HOB Skimmer w/ Refugium....Intake Pump Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jaysauce

I just ordered a 14" HOB Skimmer w/ Refugium from aquatraders (http://shop.aquatraders.com/Hang-On-Refugium-with-Protein-Skimmer-14in-p/43016.htm) and was wondering if I can just hook a maxijet 1200 up to it or do I need to buy a specific type of pump/powerhead for it. On the website it says to get a Odyssea EX250 Powerhead with Sponge Kit so I just need some clarification on if I can use a maxijet 1200 i already have.

I know there have been some complaints about them but there have also been people who have said good things about them so I thought I would try it out since it is significantly less than the CPR and they make a size that fits the short side of my tank.

you can but you might want to throttle it down a tad....a fuge needs low flow, a maxijet will blast threw that little thing..also the maxijet would prolly blow the top off the skimmer!!!
it really depends on how you make the venturi for it and how much air it pulls compared to water....

what do i know????lol
i got a maxijet powering a 12"tall cone with a 6" base and it rocks it!!!!! it is to much pump for those little skimmers....

your thread is great but look at the size of the chamber on that backpak compared to his....
it's all about balance my friend..;)
that will be way to turbulent for his small back pack it might work but not as good as it could.....

i'll bet it's almost identical to the cpr's...think about it, where do you think this design came from???
CPR.
aquatraders just knocked it off.

it is a couple inches smaller than the just skimmer version i had this mj-1200 on, i'll give you that, so maybe use a 900 instead.

but as you so elegantly put in in another thread, the trend is for people to use what they have lying around to make trhings work, and he HAS a mj-1200, and it will infact work...
also, I completely agree about skimmer balance, my friend...
lol...i love it when people state the obvious, like i didnt know that.

That's why I said throttle back "restrict the intake" a little and it's good... I'm not knocking the maxijet one bit there good solid pumps that keep on going like the energizer bunny..:)

To the op. What tank are you putting this on?? Most likely that fuge is to small and the skimmer ain't gonna do much either... Maybe a 12gal nano but that's it..

troylee....
I am going to put this on a 56 gallon column. The way I have my tank setup I have the short side to the wall so that is why I need the small version.

on a 56 I think that will not help much at all if any really. do you have a sump or an extra 10 or 20 gal tank that would be more benifical to your system (for knowing it is a 56gl)

I saw some HOB overflows in the store today and was thinking of getting one of those to a 20 gallon sump/refugium. Not at the stage that I want to have my tank drilled yet.

Are those HOB overflows pretty trustworthy as far as not going to flood my home?

i believe the only way to have thome over flow is clog the outlet on the system. then water will be pumped in and have to were to go but up and over. I never owned one but by looking at them thats the only way I can see it over flowing.

i believe the only way to have thome over flow is clog the outlet on the system. then water will be pumped in and have to were to go but up and over. I never owned one but by looking at them thats the only way I can see it over flowing.

Hmm....I'm gonna stick to the refugium/skimmer HOB until I can save more to get an overflowbox. Do you have any links to a good setup for a 20 gallon sump refugium with protein skimmer?

I know someone selling a cpr brand hang on the back over flow. same as this one link below...

http://www.marinedepot.com/CPR_CS_O...Boxes_for_Aquariums-CPR-CR1511-FIOFEB-vi.html

800 gph model I will ask her what she wants for it. here local also. thats for the over flow.. what size is your stand will it fit a 20 l or a 20 high.

Will 800gph work with my 56 column or is that too much/too little. A 20 gal high will fit in my stand. Here is the link to the setup I got... http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3804456

Can you suggest a pump and skimmer that will fit in that if I do go that route?

I own both the aqua traders and the cpr's there the exact same.. Both a waste of time is you ask me.. Unless using it on a nano.

aww I see why you wanted to go with a hob fuge you can hide on the side of the tank. instead of having another tank showing.

you can IMO I like Vertex skimmers for the cost I know that SWC has a new skimmer line out but either one you are starting to get into some money but that you were tring to save on. because now you will go from 50.00 to a few hundred will it be worth it yes. but spending the money is up to you a tank in the forsale section and a skimmer may be in that area also. I got my IN80 vertex from there for a 100.00 or something like that in the 200.00 dollar range. skimmer rated for your size tank I have it running on a 30 gallon now and it skims like a champ. pump wise i would go with a mag 7 as head pressure will drop you down to around 500-600 gph. when I buy i buy for plans for already upgrading so less cost down the road. you can also ger a remora or a cpr back pak and hang it off the sump. lots of options!
I know others will chime in on there opions just gather info amd make a decisions that fits your budget and goals with the tank.

I saw some HOB overflows in the store today and was thinking of getting one of those to a 20 gallon sump/refugium. Not at the stage that I want to have my tank drilled yet.

Are those HOB overflows pretty trustworthy as far as not going to flood my home?

I've bought a couple of used CPR hang ons- they can leak at the gaskets when they get old and harden up.

Back