Help! New Dad 100 Sea Horses

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wingnut247

Some New Guy
I came to my classroom this morning and found 100 baby sea horses... I didnt know that the Dad was that far along.

I know I need to feed little micro scopic zoo plankton... but I have none ready.

Anyone have a health culture going?

Anyone that knows how to take care of some... want some baby sea horses?

The tank is a 25 tall... fairly new... about 3 weeks old with live sand from LFS and about 8 lbs of year old live rock.

I'm pretty new and know just the basics.

any help would be great.

-Travis

How small are these babies? I can get you started with some baby brine shrimp, but I don't have enough rotifers right now if they're really small. You might want to contact Reefman69, he may have a good supply of rotifers if that's what's needed. I can supply the green water and information on raising them. Good luck!

Susie

I can help out. Do you know what species they are? If reidi or kuda it's best to start with rotifers, any other species new hatch brine shrimp - within hours of hatch is best. It's not absolutely necessary that they eat the first day or two (although the sooner the better). I have both rotifers and new hatch brine - where are you located? If you want to try to raise them, I'll help.If you want someone to take them off your hands I can help there too. Sending PM.

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum Travis and congrats on the little horses. I hope you enjoy your time here:)

To all:

Thanks for the quick responses... looks like Wink is going to help me out and get me going.

I will try to keep you updated.

This is the best forum... I have learned alot here and I'm greatful for the help.

They look great.. nice stocky shape. I'm looking forward to this.

By the way, you do know that you'll probably be getting new broods every 14-15 days now, right?

how cute are they???!!! :) I have plenty of bbs but I'm no where close to you anymore ;) Good luck raising them whoever takes on the task!

a couple things with feeding babies, they need a high concentration of food : rotifers are good, baby brine shrimp newly hatched are also good and easier to raise quickly
various types of setups you can use, some use a pseudo kreisel, circular flow to keep the babies off the surface (avoiding snicking air) and food concentrated - can be fancy or air line with slow air release from air pump in a fishbowl...air generates a current.

important is water quality, having a small tank with large sump is ideal, so food can be concentrated, but water quality stable...babies are very sensitive to nitrates.

feeding has to be often every couple hours or they can starve, just like adults they need to eat frequently and bbs/rotifers if not gut loaded or soaked in vitamins are not very nutritious.
soaking fresh bbs in selco is a good way to help
rotifers in green water is another, as the green water takes up toxins to grow and feeds the rotifers
frequent water changes are also important.
keeping the tank bottom cleaned of the dead and detritus is important as this can generate more ammonia and such...
DanU at seahorse.org and Seahorsesource.com has a good article on his setup for breeding.
http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/scaleerectus.pdf

another type of setup for raising fry:
http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/HomeSeahorseFarm.shtml

one thing, is if you don't succeed this time, you will have lots more to try with and time to plan a good setup.

Good luck with them :)

I went up there Wednesday night and got Travis set up with rotifers, brine, etc. Really enjoyed meeting him and seeing his classroom. Travis was kind enough to share his fry with me. I think I got about 75% of them.
Here are some photos from Wednesday night. I magnified the first pic and counted.. looks like 234 fry shown and there were a few more off camera... plus the ones Travis kept.. probably about 350 total. By the way, that is standard airline in the pic and they aren't in it, they are in front of it, on it, and behind it.:)

I'm 99% certain that they are Reidi - probably the most difficult fry (because they are the smallest) of the species commonly available - But we're gonna give it our best shot.

Wink said:
I'm 99% certain that they are Reidi - probably the most difficult fry (because they are the smallest) of the species commonly available - But we're gonna give it our best shot.

Well if someone could do it, you guys can :)

Lots of rots and nhbbs

Best,
Ilham

Is there anyone around Lake Stevens with a good green water culture that they could give me a start of? I have a good amount of rotifers going but DTs is get'n spendy... is it cheaper to make your own green water? What do you feed the green water?

Congrats! They will probably have 5 or 6 broods about 15 days apart before taking any real break - could be more. In the wild their breeding season is spring and summer - artificial photoperiods and temps can confuse them in tanks. Pregnancy takes a lot out of the male, and some don't eat well towards the end, so you might want to keep an eye that he doesn't start getting thin and be sure to fatten him up again after a birth.

Back