Hosting clown fish with anemones

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jesusthe1

I have a 2 oce. clownfish, condy anemone, and several other fish, in a 75 gallon tank. I was wondering if anyone knows of any tips for hosting clownfish with anemones. I know that oce. clownfish don't normally host with one another, but I am just looking for different ways to host tank raised clownfish in general.

Thanks & God Bless!!

You just have to keep yelling at them. Go to bed and point at the anemone. Just keep at it until it host or someone has you locked up for being nuts.

Don

It is said that clownfish rarely host condylactis anemones. However its not unheard of. There are numerous videos of clowns in condy nems. So they may or may not host it. Its pretty much up to them.
Maybe feed around the nem and try to get them to touch it. Once they get stung it may peak their interest and then they will never come out of it. Good luck with it. and post pics! PICS PICS PICS...we all love pics! :)

your Clowns may or may never host any kind of nem, I would not get a nem just to have clowns host it.

Clowns can be weird. You may go to the LFS and buy the best of friends, get them home and the clown could snuggle up to a coral or piece of plumbing never going back to the anemone. Mine wouldnt touch an anemone but loved a Galaxea.

Don

How do I post pics? The last time that I tried, I had to reduce the size so much that I couldn't tell what the pic was of.

I didn't buy a nemo just to host it with a anemone and I know that these two don't normally host with one another like I said in my original post. I was just curious, since I already had them, if there was a way to get them to host with one another. Or is there a tank raised clownfish that will host with an anemone? I've heard that a saddleback will but not sure.

I just posted this to make sure I knew what I remembered. I use Photobucket. I choose IMG codes from the "get links", then when you come here, choose little square "insert image" icon. Paste in the link to the URL address bar THEN you have to unchesk the box for the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" in order for it to work. Try it.

S1180001_zps26aebeb1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Well pinkfloydfan went about it the long way.

I use photobucket also. Just copy the "image" link of the photo you want to post and paste it right into the quick reply box. You dont have to host it here at all.

I've also heard saddlebacks will host condy's.

Since the subject sort of changed. Im not real fond of hosting off site. The forums tend to end up with a whole bunch of lost images after people make changes or close their accounts. Most of us are guilty of doing this. If you host here you can upload, and paste the link so it displays in the thread. As you can see it leaves a little un needed crap at the bottom but the pics will always be available.

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1010567.jpg
    P1010567.jpg
    47.5 KB
how do I upload photos to my albums? It keeps giving me an error message saying the file is too big, but when I lower it to 19.4kb, it's too small to see.

I think the album might give you more space after a period of time. But still not much. You can get more space by being a supporter. Info is located on the home page.

After many months of trying to get my platinum clowns to host in my RBTA, i fed them by it, tried to get them to chase the laser into it, moved power heads to where they slept to keep them moving And they all failed. But after giving up, I took a long weekend and to my surprise i came back to both clowns loving it in the RBTA. I have no clue what sparked their interest or what caused to them to check it out but it did take a LONG time.

My clowns hosted with a torch coral and ignored my RBTA. I finally moved the trch down on the sand and they started to notice the nem. I moved the torch back and they went right into the torch. My RBTA moved one day higher in the tank and all of a sudden one clown went into it. Now they both host the RBTA and the torch back and forth. They are tank raised clowns to, a snowflake and a mis bar. Sometimes you just have to live with what they do. Some people like to sleep on the couch and some are told to.

Cbates...... you and your bleached out clowns! Still waiting on the day that mine host their anemone (plays worlds smallest violin).

Ocellarius will host the condylactus anem eventually... condylactus anem will NEVER host the clownfish long term.. Condylactus is known to open its big mouth and swallow up a clown.. just because clowns are immune to a sting doesn't mean they can't be swallowed, other anemones just know better not to swallow a clown, condy on the other hand hate their presence and will attempt to get rid of them much like a tube anemone would. I have 2 small clarkiis in a 10 gallon with two condy anemones (it was short term), didn't take long for 1 clarkii to just randomly disappear... then the other disappeared a week later... found nothing on the floor and one of the anemone was all puffed up like it was holding something. Tank had the sorriest excuse of a filter running it so I know it ain't the filter that sucked up 3" clowns. Anemone crabs and anemone shrimp won't go near it's mouth like a clownfish would to take care of their host and condys don't seem to mind them too much but they hate the movement of clownfish. Clownfish will host anemones eventually but it will take a really really long time... sometimes never, it all depends on whether the clownfish find it. In a large setup clownfish my stay near one rock and make home, and sleep there.. never coming in contact with the anem.. so sometimes its best to catch the clowns, put them in a container with the anem, see if they go in it since they are isolated together and got no where else to sleep, and then slowly add them back without disturbing them too much. If you bought a condy for the small expense then you are far off with this hobby... Going cheap will just cost you more expenses in deaths and wasted time.. You going to buy a cheap condy... then you might need to replace a clown... buy another anem... and be stuck with another condy..

Last edited:
Back