Help please now what is going on?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kitteness

okay i have been doing everything like suppose to and the fish are doing better but now the coral catfish does not look good at all. Now what should I do take him out and put back into the main tank? I put the uv sterilizer on my main tank today also. So would that help with me chancing the ich by putting him back in the main tank?

I thought he would be okay in the Qt tank? I guess not? He breathing heavy an not moving around just staying in same spot and looks like he struggling to stay swimmin

fish without scales dont do well with normal treatments, if this is a smooth fish i would put him back in the main tank. they usually do not have problems with the parasites other fish have like the ones i think your dealing with. still acclimate slowly when moving and in the dark if possible, to avoid any more stress on the animal. also check your ph and copper levels and especially ammonia in the qt! hope this helps.

hmmm i just did water change so the levels should of dropped but i still gonna take him out cuz he is getting pale

thanks i just didn't want to do something i was gonna regret so i wanted another opinion just in case

okay wait what about the watchman goby i have in the QT still ? he doesn't have scales? he seems okay but he not as active as he used to be he is white and has pink stripes he is huge

any fish without scales should not be in the treatment tank. i mentioned this earlier in your original request for help but i think it got lost in the overwhelming volume of good information provided by others.

ya i wasn't sure what to do some said take it out some said keep it in then i just got plain confused on what to do since i was so overwhelmed with everything

So i should take the goby out too? even if he seems fine? Actually i guess i need to change my thinking and stop waiting to see a problem and try to prevent the problem from happening that is gonna be hard

yea, the scaless fish dont seem to have trouble with the paricites like the other fish. they can stay in a tank with an outbreak of ich when all others have to be removed for treatment. the other side of the coin is they cant tolerate some of the treatments other fish can.

Scaleless fish are just as suceptible as all others, they just have a higher resistance to the parasite. Do not be fooled into hobbyists myths and make the mistake of reinfesting your tank. Scaleless fish are also able to handle the treatment you are using (Cupramine) providing you are monitoring the levels correctly. It must be maintained between 0.4-0.5 ppm. Like any other copper, too high and it will poison the fish. Water quality is also paramount so be sure that is being monitored as well.

Cheers
Steve

alright that just sucks i saved the little guy from the QT tank and then I wake up this morning to him dead because I had a temporary powerhead in there (i don't have a guard for this one) that he got sucked into probably trying to clean it.

I am starting to get very discouraged, I really liked the fella and it was all my fault not to mention all the other fish that have died already because of me. How am I supposed to stay enthusiastic? I still have my other fish (my prize clown pair) but still i really like the coral catfish.

What does the copper level test at? What are the nitrogen levels (NH3/NO2/NO3), salinity and ph?

The problems your experiencing could easily be "fixable" but we need the information from you to do so!! :cool:

Cheers
Steve

after i took out the coral catfish out and put him into the main tank(to kill him errr!) i tested the copper and it was low again right after water change it was .25ppm so i added 1.5mL cupramine more and i now need to go test again this morning to see what its at i don't like add to much at a time

The pH has been 8.2, ammonia .3ppm, nitrite .25, nitrate 20 ppm i keep doing the 15g water changes almost everyday I missed one day but all the fish were doing fine and i changed right away as soon as i could

You should actually do twice daily water changes with those numbers. Anything above 0.1 ammonia is very harmful and you need to keep that as low as possible. Nitrite is less harmful but still a concern and should be lowered as well. I would suggest testing these two at minumum 2x daily. Once in the morning before work and again when you get home.

As for the copper level, you really need to dose the new SW with Cupramine before you use it. This will help ensure the copper level is maintained correctly. If it keeps yo-yoing, your not going to come out of this very well.

Cheers
Steve

IMO, tanks and fish to best with a hands off approach. If the tank had at least some bacteria in there (and its impossible not to), I would just sit back and let things stabilize naturally. A tank getting constantly waterchanged to remove ammonia and nitrite is going to take much longer to reach a functional natual ballence.

If I were in your situation, I would likely do something like move all the livestock into a quarenteen with just NSW and a couple of sponge filters over the intakes of powerheads to filter things, perhaps a dribble of a live bacteria solution wouldnt hurt.

