How long before fish could be added

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlinmero

Marlin
Im setting a new 95 gallon corner. i plan on doing two 30gallon water changes on my current 130gallon this week. and taking the water i take out of my 130 into the 95 then adding about 30 gallons of fresh saltwater. also plan on taking a few cups of sand out and adding to the new tank along with a bunch of chaeto out of my other tank. doing all that how long do you think cycle should be? and when do you think i would be able to add a lionfish to it?

Marlin,
It'll be a bit shorter than a new tank cycle but you are going to have a cycle. My quess is 4 weeks, but you're still going to have to treat it as a new tank.
Darrrell

It depends on what kind of rock you are using. If you are using fully cured rock then you won't have much of a cycle at all. If you use dead rock then the water really won't help with the cycle as most of the bacteria is in the rock.

I used new sand, all live rock from an existing tank and a sponge filter from my 75 and all fresh saltwater when I set up my 90. I had a small cycle after about 1 week to 1 and a half weeks and at about 3 weeks I was getting good reedings on my water test. If your using rock from an existing tank it will really help shorten the cycle. I also added some crabs and snails and feed a little mysis early on.

I would test your water after a week and see where your ammonia and nitrite levels are at as they are most important being so toxic to fish. If ammonia and/or nitrite are still present you will want to wait till they drop off to zero and remain there for a while (I'd say atleast 5-7 days to be safe) before adding in any fish. It is hard to really tell how long before you can add in something because there are so many different variables to consider. You may be using liverock, but you can't really guess as to how much die-off you will experience (even if you do experience any) so I'd test just to be safe.

Just my personal opinion. Good luck! :)

I don't understand why you would want to put old, dirty, stripped salt water in your new tank for.

Biggest purpose of a WC is to export your waste products that are not broken down by bacteria or removed by the skimmer and/or different filter set up.

I would use fresh "new" salt water in your water changes and just let that baby go through it's cycle. :D

I don't understand why you would want to put old, dirty, stripped salt water in your new tank for.

Biggest purpose of a WC is to export your waste products that are not broken down by bacteria or removed by the skimmer and/or different filter set up.

I would use fresh "new" salt water in your water changes and just let that baby go through it's cycle. :D

Very good point!! Old tank water doesn't carry much beneficial bacteria with it to talk about so new water would be the way to go if at all possible. :)

the old water idea has been scratched. i thought it might help the cycle, figured it would have some beneficial bacteria in it and help feed the new bacteria growing.

Back