Hey everybody! New and... maybe you can help?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Haha well thank you and I will if anything should arise from here. Im not new to fishkeeping and have experience in both saltwater and freshwater, I was simply looking for recommendations on inexpensive solutions for holding tanks... that simple

cool mang, and sorry,
i meant you were a noob to the site, not aquaria keeping, didnt clarify...

and yeah, as mentioned, rubbermaid containers are food grade plastic and appropriate
for quarantine/treatment/acclimation/water storage, etc

Last edited:
i am neither insulted, nor do i want to slap anyone atm... keep it up tho, that may change.

cant believe u guys dont have anything better to do than to troll a noob with Q's..
who cares if its freshwater Q's?? get a grip folks.

just sayin where do you draw the line on this very specific forum? overeaters?, parents of chidren with disablities? ( which I am)( both lol) (prob alcholic too).

I was the first to reply to this thread and advised a discus forum. seemed simple enough to me. I'm not asking advice for my sewellia lineolata tank ( which I have captive bred) or my african cichlids etc.

anyway, sorry I got invlolved! But never the less fw is NOT what this forum is about. I don't go to forums that are unrelated to reefkeeping and state that since I keep a reef alive I do just as much as the members of that particular forum.

if it wsn't for the fact that my phone this forums emails update to subscrided thread...and that update wasn't linked to my phone...and I never read the statement that " discus keeping is as involved as reefkeeping", I would not have replied.

again, I regret getting involved!

Already addressed why I posted here earlier in the forum so it can be read if desired, there arent many in washington area. That said lets leave it alone because it simply doesnt matter. And fyi if you had posted about your FW fish or problem then I would assume any normal group of people would be more than willing to help because again.... it really just isnt a big deal.

And sorry skimmy haha I guess the last couple of ridiculous posts got me a bit defensive.

dude, this is hilarious. Both because the FW guy came to a SW forum for answers and because the SW peeps are so protective and outraged. lol. I read most of this and am trying to figure out if you are looking for a solution to get "fresh", clean water or just a clean tank to hold the tap water in while it ages? If you need clean water now you can always buy distilled water by the gallon from the store and its cheap for quick solution. Use alittle baking soda if the Ph is too low. Just curious, why do you do a 50% water change daily? That sounds crazy. I would think stability would be an issue there. Anyway, good luck.

LOL i knew i would cause a stink.

IAM SRY I WAS JUST POINTING OUT THE OBVIOUS LOL>
go ahead and post here but yes iam going to be a lil defensive since this is a sw site.
-d

I have respect for anyone that keeps fish as pets and dosent flush em or just eat em... lol which ive done.

file_3332.gif

if i knew more about star trek i would totally comment. All i have to say is that im a star wars fan... ;)again im sry drew just being me and cpt obvious or a smartars as some would say.

here is a link that may help.

Discus

I appologize if this reply seemed smart...at all. I was replying from work and was keeping it brief. HOWEVER, I will stand with my position that this is not a discus forum. I do not wish to sound ......smart, when I ask what makes you so special that you deserve your own section on freshwater discus in this forum on REEF keeping? I simply ask you to defend that question. I am simply trying to prove the point here and it is in NO WAY personal! pm me and I will give you me phone number and share with with much insight to your endeavor as I too have acheived much in the freshwater realm.

Alas, I had to finally take the plunge into saltwater...and not just satlwater, but REEFKEEPING. Which is a TOTALLY different ball-game. ( keeping saltwater fish....yeah, ok. An sps reef? .....out of the park!

I too was sooooo technical, and compicated in my methods in freshwater that I had the confindence that I could handle reefkeeping ( wiht caution)........and then I learned how little did I know, and how little do I still know! This forum is about a community of people that in actuality know very little individualy ( albeit a few experts and longtimers). Its all about what we can share as a whole.

and for as little we all know....you are asking us to deviate from our focus on REEFKEEPING and somehow give you credit and respect for taking on a few discus.....that you don't even know how to care for? This is why I refered you to a discus forum, in that they will be more able to help you.

I too considerd discus at one time. I never kept them. not that they scarred me away or it was too complicate, but that If I was to keep discus I would have devoted no less than a 180g heavely planted tank running a c02 system, using rodi water, running ho lights to grow the plants...but yet having a full canopy of plants to shade the fish. at least for wild caught discus. For store bought tank bred discus....I'd throw them in ANY fw tank cuz they are NOTHING like F-1 stock.

I hope you, and anyone who reads this can appreciate that I reserve the right to be offended when someone tells me that I deserve no respect for my achievment of keeping a reeftank, and that it is no more involved than keeping a fw discus tank. and that you appreciate that the subject here is reefkeeping. not discus frontiers.

In closing, you do yourself and your fellow discus keepers no justice by resorting to a reefkeeping forum to answer your question about discus fish. and what exactly are we supposed to know? everything? I promise you I will not go to a discus forum to ask advise anything not related to discus...and not insult them by claiming my hobby is as invovled as theirs and hence implying that I belong there.

