How to Remove Hard Water Stains on Glass

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

YamahaF934

I got a new (old) tank but it has some hard water stains (or stains from salt) on the lid, etc. What is the best way to clean this off. I know vinegar but it doesn't seem to cut it.

Careful with old tanks. Silicone is often shot, and the tanks will leak. I discovered this with my used 50 gallon sump. Got it all built and installed, then it started dumping water on the floor. Ended up having to take it out, knock out all the baffles and plexiglas, then got some guy to redo the silicone for like $15. Now it is great, but was a HUGE headache. May want to redo the silicone before you put water in it....

Ended up with a lot of water on my floor, and had to buy a big rubbermaid tub to act as a temporary sump. I will never use a used tank again without getting it rebuilt.

Thanks. It's not that old and has pretty think silicone but I was going to at least put another layer in the inside just to be safe? Should I completely remove the old silicone first?

Unfortunately it's not as simple as just laying a new layer over the old one. You will need to remove all the old silicone first including any residue left behind. The new silicone will not stick to the old silicone at all.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yes if you want to re-silicone remove the old first. You can also attack the heavy water deposits with a razor blade while you're scraping away silicone.

I've got some hard water stains on an old FW tank that is currently empty and razor blade doesn't seem to do much nor does vinegar. It's very cloudy looking on the glass. Any other suggestions on how to remove hard water?

My first thought was vinegar, but I see it didn't work. What about boiling water?? Just a thought. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does this hurt the silicone at all? The problem area I am trying to treat is the top brace. Kinda hard to submerge in water.

I've never had an issue. If it's just around the top I'd mix up 1:5 in a separate container. Use a tooth brush dipped in that solution and clean around the top. Make sure you use good gloves and eye protection and rinse the area well when done. Maybe mix up some bicarb and use that to rinse it. I'd also put some water in the tank to dilute the solution as it builds in the bottom.

I'm going to try it today but I found some stuff called Safer Acid? (I think..I'll have to check when I get home) It's muriatic acid but it supposedly won't burn the skin and it has 90% less fumes than regular muriatic acid. I found it at my local hardware store that was taken over by Ace Hardware.

are u sure its hard water stains or fine scratches. u can all ways polish the glass either way it will remove it. just look up glass scratch removal. fairly easy and cheap.

Back