how to move your tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

darklight2ooo

I will be moving my tank come sept 7th. I'm wondering if you guys have any hints for me so i don't kill my livestock.

I have a 12 gallon nano tank, The tank will be moving from my house in snoqualmie to my house in bellingham. its about a 2 hour drive, I'm worried about heat should i be?

Use an ice chest with tank water for your fish. Maybe one for your rock. Keep some water in the tank for your sandbed. Will you have access to the place before the move, if so setup your ro/di before you get there and make some water. Have some premade slat water there also,

So i take everything in my tank out and put them into preheated ice chest for the move? then when i get there i put everything back into my tank?

..... well thats a scary concept, fish tank in a ice cooler :| ill try to line everything up before the move.

I recently did a similar move with a 12g nano even :). I moved my live rock inside a couple of IO salt buckets. That way I didn't have to worry about the rock cutting open a bag. The scew on lid kept the water from splashing out.

A small pre-warmed ice chest with the fish in bags is a good idea. I put my fish in the buckets with the rock.

I just moved an 85g across bellingham. Nowhere near the distance, obviously, but quite the pain. I first pulled half the water and put it in trash bags in tubs. After that, I took out all the rock and put it in salt bins with a little water. I then bagged up all the fish in bags I grabbed from the LFS. Finally, I took out the last of the water. I left the sand in, though many suggested to not do that (it didn't cause any problems, however). Once I got it in, I just did that same process, but in reverse. Fish were a little stressed, but everyone survived, save a yellowtail damsel that dissapeared as I was emptying the tank (no clue what happened there).

Only thing I'd like to add to what already has been suggested is to take advantage of the move and do a nice water change on the tank. This will be an opportune time to give the tank a good cleaning. :)

Good luck with the move :)

BTW, Not sure if I understand this...:confused: If "darklight2ooo" is concerned about heat, why heat the cooler to make it hot and make the heat last longer? Just curious because I would think he would be trying to keep things from getting hot:)

Previously posted by darklight2ooo
I'm worried about heat should i be?

Previously posted by Reeferdude
Heat up the ice chests with hot water so they maintain heat and take longer to cool down...

Last edited:
Make sure you pay attention to local weather report. If it is 90 to 100 degrees or hotter in your area I don't think heating an ice chest up will be a good idea. If anything be prepared with ice pack's in a separate container if the weather is hot in your area.

Only thing I'd like to add to what already has been suggested is to take advantage of the move and do a nice water change on the tank. This will be an opportune time to give the tank a good cleaning. :)

Good luck with the move :)

BTW, Not sure if I understand this...:confused: If "darklight2ooo" is concerned about heat, why heat the cooler to make it hot and make the heat last longer? Just curious because I would think he would be trying to keep things from getting hot:)

He didn't say he was worried about too much. Just "heat". The concern could have been for the "loss" of heat.

He didn't say he was worried about too much. Just "heat". The concern could have been for the "loss" of heat.

This is why I asked because he didn't mention what the issue was where "heat" was concerned, but you offered the advice of heating the chest without knowing his situation (unless you knew something that wasn't mentioned here). With that being said, if too much heat was what he was actually worried about, then heating the chest would not be a great idea. :)

Last edited:
Good luck! I have a 110 gal tank. Im moving from Chicago to Austin Texas next year!!! Have no idea how thats gonna happen :)

The only thing that'll get 90-100 in Snoqualmie is the chance of rain..

Love it yeah this year was weird it actually got up too 100 but thats rare and only one day. chances are it will be around 50-60 with rain :p that is why im worried about heat. ...

i just got an interesting idea, if i was to hall the entire tank in the front seat of my car with an adapter for the heater i could theoretically just move it that way instead of all these buckets and bags...

but to keep things simple.. rocks in a pre heated cooler, and fish in another. this inst until the 7th so i will have to line these things up but at lest i'm not travailing 1800 miles... geez

Back