How Do You Eliminate Aiptasia?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What's your favorite way to eliminate aiptasia?

• Peppermint Shrimp

Votes: 56 28.9%
  • Butterfly Fish

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Berghia

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Joe's Juice

Votes: 27 13.9%
  • Stop Aiptasia

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Kalk Paste

Votes: 22 11.3%
  • Lemon Juice

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Boiling Water

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • I leave them alone

Votes: 12 6.2%

• Total voters
I have a majoano in my QT that I have "killed" 3 times with Joe's Juice. It is gone for 2 weeks and then pop, there it is again. It just popped up last night. Majanos are the DEVIL! :mad:

I added an auriga butterfly to my tank and she took care of the aiptasia in about two weeks. Then she turned on my polyps (leather corals) so she had to go. But I do miss her and I plan on getting some pepermints to help control any remaining aiptasia that may have been too hard for her to reach.

I've seen an increase in aiptasia in my little 125 litre aquarium,so a butterfly is a bad idea and peppermint shrimp can apparently turn to bothering coral polyps once they eat the pest anemones. I'm thinking about ordering some Joe's juice,they say it doesnt hard other inverts at all. Besides I don't mind the odd aiptasia,long as its under control.

Please help with this ID... I am told it is Aptasia. I am worried about hurting the Zoo's that are so close. What do you all suggest as a remedy?

IMG_5030.JPG

I have used joes juice on a little bugger right smack in the middle of one of my zoos. They did not like it and stayed closed for a few hours but then opened up and where fine I have had to do it twice now same results

I have used joes juice on a little bugger right smack in the middle of one of my zoos. They did not like it and stayed closed for a few hours but then opened up and where fine I have had to do it twice now same results

I think this was all a ploy by the LFS to get me to buy some juice! Just kidding... I should have looked the rock over better but I loved the teal color of the zoo's and didn't get past that.

personally, I would use hot water and white vinegar works just as good as joe juice and it is alot cheaper. depending on how many aptiasa you have to get rid of, you may want to stagger how much vinegar is in the tank at once.

Kirk

Yes, it's an old poll, but I think it deserves a bump as I see a lot of people are still trying to decide on which method they should use to fight aiptasia. :)

Well since it was bumped I will add my 2 cents,

I had a huge problem with aptasia and picked up 3 peppermint shrimp.... poof no more aptasia problem in less then a month time. Of course after 6 months I notice my brand new frogspawn coral that my Wife picked out wasn't looking that good. Every night I would lose a new head and found out my shrimp where tearing it a part over night.

GOODBYE shrimp hello Joes Juice thats all I use now.

I use pickling lime and mix it in a slurry and inject it just like joes juice. Plus you can get a 1lb bag for under 3 bucks. Works wonders and is safe.

I had only a few so I got 4 peppermint shrimp and not once have i seen one go for them. They are nice to have but wish they would start eating them. I have got them under control with shooting lemon juice into their mouths and immediately they are gone. Haven't seen any new ones come back in that area. Worked for me very quickly.

I've use Joe's Juice and have a shrimp in my tank. Problem with the shrimp is he doesn't like to roam, he has a little cave and only comes out when I'm feeding my fish.

I've had luck with Joe's Juice, but there is one polyp that seems to have become resistant to the stuff because I've dosed it a number of times (like 5) and it's still there. Does Joe's Juice ever go "bad"? I don't think the seal on my bottle is very good because I find a thick layer of dried buildup around the outside of the bottle cap. I just break it off, drop it back into the bottle with a little filtered water (to turn the powder back into paste) and then dose the aiptasia.

Back