Good luck!

mkay, first off, no one single aquarist can tell another that they arent welcome here....
nor do you direct the content here in any way shape or form, nor do you determine what is appropriate for conversation or not.
THIS IS A PUBLIC FORUM!!!!
and if you are so bent out of shape answering a few freshwater questions, then i dont even know what to tell you...

no one really cares if the aqarium questions are fresh or salt, and if you do,
then go roak a fatty until your attitude gets re-adjusted.
and no, i dont recognize or appreciate any person's imagined right to feeling butt hurt
because no one appears to care what an individual members reefkeeping abilities are.
WHO CARES!!!!
we come here for pertinant information on the hobby,
and if someone from another hobby can gleen information from what i/we have learned here,
why would i not be happy to share it with them???

Let's let this argument go and move on with the conversation. The OP came to the right place, there should be plenty of help with a ph issue be it fresh or salt. Salt folks are supposed to be the chem gurus so pitch in and give the man a hand.

Thanks
Don

Last edited:
The OP came to the right place, there should be plenty of help with a ph issue be it fresh or salt. Salt folks are supposed to be the chem gurus so pitch in and give the man a hand.

Thanks
Don

super cereal...

im sorry if im too pissy,(early manopause setting in)
but i firmly believe everyone should be able to come here and ask questions in a friendly manner and not be told they dont belong here.

Last edited:
LOL i knew i would cause a stink.

IAM SRY I WAS JUST POINTING OUT THE OBVIOUS LOL>
go ahead and post here but yes iam going to be a lil defensive since this is a sw site.
-d

I have respect for anyone that keeps fish as pets and dosent flush em or just eat em... lol which ive done.

It sure is nice to know you are willing to LET a FW guy post on THIS FW site.
For being fairly new to this site you sure have a big......

super cereal...

cerealousy? I posted a pic of my river tank that I was actively breeding sewellia lineolata in and it was immediatley move to the "water fountian". Deemed inappropriate and off topic for "reef" frontiers. I was the FIRST...FIRST person EVER noted to activley captive breed these fish in a simulated natural environment IN THE WORLD. you never here me refer to it...or ask for respect here in the reefkeeping world.

it is what it is.

and again, drew...NOTHING PERSONAL ok? I mean it! I am one of those idiots that has to stick by my guns when I feel its right. sometimes I am not popular. Its a price to pay. But if you are in the right...I will defend even my enemy. and I am defending against the statement that discusdrew made claiming that discus keeping is as involved as reefkeeping.

well, that person should be punched in the face then, kpiotrowski,
and im sorry you were marginalized to the point of you thinking it was the norm...

for gods sake why dont we just end this here and now, mods...
and slap up a a little "freshwater corner" where people can ask q's and showcase...
i kno this is Reef Frontiers, but who's it going to hurt???
a BUNCH of us still love fresh, and it is a gateway drug to reefing, so very appropriate!!!

It sure is nice to know you are willing to LET a FW guy post on THIS FW site. For being fairly new to this site you sure have a big......
hey i said i was sry peppie! This is a public site, again sry for pointing out the obvious...however he is in a reef keeping general forum... i answered his q and did say i was a bit cocky that day...

First of all...Drew I wish I could help out but on the wrong side of the mountains.

Second...I know Walmart sells 5 gal containers that you use to fill up drinking water with for drinking fountains. Also maybe people might not like this but since I can't afford a RO/DI unti ATM I go to Fred Meyer and fill those 5 gal jugs with the machines that sit outside the store. They filter with carbon and two UV stages etc so it's good water. I haven't had a single issue with pH or phosphates using it and it's only $1.75 for 5 gallons. I don't know if this directly helps or not. If not sorry...if it does good.

As far as other comments I'm blaming it on all the protests going on around the country. Everyone's in a bad mood today I think. :D

hmm i do run a cichlid tank and had a low ph problem for a while then switched to ro water and the problem was cured. now on a reefkeeping side that might relate to this tank is. do u run gas appliances or have the windows shut all the time.as it is washington. you could have co2 buildup. a simple co2 scrubber filled with soda lime would fix this. i have to run 1 on my tanks now that i have gas heat and works great. co2 buildup will cause low ph.

verry simple to make hook up pump to 1 end and air to tank off other.
009.jpg

well, that person should be punched in the face then, kpiotrowski,
and im sorry you were marginalized to the point of you thinking it was the norm...

for gods sake why dont we just end this here and now, mods...
and slap up a a little "freshwater corner" where people can ask q's and showcase...
i kno this is Reef Frontiers, but who's it going to hurt???
a BUNCH of us still love fresh, and it is a gateway drug to reefing, so very appropriate!!!

thanks skimmy for your understanding, and yes my previous experince here has set my perception of the purpose of this forum.

Back