Helping Kevin

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NWDiver

Swimming with the fishes
Hey guys,
Spoke again with Kevin, and he needs to get the fish moved to new homes.
He has them posted for great prices, and he would like to sell them out in a one day deal.
I'm looking for ideas as to the best way to get them sold.
I'm not too keen on shipping them though we could probably sell them all that way, I'm not sure how to do that.
Do you islanders think that the store over there would be interested in some good prices?
Any other ideas?
I can take the rock and put it in a stock tank in my shop, but the sand and fish I have no where to put it.
Dave wants to store his 300 in my shop, I guess with some work, I could keep the fish for a while...
Help?

Hey guys,
Spoke again with Kevin, and he needs to get the fish moved to new homes.
He has them posted for great prices, and he would like to sell them out in a one day deal.
I'm looking for ideas as to the best way to get them sold.
I'm not too keen on shipping them though we could probably sell them all that way, I'm not sure how to do that.
Do you islanders think that the store over there would be interested in some good prices?
Any other ideas?
I can take the rock and put it in a stock tank in my shop, but the sand and fish I have no where to put it.
Dave wants to store his 300 in my shop, I guess with some work, I could keep the fish for a while...
Help?

Todd - I believe a few of us are heading up there tomorrow, are you planning on going? we can all brainstorm while we are up there.

Sorry Mike, I have to finish this project up tonight so I'll give you the short version.
Kevin aka Khaosinc has some health issues. He keeps a 750gal reef up in Everson.
He has a ton of livestock, BIG livestock that has to find a new home.
He needs to get things gone in a hurry so I'm working on some ideas.
It is a long trip up there for most, and catching the fish for each person as they want them would be near impossible.
We want to sell them in advance and setup a one day pickup to minimize the impact on Kevin.
I'm gathering a list of livestock and sizes, I will try to get some good photos shortly and get some ads going.
He has some ads posted here, but he has not received the response he needs.

Sounds good, its always nice to see members helping each other out. Makes sure you post a list, In this case with the member having health issues and so on I dont think it would be an issue to post that list also in you club forum.

Mojo

Thanks guys! I will get together a list and I hope some pictures, as soon as Kevin is up for it.

-Todd

So when are you going up there and do we have a group going? or just u? I can probably help one day from Sat to Tuesday. I might be able to store some stuff. If you need pm me. I live in Everett but go up to Bham every other Friday.

Cool, thanks psb!
Thanks Mojo-Mike! I will put the list and photo's here as soon as Kevin feels up to it.
Thanks Fishy-Mike! I will do that. It will be great if you guys know of someone who would be interested in his fish.
Yamaha, cool! If you nudge the people down your way to have a look at the list (once I post it) and you are willing to do a delivery down that way awesome! He has a crazy amount of snails! I'm sure we can get you a great deal.
Once we have buyers for the livestock I will ask for people to help catch/package and deliver/ship the fish, it is more than a one man job in the 750 :)
I think we can work out a one day delivery to say Everett/Seattle/Tacoma, each a few hours apart if people will put deposits on the fish, and there are enough purchases.

-Todd

i wish there was something i could do to help.... i have no car, or extra money,
but if some folks are going up there and there is any help needed,
moving, cleaning, bagging, etc please lmk. i live in the lake forest park neighborhood
and would be happy to volunteer for whatever.

the lfs on the island doesnt have room to house any large fish. maybe 2"-3" fish at the most. i would love to buy some but i dont have the room for them. im sorry i couldnt make it today i had to finish up my fish room's flooring and im still not done i have grout it still. if you need more space for anything i have a 100g stock tank thats plumbed. and a 100g acrylic tank. let me know

Did you guys even make it over there today. Or is this something that we need to have locked down before we go up. Has he thought of possibly donating the fish to the aquarium. It is going to be hard to find a tank that is going to comfortly house a fish that have come accustom to a 700 gallon lifestyle.

Did you guys even make it over there today. Or is this something that we need to have locked down before we go up. Has he thought of possibly donating the fish to the aquarium. It is going to be hard to find a tank that is going to comfortly house a fish that have come accustom to a 700 gallon lifestyle.

Todd is heading this all up as Kevin isnt really up to a mass of people showing up. Once Todd (NWDiver) gets ahold of Kevin, we can see where things need to go from There.

Happy New Year To Y'all!