Then I would dump in a few teaspoons of household ammonia into the display tank (depending on size). This is going to cause your ammonia processing bacteria to skyrocket, and hours later your nitrite processing bacteria will do the same. After that, I would let ammonia and nitrite reach zero on there own, while makeing sure to keep feeding the tank the same amount of food you do when its stocked. This shouldnt take long. Then I would add the fish back to the display.

my QT is where the numbers are coming from, the main display i am trying to get the nitrate down in the main display. At the same time I am trying to get my 210g tank set up so i don;t have to put any fish back into the 55g main. I want tohave the 210g set up and cycled for the QT fish to go back to. in a couple of days the lights will be here so i can start the setup process.

I don't understand do i put the water in the bucket with the copper all in or am i using it as a measured amount to add to the tank a bit at a time?

I just tested my QT tank again and got pH 8.2, ammonia .6ppm , nitrite .25ppm , and nitrate 10 ppm and copper at .4

The instructions on the Hagen ammonia test kit say that if the results are under 1.2 then to just keep adding their nutrafin (some sort of bacteria supplement I assume and I don't have it and am not adding it of course) but it has a chart for if it does go over 1.2 and to measure the pH with to get the results of true ammonia but i have not had to use that chart yet.

Another thing I am wondering is if I am doing the water changes don't I still need a bit of ammonia to get the cycle process going? Which it seems it is going but not leveling out so I am a bit confused on how long it will take with all the water changes going on?

So if my coral catfish died in the main tank what happens if he released any venom?

liveforphysics said:
IMO, tanks and fish to best with a hands off approach. If the tank had at least some bacteria in there (and its impossible not to), I would just sit back and let things stabilize naturally. A tank getting constantly waterchanged to remove ammonia and nitrite is going to take much longer to reach a functional natual ballence.

If I were in your situation, I would likely do something like move all the livestock into a quarenteen with just NSW and a couple of sponge filters over the intakes of powerheads to filter things, perhaps a dribble of a live bacteria solution wouldnt hurt.

Then I would dump in a few teaspoons of household ammonia into the display tank (depending on size). This is going to cause your ammonia processing bacteria to skyrocket, and hours later your nitrite processing bacteria will do the same. After that, I would let ammonia and nitrite reach zero on there own, while makeing sure to keep feeding the tank the same amount of food you do when its stocked. This shouldnt take long. Then I would add the fish back to the display.
Luke, the discussion is about a QT with fish currently being treated for C. Irritans. I know your trying to be helpful but it's confusing the situation. :cool:

Kitteness, I would suggest you completely ignore the above info in regards to your QT. You'll have a tank of dead fish. :D

Kitteness said:
in a couple of days the lights will be here so i can start the setup process.
You don't need the lights to cycle the tank. Get it started now. By the time the fish in the QT are finished the treatment, the 210 will be close to cycled. Do not use anything from the 55 gal if you can help it. You will add an additional 2 months before it can be used. If you can keep the 210 parasite free, it and the fish would be ready in just about 4 weeks.

I don't understand do i put the water in the bucket with the copper all in or am i using it as a measured amount to add to the tank a bit at a time?
Add only the amount to the bucket so it tests at 0.4-0.5 ppm Cupramine. When you use this method instead of dosing the QT, your numbers will be more accurate and you'll use less regent from the test kit and it will last longer.

I just tested my QT tank again and got pH 8.2, ammonia .6ppm , nitrite .25ppm , and nitrate 10 ppm and copper at .4
0.4 is fine on the copper but you have to get that ammonia reading below 0.1 ppm. Do at least a 50% water change ASAP and then another 50% before you go to bed. You'll most likely need to change that amount twice a day. Your problems are being created by the nitrogen proicess, not the copper or the parasite.

The instructions on the Hagen ammonia test kit say that if the results are under 1.2 then to just keep adding their nutrafin (some sort of bacteria supplement I assume and I don't have it and am not adding it of course) but it has a chart for if it does go over 1.2 and to measure the pH with to get the results of true ammonia but i have not had to use that chart yet.
Ammonia is pH dependant and there are two types. NH4+ which is ammonium or ionized ammonia and not a concern at higher pH values like that in marine aquaria. The one your concerned about is NH3- or unionized ammonia. The higher NH3- gets relative to pH, the more toxic it becomes. An example would be an ammonia level of 1.0 @ a pH of 8.0 would be less toxic than if the pH was at 8.2. Hagen makes two different test kits, one for FW and one for SW.
Here is the chart... http://www.novalek.com/kpd66.htm

