How to get rid of coralline

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

coon

Lo. the corraline is taking over on my aquarium walls.
I cannot seem to scrape it off the walls.
It is a glass aquarium, but i do not want to use a razor or something that could scratch it.

What is the best way to get rid of coralline off the front of the tank only without having to drain out the water.

i desperatly want to see my fishes again :p

Welcome to RF!!! :D I agree with Mike...A razor will be your best bet and also, wouldn't/shouldn't scratch the tank... Never happened to me before. Just use a sharp/new blade and you'll be good to go. Good luck!:)

Last edited:
well the blade worked just fine. now its clean as a whistle :) thanks.
many more questions to follow :p

dont ever ever ever ever use a razor blade on acrylic
they sell plastic razorblades for acrylic

dont ever ever ever ever use a razor blade on acrylic
they sell plastic razorblades for acrylic

If you are referring to "coon's" tank, it is glass;)

BTW...Welcome to RF! Hope you enjoy yopur time here:)

Yeah I saw that it was glass but RETURNOFSID said he has seen single edge razor blades used on acrylic and that is a big big no no

Yeah I saw that it was glass but RETURNOFSID said he has seen single edge razor blades used on acrylic and that is a big big no no

Well...Kinda. If you can use a razor blade properly, it can be used on acrylic without scratching it. I know someone who takes care of tanks for a sponsor here and they clean all their acrylic tanks with razor blades without ever scratching them. By all means though, not for everyone. The plastic ones made for acrylic tanks should always be a first resort IMO:)

Last edited:
I would never use a razor on a acrylic tank.

LOL! Me either...I scratched my 38 gal with the plastic scraper made for the thing, but I know people that use razors with success...Maybe we need a clinic on it:p

Coralline is the reason I am downsizing tanks. My current tank has 57 sq ft of viewing area to keep clean. I just can not keep up with the coralline so I am getting a smaller tank.

vinegar only works for cleaning up old/unused tanks. you would never want to doses vinegar to reduce coralline algae within a live system. Coralline is a good sign of a healthy tank in most cases.

Back