how dead is dead?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I really would really rather not have to get actinic bulbs ( more wiring etc and I really have no where to place it on the tank, not slim enough for the little space I have)

So I think I will go with a 14k ( i also don't want to much growth, I want everything to be happy but to much growth will result in things outgrowing my tank quickly) that should make everyone happy right?

So what brand of bulb is good on the eyes and for the corals? Someone suggested the Pheonix bulb, is that one any good? anyother recommendations?

thanks
Yvonne

I'm delighted with the 12k reeflux. Dimmer to our eyes but more potent for the corals, and bluer.

The objective with sps corals is a bulb that they do good under and one that is pleasing to our eyes. The better being the one that helps in keeping the corals. Any bluer kelvin rating bulb is going to make it so that you don't need to run actinics although some still do. So anything in a 12k-reeflux, is a good one, 14k phoenix or any of the 20k's. There are a bunch of brands of these. There is a 15k XM but I haven't heard very good responses from those that used that bulb. You do want growth or no sps coral would be happy or healthy.

lol, sorry I said that incorrectly, I do want growth and I want to corals to be healthy, but my focus isn't growth. Since my tank is small I don't want to have the corals constantly outgrowning and competing with one another, that being said I will look into the 12k reeflux, or the 14k pheonix

thanks

Last edited:
Back