Hey Krish - tell us about the rock on the back wall of your tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dnjan

alveopora
I looked at
34344vs.jpg

and wanted to hear more about that rock back. Are you going to attach corals directly to it?

Have other people done a solid rock back in their tank? It reminds me of snorkelling next to rock walls.

Last edited:
Well, the rock was born August 15, 1829 at a whopping 90,000 lbs (LOL) Just kidding. It' funny you should ask about the background because I took a picture of a piece I chopped out for the overflow last night, but it didn't come out. I'll try again tonight. The background is what feels like rock on the outside, and then what looks like concrete and fiberglass mat on the back. It's very heavy and took up about 15 gals of water space. It is also made up of 3 pieces that interlock. What I did when putting it in is siliconed it at the top so nothing can get down behind it. The only place where anything can get behind it is the center section, which I have my magnum 350 canister suction behind incase something was to get back there. Also, I lowered the water level a tad bit just to help prevent it. I hope later on to maybe anchor some corals etc on it, but that's later on down the road when I'm ready to get a chiller and increase my sump size to hold enough LR for denitrification. I think it will look really nic in the end with marine life all over it. We'll see how it goes and I'll post some close up shots of the rock itself when I get home.

like i said Krish you have us all drooling :).
do you have any pictures of when you were mouting it, glueing it and stuff.
i would really like to see how you did it with more clear pictures.
you know even though this is just rocks and water, i would nominate you for the tank of the month dood, i can't stop saying how awesome your tank is.

I think it would be interesting to do something like that in a larger tank, where you have room to make slightly deeper holes in the rock. Someplace for gobies to hide in, etc.

Since you live down there in "heaven", do you happen to have any pictures of real rock walls you could post? The last time I was snorkelling in the carribean, the water was too rough to see much close to rock walls (waves breaking over the barrier reef). We had to spend our time far enough inside the barrier so that the water was clear enough to see things.

Alright...Here are the close-ups Don. I hope they come out clear!
(1)Top view showing the right side and the center (with
the only access to the back where the 350 magnum sucks )
(2) A top down view showing the front and back of the rock (This
was a piece I chopped out. Only a chop saw got through it)
(3) Shot from the right side looking to the left
(4) Left to right
(5) Looking slightly down on the center piece
(6) Closeup where all 3 pieces join

Don...You asked if anyone else was doing something similar to me
and a member Mike HArington looks like he is doing something
like it. Here are 2 pics I grabbed from his thread. I asked him
about it on the thread, but I didn't get a reply (LOL)
I'm really anxious to see how his will turn out.

Those are good, but what about pictures of real rock walls. You know - underwater in your extended back yard ...

My last snorkelling trip anyplace close to you was at the barrier reef off SanPedro island in Belize. We had to stay inside the reef as the water was too rough, so I didn't get to see what it looked like on the wall "outside". I would like to see what an outside reef wall looks like in the carribean.

I'll have to take some next time I go out when the weather clears up. I know of a lot of places where I can take some pics.

dnjan said:
Those are good, but what about pictures of real rock walls. You know - underwater in your extended back yard ...

My last snorkelling trip anyplace close to you was at the barrier reef off SanPedro island in Belize. We had to stay inside the reef as the water was too rough, so I didn't get to see what it looked like on the wall "outside". I would like to see what an outside reef wall looks like in the carribean.

Hey Don - I'll be in Cozumel in less than 2 weeks and will be taking pics with our digi cam. Just got the dive case a month ago! Hopefully the storming will be over and the water will be calm enough by the time we get there to get some magnificent shots of the Palancar Reef. I'll make sure to try and get some rock walls for you and everyone else to oggle at!

Jeff

Thanks, krish and jeff. I'll be looking forward to the pictures!

Jeff - be sure you practice working the controls on the case out of water. It took us a while to get used to switching the macro mode on and off on our camera. Without the case, easy. But with the case on, you have to remember which button, etc. Also, you might want to set the camera so it doesn't turn off (no power-saver). It is a real pain to swim from one area to another, get there, and then have to wait for the camera to come back on while the school of tangs swims away ...

Krish,
When you gonna put some livestock in that tank! LOL!!

Can't wait to see it all stocked!

James

Hey James! Got that skimmer yet? I should have had some fish yesterday, but they didn't come and won't until next week. I may go out this weekend and try and get something if the weather clears up. I'll have to see because like I said on another thread, I don't want to catch something and then the fish come next week and I overcrowd the tank too quickly. If I go, and end up finding a french angel or queen angel I'll have to bring it home and figure it out from there. Well see, but definately by next weekend you will see some pics of some fish!

I mounted flat slab rock to the back wall of my 360 last April, and then yanked it and remounted when I went to a 400 in May, and remounted it on the back wall.

I cured the rock in one of my sumps for about 6 weeks before mounting in the tank. During the first installation I used 3M 5200 Marine silicone and had about a 80% hold factor.

360_ins_filling.jpg

360_Rock_1.jpg

360_Rock_7.jpg

360_Rock_11.jpg

Now here is the 400g a couple of weeks ago. When I mounted the rock on the back of the 400g I used the black foam used for building Koi Ponds. It worked great. When I replace my 400g (hopefully before the end of the year) I am really looking forward to working with the foam this next time.

400_Center_sept05.jpg

I have a controllable webcam - so you can look at the rock work yourself - www.o2manyfish.com/camera.htm

Dave B

Dave that looks awesome! And the good thing about yours is it is real! Thanks for sharing for it is a good addition to this thread.

Back