Help with Octopus HOB skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NC2WA

I recently purchased the new Octopus HOB 1000 skimmer. It is the upgrade to the 100BH skimmer with the only difference is the pump is OUTSIDE of the tank.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CV-OCT-BH-1000&Category_Code=Octopus

I am having problems getting this skimmer up and running. It appears the pump is not primed and the chamber column is NOT fill with bubbles. With the lack of instructions, I have NO idea how to tshoot this problem. (Basically, I don't know what all the parts do and therefore am clueless and need some help).

If anyone is in the Bothell area and wants to take a look, let me know. I have contacted the online vendor where I made the purchase as well as Coralvue; both were no help.

Kirk

You need to find a way to start the siphon on the intake tube. Does it have a john guest fitting on the intake? If it does then you need to hook that to the airline of your pump. Fill the skimmer about half full of water, open the john guest valve and then plug the pump in. As soon as all the air is sucked out of the intake pipe ( you will see water in the airline), close the john guest valve and disconnect the airline from the john guest valve.

If it does not have a john guest valve could you take a pic, sometimes stock photos are horrible. HTH!

Last edited:
this one is different willy...
technically, (i emailed him this)
you should fill the entire skimmer body with water until it starts returning to the tank, then submerge or close the airline to begin the siphon. it might take a few minutes to get the siphon started, but it should work just fine.
fyi, i 'd also make sure to check the unions that attach the pump to the bottom of the skimmer body, and air line on pump volute to make sure they are super tight and not leaking/sucking air

it has airline hose with an air value that needs to be in the closed position until the bubbles appear in the chamber column. (or so the instructions say)

to be honest, the instructions are HORRIBLE at best. I have already sent a letter to the President of Coralvue indicating this.

Mark,

I believe I did this. Again, I don't have anything to go by as the instruction don't indicate any type of tshooting.

You might be getting a call from me to come over.
I've sent you a PM.

:)

It's always great when manufacturers change things. Can you post a pic of your skimmer? The instructions a.k.a. parts list is horrible. I helped Nikki get hers running, all it came with was a parts list if I remember right.

I think you will be happy with it once you get it running

That's sucks man. I own a 300f model and had 2 Resun pumps die out on me since March. Dealing with Coralvue was PITA so I just replaced a dead Resun with Sedra. It sounds like the air intake on the external pump may be clogged with glue or something.

Glue is a common problem but honestly those external pump's are a terrible idea. One the pump's have startup probs sometimes, two they will flood when the power goes out if you don't have the venturi hose setup correctly, three is they may leak out of the fittings and four the nipple breaks off easily on those pump's, yet again flooding. If the pump were inside the body, none of that would be an issue.

luke, your going to make me cry....:cry:lol

but, it should be fine as long as the thing doesnt fail, and i'll be tuning that bish up to work goods;)

yes, the otp pumps arent the greatest, but as long as the air line is up above water level, it should be fine. i've seen otp pumps run externally on reactors for long periods of time with no fail/leakage/overheating. so as long as the cat/child/satan doesnt bump into it, it should have no reason to fail.
but i share your sentiment, octopus needs to move away from that pump, but at least it can be modded for performance, as you know...:)

Mark (et.al),

This skimmer will be in an office, so I am very scared when I hear the terms pump failing and leaking in the same sentence. I CANNOT afford any leaks in my office, I love my job too much. If this is going to be a problem and unless a mesh mod can permanently solve this problem, I will send the skimmer back now.

Kirk

just try it out kirk, it'll prolly be just fine...were just discussing the finer points of potential worst case scenario failure...
it'll most likely be just fine as long as it's set up properly.
and there isnt a hob in the world that wont potentially leak, or overflow.
the deltec mce 600 is a pro at it....

Yep, pretty much all hot's can leak. I would however put this one at the very top of the list from the design though. Just make sure the connections aren't leaking and you have the venturi hose above teh water level in the skimmer. And i'd pry run it somewhere besides your office for a week just in case, as you don't want to show up to work with a mess.

also, an installed drain in the collection cup going to a 1 or 2 liter coke bottle will help with potential overflows...

and i still think these will be better than the models with the resun pumps...hate the resun pumps....

Yep, there better than the resun's easily. Just would have been better to put the pump inside the body.

yeah, like that original swc knock off version you posted a pic of at DR,
why didnt they just do that i wonder??? there's gotta be less backpressure on the pump, hence better performance...
wait, this is CV were talking about here, i forgot...

I'd pass on that one unless you have a really small tank. With the pump being in your tank it has to push the air up then down so its severely restricting its performance. Those resun pump's have a high failure rate as well. What size of tank are you looking to skim and what price range are you in?

Luke,

I do. It is only 40g. I made the exchange this morning. Sending the 1000 model back and getting the 100SS model instead. Whether or not this was a wise move is yet to be seen

At this point, I just want something that works.
:D:D

Back