Help with island tank design!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I think you'll enjoy your tank very much, even though 4' 6" is a little different, the sizes are very nice. Today I was comparing PFO ballast, the power consumption is my main concern. From the reading I've done the PFO MH & HIQ MH is a big difference in power consumption, each light 250 Watt MH lamps, the HIQ overdrives the lamps quite a bit but you get a ton of PAR. What really gets me is when you compare the PFO 400 watt ballast, this is where it gets tricky, you can use the same amount of power on the standard ballast as the HIQ 250 watter. So now that leads me to thinking ok for the same amount of power being consumed which is better PAR performance the HIQ ballast driving a 250 watt or the regular 400 watt ballast driving a 400 watt lamp at normal power, thus longer bulb life? I can't find the test in this circumstance but to me if I'm going to pay for 2.5 amps or 5.4 amps I want the most for my money. These test don't cover this from what I've yet seen, I need to research this farther but this will also pertain to your tank & any other tank considering the PFO over an electronic ballast. You see the testing against a electronic ballast shows them at way less PAR but at what price, are we comparing apples to apples here? I need to study this more, sorry don't mean to take over your thread but this is got me wondering.

I have to dig into this further too. I am putting the lights out last in my purchases since I have much else to do before I am ready. This will allow me to study the options a little more. The nice thing is though, it is pretty easy to modify or add to your lighting situation.

I agree, get your plumbing right, the rest is cake! I read more last night but nothing that helps, to me the 400 watt regular ballast & 250 watt driven by the HQI produce close numbers.

So from what I am seeing here the more we delay you the bigger your tank gets.............

I can't wait to see pictures of this thing, very impressive ideas and will be a very cool tank.

Tim

Okay a noise question... I am planning on locating my closed loop pumps below the floor (crawlspace). I have no experience with Iwaki pumps. Will I hear a couple Iwaki 70s and a couple Iwaki 40s (Japan) powering my system?

Most likely not unless they are having a problem with something binding up the impeller.

Nick

Okay it has been since May since I posted on my island tank design. After very slow progress during the summer I am happy to report that things are happening now. My poor tank stand although in the living room has become a disproportionate plant stand. The cat has even taken up roost where the sump is supposed to be!

Aquarium%20details-20.JPG

But fear not... I have just completed my canopy minus one fan and the doors.
Aquarium%20details-03.JPG

Here's me doing some electrical... notice the utility knife in hand and the box of bandaids on top shelf...
Aquarium%20details-07.JPG

Powered on the actinics and yes! You gotta love that blue light!
Aquarium%20details-11.JPG

Looking good man! I like your canopy setup. That should provide your tank with really good lighting! Now zip your fly:shock: :lol:

Looking good man! I like your canopy setup. That should provide your tank with really good lighting! Now zip your fly:shock: :lol:

Dood you caught that LOL, now this officially makes you a mad reefer!:lol:
looking good, glad to see some progress!

Thanks Krish, my girlfriend took that shot. At least the tequila was out of view! I fired up the MH's and can't wait for the tank now. I should have the tank and sump in the house by mid October.

Here is my plumbing pile sitting on the raised panel doors I am making for the stand and canopy.
Aquarium%20details-12.JPG

Man...That is really going to look nice! I love how the doors are coming out. Should be a really nice setup when all is said and done:)

Thank you and yes quite a project. I am kind of anal and slow but I am building the stand and canopy out of solid honduran mahogany. I am getting a little nervous because I think the total weight of this thing is around 3500lb!!! I hope it doesn't collapse on the first water fill... LOL.

Now I have to cut some holes in the living room floor to route my main and 4 CLs to 5 pumps that will be located in the crawl space away from the living room to hopefully keep this super quiet.

Times for some update Pics! LOL
I'll take some more when I get the Jartica LR from Sharks reef!

Back