here the start of my 360 gallon build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hey thank you guys for the kind words. well as you know it can happen to anyone. we all thought dad was healthy as a horse. well good thing it happened when it did and we were able to catch it befor it was to late.

okay tank is all ready to put rock and water in it. all im waiting for is to buff out the acrylic.

I hope your Dad is doing better...will say a good word for him.

hey Jim. i have a question for you. i was looking at your tank build and you made a pump into a rock pump. i would like to do the same thing but cover some pvc pipe for my closed loop. what did you use to make the man made rock. thanks for your help chad

Hey Chad, I am very sorry to hear about your dad bud. I am glad he is doing well and I will keep your family in my prayers.

The tank is progressing by nicely. Keep up the updates and keep posting pics. I am watching you..:)

hey thanks Shane. dad is doing great. he got to come home today. he is very happy to be out of the hospital.

hay does anyone know where you can by portland type 1 white cement. i cant find it no where. or is there another white cement i can use. any help would be great. thanks chad

hey thanks Shane. dad is doing great. he got to come home today. he is very happy to be out of the hospital.

hay does anyone know where you can by portland type 1 white cement. i cant find it no where. or is there another white cement i can use. any help would be great. thanks chad

I am pretty sure White Cap Construction Supply on Center St. in Tacoma carries it
Btw hope your Dad is getting better by the day.

I am pretty sure White Cap Construction Supply on Center St. in Tacoma carries it
Btw hope your Dad is getting better by the day.

hey thank you. white cap construction did have the portland type 1 white cement. they must have the market for it. almost $30.00 for 1 94 pound bag. you can get the grey at lowes for $9.00 a bag for a 92 pound bag. thanks again.

so today i mixed up some crushed oyster shells, rock salt, and some portland type 1 white cement. well my plan is to cover my 4 closed loop pvc pipe and make it look like rocks. also did my 4 returns for my other 2 closed loops. so i have to let dry for 24 hours. then soak it in water. i will post some pics of them on friday.

hey thank you. white cap construction did have the portland type 1 white cement. they must have the market for it. almost $30.00 for 1 94 pound bag. you can get the grey at lowes for $9.00 a bag for a 92 pound bag. thanks again.

so today i mixed up some crushed oyster shells, rock salt, and some portland type 1 white cement. well my plan is to cover my 4 closed loop pvc pipe and make it look like rocks. also did my 4 returns for my other 2 closed loops. so i have to let dry for 24 hours. then soak it in water. i will post some pics of them on friday.

How long will need to cure the Manmade Rock??

How long will need to cure the Manmade Rock??

i have never made this befor. i looked it up on youtube. it depends on how often you change out the water. you have to wait of all the rock salt to dissapate. some people say a few weeks if you change out the water every day. look it up on youtube under"how to make man made live rock". its pretty cool. i cant wait until friday around noon so i can take mine out and look at it.

Last edited:
I made some rock a while back. I didnt use any rocksalt.
However I did wait a lot longer than a few weeks before I was able to get the PH to 8.0- 8.2

Ooo this is a great idea!!
Does the rock salt act a part in making the rock porus?
Once the salt melts its porus??
Do you have a write up and materials needed?? My rock I have in my tank sucks!! And would love to make new shapes and have actual holes for my critters to live in.
Thanks in advance

Sent from my Evo Shift

Ooo this is a great idea!!
Does the rock salt act a part in making the rock porus?
Once the salt melts its porus??
Do you have a write up and materials needed?? My rock I have in my tank sucks!! And would love to make new shapes and have actual holes for my critters to live in.
Thanks in advance

Sent from my Evo Shift

ya as the salt melts away it leaves it porus. so use use 3 parts crushed oyster shells . you can buy crushed oyster shells at most feed stores., 2 parts rock salt that you by at home depot. its called diamond crystal solor salt. extra coarse. and also 2 parts portland type 1 white cement. first thing you do is rinse the crushed oyster shells very good until the water is clear. drain the water out and mix with salt and cement. make sure you dont add too much water. look it up on youtube. pretty cool.

Yes!! I am excited to do this! Hoping somewhere up north has the portland cement

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

okay here some pitures of the rock. just took them out of the sand. now they are soaking in water. they turned out great. way better looking then looking a pvc in a fish tank.

Attachments

• ocean motion closed loop pipe befor i made it a rock.jpg
    ocean motion closed loop pipe befor i made it a rock.jpg
    55.3 KB
  • closed loop ocean motion rock.jpg
    closed loop ocean motion rock.jpg
    102.7 KB
  • closed loop rock.jpg
    closed loop rock.jpg
    72.8 KB
  • closed loop plumbing.JPG
    closed loop plumbing.JPG
    8.8 KB
  • botton of rocks.jpg
    botton of rocks.jpg
    102.5 KB
got two of my 400 watt ballest hooked up. cant hook up the other two until i tear down my 150 gallon

Attachments

• first light on tank 1.jpg
    first light on tank 1.jpg
    54.2 KB
  • first light on tank 2.jpg
    first light on tank 2.jpg
    51.2 KB
The rocks and lights look great!!!
Not sure I understand the outlets on the closed loop pointing down

Looks great! :) Are the outputs pointing down to bounce the flow off of the tank bottom to disperse it everywhere?

Will this be closed loop be used with powerheads? I am wondering if that will be enough flow for the SPS, by the time it gets to them????

Well im doing a bare bottom tank. I already had the ocean motions. It will keep my tank clean. All my closed loops will be running a amp master pump. No powerheads. I will hav e tons of current. Alao have two mag drive 9.5 return pumps

Last edited:
This is a test to see if I can post pictures from my cell phone. Well looks like I cant. If anyone knows how. Please help

Back