how come no one told me this hobby cost so much!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

peddy10181

just got back from my 3rd trip to the hardware store over the last 3 weeks. and here i was thinking plumping would be the cheap part of the setup. wow was i wrong. union valves add up fast lol. think i have 4 1&1/2inch and 3 1inch..

if some one wants to tell me how to make my pics smaller ill upload a bunch of pics of the setup. but it says there to big.

Did you forget to ask?
Shoot this stuff is worse then a crack addiction. Probably cost more too. Its starts to take over your life, house, money, and time. Then you become obsessed about getting a cretin piece of equipment, coral or fish and never stop until you reach perfection. Oops, perfections is not possible, so just keep trying.

lol! crack me up. In my case, I'll wait for someone moves to another states and starts to part out the parts and I'll buy them. Works for me.

Most of the time patience and planning in this hobby saves a lot of money. Plan ahead and buy online (like your unions and bulkheads- way cheaper) or on equipment look for "previousely loved" equipment to save some coin. Now if I could only practice what I'm preachin.

i use photobucket. and copy the direct link and past it in the insert image button.
but yeas initial start up is what cost the most. but once you get to know everyone trading is fun!!!

(not that I recommend this as you will cry once you see the result)...

create a spreadsheet that contains everything you spend on this hobby, you will be amazed how fast it adds up.

I don’t think that’s exactly accurate. Add up all the expense and then look at what you have to show for it. You will say what happened with a blank stare.

Well after 5 hrs or so of work on the tank tonight I seem to have nothing to show for it lol. Bulkheads where put in with the seal on the out side so it started leaking. It's hard to get my arm 30 inchs down inside the overflow to get it off. I'll be back at it tomorrow.

just got back from my 3rd trip to the hardware store over the last 3 weeks. and here i was thinking plumping would be the cheap part of the setup. wow was i wrong. union valves add up fast lol. think i have 4 1&1/2inch and 3 1inch..

if some one wants to tell me how to make my pics smaller ill upload a bunch of pics of the setup. but it says there to big.

this is just the begining,, and welcome to the wonderfull world of SWA

Well after 5 hrs or so of work on the tank tonight I seem to have nothing to show for it lol. Bulkheads where put in with the seal on the out side so it started leaking. It's hard to get my arm 30 inchs down inside the overflow to get it off. I'll be back at it tomorrow.

Depending on the type of bulk heads you used it may be the water is leaking past it going threw the threads if you’re making a bulkhead with plumbing connections from the hardware store. If this is the case, put silicon on the threads like thread sealer and you should be good. If you’re actually using a pre maid bulkhead then the easiest way to put them together is to coat the inner and outer flange with silicone and it will never leak and also when your putting it together it acts as a lubricant and you will be able to tighten it easer. By the way I think the seal is suppose to go on the inside.

Last edited:
I use Drop Box for the pictures. I’m so computer stupid I can’t even make photo bucket work. drop box is super easy to use for me.

Addition is an understatement, add obsession. Was asked if there is a support group I could join like SFAA, saltwater fish aquarium anonymous lol.

this is just the begining,,

can't be more true...you have not even begun lighting, skimmers, salt, etc...

for pics, I use flickr (www.flickr.com), just upload your pics and then copy/paste the URL to the flickr site like the one under my signature.

again, welcome to Saltwater from someone that needs therapy for my obession. :) :) :)

Last edited:
Back