How big of a tank can I get?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

RichV

So my wife wants a new tank and I figure I have to go bigger. What I need to figure out is how much weight a 2nd floor will support. Are there any guidelines to this and/or better location to place it?

You want to find load bearing walls and distribute the load across the supporting joist connected to that wall. This will carry the load all the way down to the foundation. Now that was the easy part, the hard part is just how much more weight can they carry when they are designed to carry the weight it has now. You truly would need a structural engineer to do the load calcs. and determine what you could safely support or what you would need to do to increase the load capability. Now all this said, larger tank by what means is larger, 125 to a 150, 250 etc? lol
So to answer your question in the short, there are numerous things to consider so in general isn't a good answer to your question. Sorry, that isn't what you wanted to hear I know but food for thought.

I dont know your weight restrictions because it all depends on how strong the supports are in the first place. But Outside walls tend to be strongest. Also if you know where the support beams are you can place it above that and it will work out nicely.

I am not sure how big of a tank you would like to get but the above two pieces of advice will probably cover anything up to 150gal.

I have a 90 now. I was thinking 125-200 gal. You're right, I was looking for an answer without structural engineer in it.

I had a 210 on a load bearing wall upstairs in a house built in 2005. Never had a problem but the floor shook a ton when the dog would run around the room.

If it is going to be over 200 gal and not directly over a load bearing wall. I would do what scooter suggested

Back