How many people use a chiller?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rudeanduncouth

Ghetto Engineer
Just curious how many people utilize a chiller in there setup? I am in Idaho, and we don't generally have extremely hot summer but it does get warm sometime (90+). I have a 125g with a 55g sump with 3x400w MH that will be mounted about 10" above the surface. Do you think it is a neccesary or at least recommended? I know there are a lot of people in this general area on this board so I am curious if they use one or not?

Thanks

I can get away without having to use one. I just have two fans in the canopy and one blowing across the sump. My tank really doesn't get much above 81'ish even in the middle of summer without any AC in my condo.

i run a 3/4 drop in chiller on my 120. i also use fans for the lighting but will be doing away with them after the re-build. The top of the tanks going to be open so i dont see the reason for fans up there.

I use a 1/4 HP JBJ chiller on my tank. It definitely keeps the halides from warming up the tank too much.

I use an aquamedic 1/2 hp chiller. 170 gal + 40 gal sump with 250w MH x3 and 4 VHO actinics. I also run 2 funs in the vented canopy that come on with the halides. Without the chiller I would get too warm in the summer as well.

Mat

I don't use one and I live in the Bahamas where it gets real hot. My temperature use to sit about 85-86 (even with running central air 24/7), but since I put a fan in my stand and removed the lids off of my sump and tank, it sits at 78 now.:)

krish75 said:
I don't use one and I live in the Bahamas where it gets real hot. My temperature use to sit about 85-86 (even with running central air 24/7), but since I put a fan in my stand and removed the lids off of my sump and tank, it sits at 78 now.:)

What are your thoughts on why it stays cooler particular in an area where it is consistently warmer? Do you use any other fans in your hood?

I don't use one.
My tank has been pretty stable when it comes to that and the hotests it gets it's 82 .
Only one time i think it was a few months ago, it got to 86, but i did the whole ice cube bags and it went down, that's been my only experience i think.

Back