Looking back at the livestock prices I realize that I am a complete idiot. I had the Koran in my hand but was so focused on taking the tank down that I just moved it into the 750. Drat.

I will take the sailfins, angel, and tangs once they are available. As soon as I can get the 300 up I will move the reef into a 180.

I will help out the day of the big take down as I own Kevin some cleanup time as I was getting tired towards the end and left a small pile of powerheads under the tank and a few pounds of sand in his wetdry vac...

dog faced puffer 4" or so $20
Koran Angel 4" $20
salt water adapted mollies $1
Chromies (5 of em) $1 each
Xmas wrasse 6" or so $25
6 line wrasse really small $5
Big hermits $2
misc. snails $0.50 each
small mangroves $2 bigger ones $5
Lots of macros... many types $1-$5 a clump

(these are the fish in the main tank. Its 10'x4' and most of the rock as spray foamed together It may not be possible to get them out until the tank comes down)

Huge Sailfin $50
small sailfin $20
crosshatch trigger pair $200
yellow tangs $10 each
Hippo tangs $10 each
scopas tang $10
maroon clown $5
Fire clown $10
Huge RTBA $30
Damsels,chromis $1 each
Basselets $5
Leopord wrasse $30 (no idea how I'll ever catch him...)
Copper banded butterfly eats great $25
Large foxface $20
large cat sharks All the fun of a shark w/out the headache $20 each

BTW, the triggers took 4 hr to catch as they ignored the fish trap. The only fish I saw go in at any point was the trigger (once) so these may need barbless hooks or big nets. It should be really fun.

While I got a little Xmas money, I should use it for clothes so lets upgrade the above want list from "I will take" to "I can make them a permanent home in my house if needed."

@TheKraken: are you sure you want all those? I'm needing to move them along, but that is a lot of fish for a 300 much less a 180 :)
How soon can you take them? I'd love to move them the same day as the breakdown so I don't have to relocate them to my house.
I think there are 2 Sailfins, 2 or 3 yellow tangs, and 3 hippos.
I already have an offer for the angel, but if that doesn't pan out for that day, you can get him.
Please let me know when you can take them!
-Todd

What are the sizes of the yellow and blue tangs. Looking for one of each but would like to start small. I assume these ones are not.

@Skimmy- Thanks for the offer! I will let you know if anyone is headed up from your area and can give you a lift.
@YamahaF934- I think the smallest is around 4". I'll have a better idea once I catch them, it is hard to guess size in that tank.

So, it looks like we are a go for the move to my house. Justforfun is helping me this afternoon. We are going to move a pair of stock tanks, and another 260 to my house for the temporary setup.
This will let me begin the redneck plumbing plan this afternoon. Anyone wanting to join the plumbing festivites is welcome at my shop, call to let me know you are coming. 360-*7*0*8-0*0*3*3 I'm 3 miles off the Alger exit.
If anyone has a 100 gal. stock tank kicking around I could use one for a few weeks particularly if it has or if I can add a bulkhead.
Other items it looks like I will need to borrow:
Large heaters 200w plus.
A heater controller.
A scale for measuring the live rock.
Plastic plants
Larger internal pumps I have externals, but I could use the heat.
Spare salt\salt you don't like- this will be short term and fish only so cheaper stuff is fine. There will be ~700 gallons of water!
Please tape and mark your name on anything that you want returned when this is over, I want to make sure that anyone who helps, gets their stuff back in good order.

It sounds like there are several other cool fish that may be hiding in the tank, so we might have an even better list to sell after the teardown.
My plan is to offer the fish here first for 1 day before I put them in the classifieds.
If all goes well today, I should have a temporary setup that includes a 280Gal, 260Gal, and two 100Gal stocktanks with a 75Gal for his coral.
I hope the floor doesn't fail!!
Live rock!! Need to get this sold as fast as we can, it is this money that will really help him out. If you know of anyone that wants nice rock that has been running in a system long term I can set you up. I'm hoping to get him $2 per pound. There is a 300 gal sump running unlighted that is chock full of nice rock, and a HUGE amount in the 750.
After the plumbing is done, I will rent a uhaul and move the rock in heated barrels down to the stock tanks, they will be plumbed into the fish tanks, so there should be no die-off to speak of. I hope.
I can sell a fair bit of the rock right away, but I will need to keep some for filtration on the fish tanks until the fish are mostly gone. So go ahead and find a home for 1000lbs or so asap.
Thanks!

Back