Help with Octopus HOB skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I cannot really remember what size tank you were planning or what your stocking plan is. But I think if I was going to consider a tank in my office, (which I would not, explained below) I would skip the skimmer, due to all potentional problems and odors and keep the bio load real low and would instead do daily water changes at least 5 out of 7 days, bringing water from home each day. Of course then you have issues with vacations. If it was a small company or home office I would have a different opinion but I believe you work in a large corporate environment like I do.

The last team I worked with wanted a Betta as a team mascot and I got elected to take care of it:p. From that experience (and betta's are easy to care for) I would not bring a fish into the office again. I could not control who would mess with the tank, what they would put in the tank or what cleaners might be used around the tank. I came in on a monday to discover the carpets had been cleaned (and since the splat of toner on the carpet was gone I suspect some strong chemicals were used in the area) and the fish was not doing well, I ran to the store for some distilled water did a water change, the fish hung on for about 2 weeks (it was sad to watch) before passing.

not really enough skimmer for 40g but, i know you arent willing to spend $200-300 that it would take to get you something better so...
but i would change the model you got from the bh100ss to the regular bh100,
that surface skimmer on the ss is bulky, ugly and just about worthless...

tired calling to change order, but the box has already left the store.
:( :(

It is schedule to arrive next Wednesday, Oct 8th.

Mark,

I received it last Thursday. I wanted to test it out at home and make sure it did not leak before I brought it to work.

It runs great, it immediately fill up with water and primed in several seconds. I do not hear the pump. So far I am pleased with it. I still need to get the hang on positioning the overflow cup. For now going to hold off on the Sedra.

Kirk

wonderful..when the pumps stops, is there a potential for the skimmer to leak??

i wouldnt think so, as the pump is in the tank and the air hose is above the water level.

As long as your hose is above the water level you'll be fine.

And not all the pump's burn up. Some last for a year or two.

Luke,

thanks for the info...

Can you or Mark explain to me how the collection cup works?

I see where I can adjust it via the ring, but not sure what I'm doing. If I want a wetter skim, do I want the cup higher or lower in the chamber???

Well I don't know how that skimmer works, but on the CPR bak pak skimmer when you want wetter skimate you would have the cup lower and vice versa if you want dryer skimate

^^^^ Yeppers

Just keep it a bit high while breaking in. I'd have the foam head at the very bottom of the neck to start.

Back