Hey everybody! New and... maybe you can help?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hmm i do run a cichlid tank and had a low ph problem for a while then switched to ro water and the problem was cured. now on a reefkeeping side that might relate to this tank is. do u run gas appliances or have the windows shut all the time.as it is washington. you could have co2 buildup. a simple co2 scrubber filled with soda lime would fix this. i have to run 1 on my tanks now that i have gas heat and works great. co2 buildup will cause low ph.

verry simple to make hook up pump to 1 end and air to tank off other.
009.jpg

trying to understand how rodi water helps a "low" ph problem? rodi water IS low ph...no carbonates. could be ph 8.0 out of the rodi system but with no buffering capability is doomed for 4.5 in no time. am I missing something?

never had ph of 8.0 out of ro\di. i store in a food grade barrel with areation and allwasys sits at 7.2 then i buffer with baked bakeing soda to raise ph. this might be out ther but what kind of filtration u useing? wondering if u have something in there that could lower ph.

plants also stabilize ph as well. and use minerals and waste from fish. my green terrors are both 10 inches long and love rearanging the plant bulbs. fun to watch

hey i said i was sry peppie! This is a public site, again sry for pointing out the obvious...however he is in a reef keeping general forum... i answered his q and did say i was a bit cocky that day...

Yep, you were pretty much holding nothing back speaking your mind. and it was discusdrew"s reply to you that discus keeping was pretty much the same as reefkeeping that had me chime in.

However, I am standing my ground that this is not a "public forum" to discuss anything as long as it related somehow to fishkeeping. got to draw the line somewhere and I say it ends at sg 1.024 unless for hyposalinty treatments. sucks to be the bad guy..."dont' shoot the messenger"!

I do regret getting involved!

just not backing down.

plants also stabilize ph as well. and use minerals and waste from fish. my green terrors are both 10 inches long and love rearanging the plant bulbs. fun to watch

do you run a 24 hour light cycle? nothing swings ph more than a lot of plants!

never had ph of 8.0 out of ro\di. i store in a food grade barrel with areation and allwasys sits at 7.2 then i buffer with baked bakeing soda to raise ph. this might be out ther but what kind of filtration u useing? wondering if u have something in there that could lower ph.

still not understanding. when You say low ph, do you mean high? then it makes sence.

aww mann u guys back off this guy. and thanks for reminding me do u use rock salt? verry good for fw tanks i use 1 tbl spoon per 10gal. and add every water change. thanks for mentioning sg levels lol. BURN!!

However, I am standing my ground that this is not a "public forum" to discuss anything as long as it related somehow to fishkeeping. got to draw the line somewhere and I say it ends at sg 1.024 unless for hyposalinty treatments. sucks to be the bad guy..."dont' shoot the messenger"!

I do regret getting involved!

just not backing down.

This is a ph question not a discus question. Folks you either have the knowledge to help with a ph issue or you don't. Give the man a hand. The argument ends here.

Thanks
Don

ro/di is easyer to stabilize because of the lack of minerals to screw things up. like mag, phos, florine, floride, choride, copper, lead,. all of theese thing are almost non existant in ro water. think of a reef that has low alk. and has problems keeping alk at the right levels. probly a mag prob or calcium. ehh

This is a ph question not a discus question. Folks you either have the knowledge to help with a ph issue or you don't. Give the man a hand. The argument ends here.

Thanks
Don

as I intially stated you start with RO/DI water....then You add a specific buffer for discus fish in the 5.5 to 6.0 range, then your favorite blackwater additves. then....then........then way to much info to discuss on discus here.

are your discus wild caught? if not then I would look for something more than the relatively small ph diffence you are concernd about be the problem with your discus fish hididng with clamped fins. ( like ph too high for ideal discus keeping in the first place) and on and on and on.....and sry again I am not a discus expert, just know a thing or two is all.

Back