Hitchhiker Identification

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wgchristman

Hi All,

I first spotted this little guy a few weeks ago on an open brain that I bought at the Shark Reef here in Bremerton. I have seen two that I know of, but since they are nearly transparent and move verrrrrrry slowly, they are very hard to spot.

I found this guy hanging out on my newly acquired digitata so I was able to capture him safely. I have had no luck so far in finding out what it is and if it is safe around my corals.

Thanks for the help :)

Last edited:
Yes, that's the one.

The only other description that I can give is that It's approximately 3/16 of an inch, has eight legs and moves like a walking stick.

Unfortunately, it looks to be a sea spider. Maybe I got lucky and have the type that preys on Aiptasia because I have lots of that.:)

It's currently in a jar with some Aiptasia that I am saving for the Berghia nudibranches that I am ordering. So I'll see how that goes.

Hopefully, I just have the two in my tank because they are very hard to find.

Thanks for the all the help. Except for you T.J.:p

Yeah have to agree. Looks more like the spider than anything else. The brittle stars have 5 legs.

I could see the spider having one less leg as more more likely, than the star having a couple extra.

Sea Spider update

Last night while I was trying to catch my peppermint shrimp, I came across another sea spider who just happened to be eating.

Several attempts at sucking it up with my turkey baster were unsuccessful. It flattened itself right up against the rock it was on and slowly crawled to safety.

I did manage to suck up what he was eating, which was a small aiptasia about half its size.:D

So for now, the sea spiders are alright in my book. I will continue to monitor my corals though just to be on the safe side.

Yes, and market it with something cute: Charlotte has nothing on this uber rare aiptasia eating sea spider. Watch your aiptasia disappear slowly with this pycnogonid! Kids love to observe their feeding behavior!

Luckily, I didn't get any of your STD's (shared tanks disasters). I searched all over my tanks last night and didn't see any spiders... or flatworms, but I did see some aptasia.lol

Either I got very lucky and never got one in my tank or my red coris wrasse ate them all. I'd let you borrow the wrasse, but I would never be able to catch it.

Back