help , sohol tang slowly starving

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

coralseas

dont get it
i have this fish for about a year, and it has bin healthy . but l have seen it loose it fat body and looks very thin.
it dose not like to eat flak or any man made foods , but dose a lot of pecking around on algee and some small grape calrupa.
i all so have a neon goby starving also, about the same time as the sohol. do u guys think they have some type of parisite? some type of worms or infection , ???
let me here your 2 cents \\\

thanks
d

Have you tried Nori. I get mine at Safeway in the Asian food section. As long as it is unflavored. My Sohal loves it, as do the rest of my fish, including my bi-color blenny and the foxface lo. You can just rubberband it to a rock and toss it in.

my 2 cents are try the nori and try other seaweed type food as well as algae and maybe for meat frozen krill dipped in cyclop-eeze flake .

I have been told that selcon is also a great supplement to add to food.

ill try it , any others
dose any one else have a sohol?
what dose yours eat? what dose your tang like the most?
what would be their normal diet in the wild? culrpas,meaty food. planktons,crustations?
i have never seen my sohol eat anything other than small grape culrpa and brown and green algees.
i have one other tang with it, 1 fox face 1pair clowns,1 starving 1 neon goby 1 six line 1 grama.
all are doing great
the other tang is a blue spot unicorn
and hes a pig, but never mean to the sohol, some times the fox face lets the sohol know whos boss , but never beats him or chases realy.
i feed 3 type of culrpa , and formula 2 and 1 small and medum pellets , i used to use flake but i would have to feed them so much it cost way too much.
let me know if u can think of anything.
do u think i may have some sort of inturnal problon ? like parisites?
thanks
any ideas would help . i have had it for too long to let it die

Don't be afraid of trying a variety of "terrestrial" food types. Don't fall inot the trap that if it didn't come from the ocean you shouldn't use it. Broccoli, spinach and other dark green veggies are a great addition. Just be sure they are frozen first (and thawed after) to break down the fibers making them easier to digest.

Saltwater Fish - Improving Their Diets

It may take a day or two for the fish to "warm up" to it's presence and feed, you just need to be patient. It may take a few attempts.

Cheers
Steve

Trying some frozen mysis soaked in selcon or zoecon couldnt hurt either. And if that doesn't work you could try soaking it in entice.
From my experience that combo has got a lot of picky eaters to start eating.

-JoJo

hi i feed all my fish a bit of roasted seaweed, that i buy from the chinse shops, most people use it to make sushi rolls but my fish love it, it floats but if you soak it in hot water for a while it will sink.

I know a lot of garlic is not supposed to be that great for our reefs, but I "do" know that on the occassions I have soaked some flake in it my Tang goes nuts for it...just dont use very much....HTH it has worked for me. I rarely use it and have seen no ill effects.

I use the Nori too, and all my fish go for it not just the tang...even my percs like it. I roll it up so they cant tear the strip off so easy then clip it onto the side of the tank with one of those suction cup clips.

Last edited:
My New Naso Tang would not eat anything but algae off the rocks. I tried a new frozen food last night, Hikari's Bio-Pure® Spirulina Brine Shrimp. My tang immediately started eating it.

I find that when I see my fish looking a little peekish I every now and then soak a little garlic extreme on some seaweed & they go nutz eating it all up, I usually have to vacuum shortly afterwards lol, that and new water changes always seem to perk things up.

I have also gotten great results from Hikari's Bio-Pure® Spirulina Brine Shrimp. All the fish in my tank love it.

Back