Huge ammonia spike! Please Help!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kmeans

Hi everyone!

So I am not new to reef keeping but I am new to cycling a tank. My first tank I got as a well-established tank and I kept all the water and rock. Unfortunately it crashed after I put lights in that I thought were a great deal. The only survivors were my watchman goby and his buddy the pistol shrimp. They survived 1.5 years in a slam marine land 5 gal tank. I was finally able to buy a new tank and I chose the coralife biocube 29. I thought the cycle was over. Ammonia was down, nitrates were on the rise and the detritus was starting to go away, so I got my CUC. Since then I have not been able to keep the ammonia down. It has crazy spikes up to 8. I have been doing 5 gal water changes every other day and nothing has worked but the water is crystal clear. I am really stressing out. I would love to be able to attend the bob more frag swap but I can't put corals in my tank with this level of ammonia. Here are my parameters:

PH 8.4
Phosphate 0
Calcium 460
Carbonate Hardness 12
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 1
Ammonia 8 :eek:

I have a 3 inch sand bed and about 40 lbs of rock (15 came from an established tank)
I have stock lighting but I just ordered an LED set from Steve's LEDs (soooo excited these will be better then my previous tank!)
I have the InTank media basket with filter floss, Seachem Purigen, and Chemi-Pure Elite . I have the fuge on order

Is it possible that the testers I have are bad? I have had them for about three years.

I would appreciate all the advice I can get, I have done everything within my knowledge.

Thanks!!!

I took my water to Reef Keepers. He did not have an ammonia test but based on the questions he asked me he is very sure that I have no ammonia. I will still be purchasing a new test kit though!

The best thing to do is to record your parameters and try and do a 8g water change every week then progress to every other week, other than every other day because what u are doing is putting your system in a continuouse mini cycle. Please follow these steps to hopefully insure that your livestock stay alive!!
First test parameters/ record date/water perameters
If ammonia is still high let your system go through this cycle faze (only fresh buffered water "Ro/Di top off") the "Nitrifieing" bacteria will turn the Amonia into Nitrite.
Test again if ammonia isn't present leave your system alone (no water changes just Ro/Di top off) test for nitrite If there is 0ppm reading for nitrite test for nitrates if you have a 5.0ppm of nitrate Then it is ok to do a 20-25% water change this should get your system to become equalibrium!!!
this process may take a week or two but it will work please let me kno how it's goin and I will be there all the way if needed any help!!! GOOD LUCK!!!
Ohhh ya feed your fish only twice a week through this Mini cycle!!! Because honestly if that were me I would take the livestock out and let the tank do its thing till it is at equalibrium!!!

Please don't rely on any LFS (local fish store) only if you trust them and they own and successfully kept a reef system!! Just Saying because when I first started 3-4 years (my own reef) ago my LFS were not honest with me and I lost a good amount of my livestock!!! Hope that it doesn't happen to u!!! Good Luck again!!!

The best thing to do is to record your parameters and try and do a 8g water change every week then progress to every other week, other than every other day because what u are doing is putting your system in a continuouse mini cycle. Please follow these steps to hopefully insure that your livestock stay alive!!
First test parameters/ record date/water perameters
If ammonia is still high let your system go through this cycle faze (only fresh buffered water "Ro/Di top off") the "Nitrifieing" bacteria will turn the Amonia into Nitrite.
Test again if ammonia isn't present leave your system alone (no water changes just Ro/Di top off) test for nitrite If there is 0ppm reading for nitrite test for nitrates if you have a 5.0ppm of nitrate Then it is ok to do a 20-25% water change this should get your system to become equalibrium!!!
this process may take a week or two but it will work please let me kno how it's goin and I will be there all the way if needed any help!!! GOOD LUCK!!!
Ohhh ya feed your fish only twice a week through this Mini cycle!!! Because honestly if that were me I would take the livestock out and let the tank do its thing till it is at equalibrium!!!

Thanks for the advice. I ordered a new testing kit and everything looks good. I am still doing tests though once a week. If things start to go south I will do a small water change.

Thanks for the advice. I ordered a new testing kit and everything looks good. I am still doing tests though once a week. If things start to go south I will do a small water change.
Of course just keep us updated on the perameters an good luck again!!

Why would an lfs not have an ammonia test?! They have to test their own water! Yikes. That is a scary thought. Good luck!!

Back