help with 125!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Actually that would be under perfect conditions, If you include elbows at all or other restricting fittings it cuts it way down to around 1,500gph. Most of the charts I've seen rates drains at 1,500 gph because of that.

:) The charts are based on open top pipe which makes them inaccurate since nobody uses open top pipes. A 1.5" herbie will flow 3800gph easily partially closed.

Don

ok... gotcha. i am a little over whelmed as i was not anticapating this project. i am thinking i will just keep my system for this new tank the same as i have now minus the weir overflow and i will drill for bulkheads for the flow to the sump.
as for flow as of right now i have 2 2000gph moded maxi's,a 1200gph and a 800gph korila. so that is 6000gph in a 125... is that good for sps?

Why skip the weir. Thats just asking for problems and very poor surface skimming?

Don

Seems like you would have drainage problems as you would when you drain a sink at home, thought the air pipe lets it flow better? I had a short pipe in the overflow once & It was under 6" of water but it gurgled & didn't drain well, so apparently I'm missing something here.
teach me something Don! :)

Seems like you would have drainage problems as you would when you drain a sink at home, thought the air pipe lets it flow better? I had a short pipe in the overflow once & It was under 6" of water but it gurgled & didn't drain well, so apparently I'm missing something here.
teach me something Don! :)

Simple one word explanations "Siphon" . Take a look at the overflow in my overhaul thread. Blazer also has some pics in his new system thread. Running drains like this is dead silent and bubble free.

Don

All I see in yours is a BH at the bottom, so water just siphons from the bh that is mounted at the bottom of the overflow down to the sump, does the sump need to be in water also? I've had a bh in a overflow once & tried that but it didn't work. Do you have any site that I could look at how it is done?

ahh...ok lets see, it is a glass tank, not reef ready. i don't like the weir because the siphon always breaks do to air trapped in it. there is a airline tube on the top that i have hooked up to the return pump, but it isn't working correctly due to there being no restriction on the imput of the pump like a venturi, its just a open tube with no taper. so every night i get home i have to put my finger over half the imput so it will suck all the air out. pita.
guess i can just do a venturi as i like the surface skimming.

ahh...ok lets see, it is a glass tank, not reef ready. i don't like the weir because the siphon always breaks do to air trapped in it. there is a airline tube on the top that i have hooked up to the return pump, but it isn't working correctly due to there being no restriction on the imput of the pump like a venturi, its just a open tube with no taper. so every night i get home i have to put my finger over half the imput so it will suck all the air out. pita.
guess i can just do a venturi as i like the surface skimming.

Your talking about an external overflow box not a weir. External boxes are a drag a weir or internal box will not flood.

Don

All I see in yours is a BH at the bottom, so water just siphons from the bh that is mounted at the bottom of the overflow down to the sump, does the sump need to be in water also? I've had a bh in a overflow once & tried that but it didn't work. Do you have any site that I could look at how it is done?

No site. I did see some on rc. There is a decent discussion that talks about using three bulkheads that I almost did but decided two was plenty after testing it out. No it doesnt have to be under water on the sump side but it may make noise if its not. Most people use a gate valve on the short side but I just adjust the depth of the output, figured out it does the same thing as a valve without the fear of plugging.

Don

so it uses two bh's with one pipe above the water & the other submerged? Both connect together under the tank, then drain into the sump?

so it uses two bh's with one pipe above the water & the other submerged? Both connect together under the tank, then drain into the sump?

They are not connected together. Only one is flowing water. The other just hangs out in case a big fish plugs the short one.

Don

So is this 125 all glass ?

If it's glass how thick is it and how many holes and how strong of a closed loop to estimate the size of the holes ?

Wave box's are supposed to create a strain on tanks and maker them last a shorter period of time and if it's glass with allot of closed loop holes this may be a concern ?

As I understand reverse deep sand bed settups can be run from , and back to the sump. I am not aware of any special plumbing.

yea they're called remote deep sand beds and calfo praises them in his book. i am going to just keep the pluming the same but i would really like to hear some aquascaping ideas...

and the other thing is i don't have a high gph return pump...
i will be able to keep the rocks off the sandbed with the pvc and as it is now i think i have enough lr for this kind of aquascaping

Back