how much rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Having water flow between rocks is important. Aquascaping correctly will play a huge part in how much LR you need. You don't want to form a wall where water can not flow through. My 75g has got to have more than 150 lbs of rock in it, and there is still plenty of room for flow and fish. Although I only have 4 fish and two are clownfish that never leave there anemone. What I have done with my aquascaping works for me. It may not work for everyone, or every fish. If you think your tank looks bare, and there is still a good amount of flow, then I would add more.

great articals :)
it says that it is better to have flow from multiple places but i only have one pump so would this help with that
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/pro...&utm_term=complete_kit_customflo_water_system
and if i am reading correctly then 3-4 times the tank volume is good then is it bad that i have about 8 times the water volume:eek:

You're probably reading that incorrectly. 3-4x may have been a recommendation of turnover through the sump, and much more than that is still OK. I run about 8x tank volume through the sump. This is obviously dictated by the size of the return pump.

Tank turnover within the tank, however, needs to be MUCH higher. Personally, I wouldn't go with less than 25x turnover in the tank, and even higher if you want anything besides soft corals. My previous tank ran 47x turnover, my current one is about 35x, but I actually get more flow due to flow patterns.

It has long been a common goal to have as much random flow through a tank as possible, but that notion is now being challenged. See this article:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature#h5

I was looking for that article last night, thanks, It is a very worthy read. I turn my sump about 10x in an hour & the CL turns the tank about 40x's I do it with two pumps.

We're looking at a couple different measurements. One is through the sump, the other is within the display tank itself.

You'll want 4-10x turnover through the sump. That means a return pump rated for anywhere between 260-650gph as a return pump. Something along the lines of a Mag7 or QuietOne 3000 would be ideal. THEN, you'll also want at least 25x turnover inside the tank, which comes out to 1625gph total. Maybe a couple of Seio M820 or a couple of Koralia K3 powerheads would work out well for you there.

"& lots of surface area for denitrifying bacteria to grow & live."
I was told by a marine biologist that there is enoughp in you plumbing to sufice!

Meanwhile I already have to much in my tank and am thinning itout.

Deep sand beds are great outside the tank in a seperate area like a refegium !

Kinda wish I did that years ago.

:)

Paul

"& lots of surface area for denitrifying bacteria to grow & live."
I was told by a marine biologist that there is enoughp in you plumbing to sufice!

Meanwhile I already have to much in my tank and am thinning itout.

Deep sand beds are great outside the tank in a seperate area like a refegium !

First of all you got to get the denitirfing bacteria in the tank by some source & have it live long enough to grow anywhere else in the tank, also you have to maintain enough to keep up with your bio-load so if you had no real bio-load then you might keep enough but for most marine tanks that would never be enough, I doubt that person actually knew enough about reef keeping in an aquarium compared to a natural reef.
Second a DSB is designed for the main display, the processing that a remote would do defeats the design of a dsb completely, It may help some but not nearly as efficiently.

We're looking at a couple different measurements. One is through the sump, the other is within the display tank itself.

You'll want 4-10x turnover through the sump. That means a return pump rated for anywhere between 260-650gph as a return pump. Something along the lines of a Mag7 or QuietOne 3000 would be ideal. THEN, you'll also want at least 25x turnover inside the tank, which comes out to 1625gph total. Maybe a couple of Seio M820 or a couple of Koralia K3 powerheads would work out well for you there.

so i have to have the 550gph pump from the sump and then i also have to have 1625gph in the tank?
wow:eek:

Hey Scooty, please amplify the info on DSB's, I'm setting one up in my fuge, I thought denitrification would take place equally well in the main display or the fuge, that is what I primarily want out of my DSB, but I'm new to them, what am I missing, thanks, Joe

I don't normally clip other forums but to start this is a very good read!

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16741

I'll dig up more for the advanced studies.

http://www.ronshimek.com/Deep%20Sand%20Beds.htm

http://www.reefs.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=28&t=000024

The reason why I say remote beds don't work as efficiently, has several reasons, reading & understanding how a DSB works as in the links will help understand what I'm about to say.
Having the varied sand particles needed, the right critters, that vary in size etc & supplying them with food, isn't as easy as throwing in sand & hoping for the best. Even once set-up It still requires husbandry to make it work & last, although you can set it up by design to work remotely. For example, in a BB main display, with high random flow & a large collection trough, you can keep all the detritus suspended long enough to get it to the DSB for processing, also you need to have a slower flow over it to allow settlement so it can be processed.
I found several; dead links but when I get back I can dig up more information to help understand why I say that. I think people are not understanding how these things work & what is required to make it work. I posted two links I know is a deep read & very worthy IMO! I think we also have a few discussions a good while back, my point is design your system well If you want to make use of a DSB.

also what pumps do you guys like to use?
i dont want huge pumps that take up all my tank space but i dont want to have alot of little pump in the either

Back