Hosting....or Clown Confussion!?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cookie

cat
I have a smal male True perc. and a larger ocellaris. They dont kill each other and have been together for over 4 months. They pal around and sleep in the same part of the tank. Paired? Anyway, I have a rose anemone that for the longest time, the anemone did not host to the clown. Recently I moved the anemone over to their sleeping corner and the little guy sleeps IN the anemone at night. The female stays about 2.5 inches away from the anemone. If she does come close, the little guy moves out of her way but she will not touch the anemone. She is tank raised and he is not. Will he teach her what to do? Are they just going to remain confused? She is 3 years old, tank raised and to my knowledges never built a hosting relationship with anything. Any thoughts or suggestions!?

The pictured method worked for me (using a pic of a similar looking clown hosting a similar looking anemone) and my black perc was tank raised. To my knowledge only a mated pair will share an anemone.

I need to try the pic method. The pic you see under my name is my XXXXL seaba and i have a paired clowns that wont host in it. They sleep in that one corner of the tank since i have gotten them 4 months ago

Mmmm....tried the picture method for over a month, no luck!

Where did you place the pic? Is it near the anemone? Another thing you can try is if the clowns are able to eat off of your hands, you can hold the food near the anemone be sure not to touch the anemone or else it will close up.

I need to try the pic method. The pic you see under my name is my XXXXL seaba and i have a paired clowns that wont host in it. They sleep in that one corner of the tank since i have gotten them 4 months ago

Now some clowns aren't compatible with some anemones. What type of clowns do you have? Since my two aren't mated, one sleeps in the anemone while the other sleeps in the corner.

I do get that not all clowns go with all anemones. And truthfully, I do not have the proper anemone for my clowns. I have the little one who I had first and he has started to host (I know the anemone host the clown) in the rose bubble but the feamle, who is considerbally larger will not allow herself to touch the anemone. I have never even seen her fin touch the anemone. I am hoping the little one will teach her however, when she approaches the anemone, the little guy goes away or underneath it. I think he is trying to stay out of her way but she is not getting the message that she is able to go in the anemone. I know she is tank raised and I bought her from a local store and I was told she is about three years old.

Now....my little guy spends most of the day in or near the anemone and the big clown stays on the other side of the tank quite a lot. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:(

Where did you place the pic? Is it near the anemone? Another thing you can try is if the clowns are able to eat off of your hands, you can hold the food near the anemone be sure not to touch the anemone or else it will close up.

Now some clowns aren't compatible with some anemones. What type of clowns do you have? Since my two aren't mated, one sleeps in the anemone while the other sleeps in the corner.

Both of mine are paired but they havent mated yet. They are false per clowns

Not sure if you have tried this, but worked for me in the past. I would feed a little food over the anemone and the clowns would go over to where the anemone was to eat ( a bonus for the anemone also). They got used to it and ended up hosting in it. I think the male went in first, but the female ( evil little one) stayed a little on the out side of it until the lights went out. Then they would move close together.

i did the picture method in my 24 gal...i have a black and false perc...the false perc hosted my rose anemone and the black hosted the wall....then i move them in my 55gal,the false perc forgot and didnt host my anemone so i put the picture again(pic of clownfish hosting anemone) and after 2 weeks hes back hosting it again but my black clownfish i guess will never host an anemone....picture method works..just be patient and next thing you know your clownfish will host your anemone:)

I just held a compact mirror in the tank next to the anemone and my clown took to it with little effort on my part. They can't resist seeing themselves in the mirror and once they feel the anemone, they usually stay in it.

I agree that only a mated pair will host in an anemone together.

I just held a compact mirror in the tank next to the anemone and my clown took to it with little effort on my part. They can't resist seeing themselves in the mirror and once they feel the anemone, they usually stay in it.

I agree that only a mated pair will host in an anemone together.

They sure do like to look at themselves! I will keep trying this!

Back