how come no one told me this hobby cost so much!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Addition is an understatement, add obsession. Was asked if there is a support group I could join like SFAA, saltwater fish aquarium anonymous lol.

lets keep the SFAA on the low down. If my wife hears of them,,, well can you say Intervention.

LOL.

SFAA and the cost of this addiction/obession on the low down...my wife sorta has an idea but not exact amounts..she constantly tells me what an expensive hobby I have...blah, blah..

hahahahaha

:D

LOL Im one to admit to this addiction, and expensive.....though I knew it was a pricey hobbie before I came in :)......Im doing my current build slow, I stumbled onto a great deal for a big system , and am not in a hurry...right now Im still elbow deep in my 44G getting were I want it lol
I am using the 44 as my teaching tank....once I acquire all the tools, and know how to sustain a successful reef, Ill build the big one :D

fortunately my wife is onboard too :) I am more into the how to's and she likes to "view" the work.

I actually think My Mrs, would like to be more interactive in the maintainence, planning etc....She is in her MBA program and pretty busy :O
Me I like projects and challenges lol

Price well we dont always agree :O I 1st thought when I saw $450 for a pair of fish someone recently bought was NUTZ....then I saw the fish if I could and had the tank to keep them I would LOL

I actually think My Mrs, would like to be more interactive in the maintainence, planning etc....She is in her MBA program and pretty busy :O
Me I like projects and challenges lol

Price well we dont always agree :O I 1st thought when I saw $450 for a pair of fish someone recently bought was NUTZ....then I saw the fish if I could and had the tank to keep them I would LOL

I wish
Mine just wants to look at it.

hahaahahah...

I try and get colorful fish, otherwise I get the wife stare which is followed by "how much was that fish" speech...

:)

Did you forget to ask?
Shoot this stuff is worse then a crack addiction. Probably cost more too.

I'm not sure about crack but yes drugs are WAAAAY cheaper then this hobby...

I don’t think that’s exactly accurate. Add up all the expense and then look at what you have to show for it. You will say what happened with a blank stare.

Does anyone else have a collection of empty 50 dollar frags plugs?
I have a couple empty 100 dollar ones too *sigh*

I'm not sure about crack but yes drugs are WAAAAY cheaper then this hobby...

Does anyone else have a collection of empty 50 dollar frags plugs?
I have a couple empty 100 dollar ones too *sigh*

Well I’m too cheep for the 100 dollar ones but I have a collections of 20 and 30 dollar bones I was just recycling this last weekend as frag plugs.

hahaahahah...

I try and get colorful fish, otherwise I get the wife stare which is followed by "how much was that fish" speech...

:)

It’s not too much the colorful thing with her. She seems to think we need way more fish in the tank. $$$$$

I don’t know, maybe she thinks it needs to look like the feeder goldfish tanks at the pet store.

All you folk out there with the not so "in to the reef tank" better halves count your blessings. My girlfriend is into the reef tank just as much as I am and well it just makes it twice as expensive. there no checks and balances just checks.... lots and lots of checks to random fishstores and online retailers.

hey, nothing wrong with that...I would like to have a better half that likes to visit LFS as I do.

All you folk out there with the not so "in to the reef tank" better halves count your blessings. My girlfriend is into the reef tank just as much as I am and well it just makes it twice as expensive. there no checks and balances just checks.... lots and lots of checks to random fishstores and online retailers.

Especially when he likes coral A and I like coral B and the comoromise is that we get both. No wonder our little tank filled up so fast!

My name is Paul and I am an addict. It wasnt so bad this week only $200.00 I like your idea of a a spreadsheet Kirk. I may not have time to keep it since I have to go to the LFS. LOL. One thing I have started doing since I know I cant stop and in about six months I will have my 100 gal converted from a softies to LPS SPS tank, I will start looking at a 300. I now buy everything oversized for the 100. So that I can just move it over to the new tank I started dreaming of recently. Just give in and write the checks. It is a great hobby and you meet some nice people when you get into it more.

When Jason @ CFI was building my tank several years ago, I created an Microsoft InfoPath form for my tank, stand, and sump, and Iwaki pumps..I started to cringed when the I reached 5 digits.

:(

But it is the best damn built tank and stand I've ever owned..so my "cringed fit" was short lived. :) :)

Ignorance is bliss LOL, for me to toss out a 30 here or a 100 or 2 there once its gone I dont miss it, I dont think I want to tally up totals LOL

Dave,

exact reason why I dont keep a spreadsheet or keep track of what I spend..

it is like some one owning a luxury car and worrying about how much it cost to fill up their gas tank..

So I am new to this forum and this thread caught my eye-

Sounds like you might be new enough to be saved-

Do yourself a favor and sell everything now and delete all forum accounts you have.

If you cant do that, I would strongly suggest having a bank account that you and only you have access too.

Myself, the wife wont understand-not only does she not understand why I buy "pink boobies" but then to spend 200.00 in "it", not even plural-just singular and 1" at that.

good luck!!

So I am new to this forum and this thread caught my eye-

Sounds like you might be new enough to be saved-

Do yourself a favor and sell everything now and delete all forum accounts you have.

If you cant do that, I would strongly suggest having a bank account that you and only you have access too.

Myself, the wife wont understand-not only does she not understand why I buy "pink boobies" but then to spend 200.00 in "it", not even plural-just singular and 1" at that.

good luck!!

Now that is funny......too late for me, I am in too deep now LOL

This thread really cracks me up:lol::lol:
It would too scary to keep a spreadsheet of how much I spent. I can't even remember a month that I didn't buy something. Sometimes I have to work on a reward system:lol:.....get something(projects) done, then I can buy. Doesn't always work, I buy anyways.

Back