Another thing I am wondering is if I am doing the water changes don't I still need a bit of ammonia to get the cycle process going? Which it seems it is going but not leveling out so I am a bit confused on how long it will take with all the water changes going on?
Not so and often misunderstood. You do not need large amounts of ammonia, nitrite or nutrient to cycle a tank. As long as the numbers register on the test kit, the bacteria have a fuel source. Minimal readings are what you need. If you allow the ammonia (especially) or the nitrite to get too high the fish will not survive. This is especially important while using a copper treatment.

So if my coral catfish died in the main tank what happens if he released any venom?
It won't, just be sure you dispose of it carefully (do not handle) and soon.

Cheers
Steve

okay there is no way that i can not use the stuff from the 55g for setting up the 210g I have been stocking my tank for months so i would have lots of stuff to put in the 210g. I have some huge pieces of rock and so forth. I could use all new sand though and just take out the sand in the 55g and let it dry out and use it 6 or so months down the line though

I went and double checked i do have the saltwater hagen test kit for the ammonia

Well I don't have enough RODI water saved up because i changes water in the 55g main and the 37g last night so i am going to have to use some tap water to do the changes do I use prime or anything for that matter with the tapwater?

Kitteness said:
okay there is no way that i can not use the stuff from the 55g for setting up the 210g I have been stocking my tank for months so i would have lots of stuff to put in the 210g. I have some huge pieces of rock and so forth. I could use all new sand though and just take out the sand in the 55g and let it dry out and use it 6 or so months down the line though
I didn't say you should never use the stuff from the 55 gal, just that it can not be used initially. If the 55 gal remains as is and fallow for 8 weeks, the items can then be transfered later on.

do I use prime or anything for that matter with the tapwater?
No, absolutley no water conditioners. Use a strong powerhead and aerate overnight with the salt in the water. By morning the chlorine will have blown off. If you have some, also use a bag of carbon but do not add the Cupramine to the mix until tomorrow. Remove the carbon before you add the Cupramine.

Cheers
Steve

okie dokie but if i am really lucky maybe i will have enough of the RODI water to use for a water change I have maybe 10g that i will use tonight and then keep my fingers crossed for tomorrow then i shouldn't have to use the tap water but i will put some tap water in the buckets for the second change then for the end of the day. I am gonna have to get a bigger garbage can for holding water i think this one is like 50g maybe but that will never be enough backup for the 210g. My garbage can was heavy duty and sprung a leak at the handles.
Where do I get something bigger and stronger for holding the water in?

I have a feeling it is going to take awhile to get my 210g up since I am so tiny i an going to have to hire some movers or something to move the tank. So hopefully i will be able to use the stuff from the main tank by then.

steve has WAY more knowledge than i do about the treatment process you are using and i would stick to his advise there. my only advise to people about treating fish in general if you have to qt and treat for ich, and the scalless fish dont have it IMO its better not to treat them because in my experience they are less prone to getting it and more sensitive to common treatments. i dont know about cupramine in particular so i defer to steves advise on that but ive seen in general the scalless fish seem to survive ok without treatment and many times dont survive treatment. i can also tell you from experience that ant powerhead or return needs to have a screen on it-its just a matter of time before something gets stuck that you dont want to. everything in the 55 can go in the 210 but not untill after the life cycle of the paricites has ended, appx 8 weeks after the last fish was removed from the infected tank. ive also had experience with tap water, and also agree with steve here. it can be used after ageing for preferably 24 hours to get rid or the chlorine and you could use some type of filter media to remove some particulates if you want but not necessary for occasional use. im sure you would have no problem recruiting some help to move your tank. most people here are more than willing to help someone in need. we all are able to help in different ways-some with brains, some with braun, some just to encourage- and all are appreciated. steve, i would like to spend some time in depth discussion when you can spare the time to maybe correct some of my information and to learn- im always looking to learn and try not to give faulty advise- only what i have experience with. dont give up "K" it will get better.

Kitteness said:
Where do I get something bigger and stronger for holding the water in?
Never used one myself but I have heard many suggest using 35 gal Brute plasctic garbage bins.

Cheers
Steve

Back