Hydor Koralia powerheads

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have one and 2 large SEIOs. They are both good pumps for the money. The Hydor doesn't move as much water as the 2600, but it is cheaper and comes with it's own adjustable magnet mount. The Hydor's flow is split into two separate streams separated by about 45 degrees. I like them both. If you are trying to move the most water, go with SEIO. If adding some flow into a smaller area, the hydor is a good value.

i think they are good, they put out a wide flow of water, and that magnet is great, i have the 2 and 4 in a 75 gal tank along with my main pump and the fish just surf the waves, and so much movement of the corals, but if i did it over again i would get a 3 instead of a 2

I must agree with the others, I have been using a 3 for4 months and will picking up a second. The only draw back is trying to BTA proof them. I tried wrapping different material around them but always took it off. Since most BTA do their rooming at night, I have my Koiilia set to shut off at night. Who knows maybe the different flow between night and day is a good thing. Side note, power has been off for 2 hours, I thank the generator gods :), and yes of course I have it set up so my internet works during a power outage, if not how would I keep up with my RF community?

Side note, power has been off for 2 hours, I thank the generator gods :), and yes of course I have it set up so my internet works during a power outage, if not how would I keep up with my RF community?

Not to derail this, but that's funny..

i have not seen the korilla pumps in action they do look very good i do use seios but change over to two tunzes nanos in my 55gl and they kick ass over the seios imo for the directional uses and the magnet i find the seios cumbersum and hard to places for best flow also i have lost inverts and fish to seios but have seen a nudibranch slide right over the tunze nano with no problems the only problem with the nano is the clips that hold the pump to the magnet break really easy and ive had to glue mine as well as my mates but other then that very pleased

just a note on placement in my mates 32gl lps dominated reef he has his tunze pointing straight up and his seios 620 on the 2inchs off left hand side point in to the left hand corner it works well for his tank and i think u have to consider what corals u have to how much flow u really need

I have a small tank (70 gallon) and have a Seio M620 on one side and a Koralia 2 on the other side. I like them both, but prefer the Seio. While the Seio puts out good water movement, it doesn't suck in everything around it. It also uses a disk instead of a prop to move the water. Considering my bi-color blenny like to be in the output vent...I am glad to have these safety precautions. The Koralia is a nice powerhead and puts out the right amount of movement for me. Hope this helps.

I have a mix of sps and lps. I am using a seio 820 and 620 with a MJ900 for the hell of it. I was looking to upgrade the 620 to 1100 and toss the mj 900. This in a 75 gallon rr with a rio 2500 return.

I have a seio 820 and a koralia 3 in my 45g. I bought the koralia 3 to replace a 820 that failed on me... In my 90g, I have 2 seio 1100's and a koralia 4 (plus 2 maximods).

I've had the seio's much longer than the koralia's, but from my experience, the seio's seem to need cleaning more frequently. I don't really like the ceramic shafts in the seio's. In fact, I accidentally broke the shaft in one of my 1100's when I was cleaning it (trying to take out the impeller & put a little too much sideways force, the ceramic shaft just snapped in half). IME, calcium seems to build up on the ceramic shafts quicker than the stainless steel shafts.

The koralia 4 is pretty long end to end, whereas the seios are more box-shaped, so it doesn't seem to stick out as much. Also, I found the magnet mount that comes with the koralia is ok for thinner-walled tanks like my 45, but isn't quite strong enough on my 90.

Both pumps seem like good values for the money. But if/when I can find the Tunze Nanostream 6055's, I'm going to give it a try (I'll have to save up my $$ for it though!).

hth,
rob

I just bought 2 Koraliia for my 55g. I bought a 3 and a 4 and they should be here tomorrow. Yippee. My 2 maxijet 1200's just aren't cutting it with keeping sediments suspended for the mechanical removal. I have alot of debris on my rocks, that IMO shouldn't be there.
I will let you know how they work.

It took me a week to decide on Koralias or Sieo's. I hope I made the right choice.

Also, I found the magnet mount that comes with the koralia is ok for thinner-walled tanks like my 45, but isn't quite strong enough on my 90.

i just noticed the same thing when i started fitting my 120. the pump itself seemed to be pretty good in the freshwater testing that i did with it, and the power consumption is not bad. i just wish they had a stronger magnet. definately not a bad choice for the price.

My Koralias are in my tank and good god they are kicking up crap from all the crevices that my other powerheads did not reach. VERY good flow, almost too much. Since these are multi-directional, as in you can point them in the directions you want, I haven't found that "happy" position yet.
I got the 3 and the 4 and seeing how much flow there is, I may have been able to get away with using a 2,2 or 2 and a 3. I am having trouble finding the spot where my mushroom toadstools and my discoma mushrooms aren't getting kicked around. I may have to re-assign a spot for them rather than find a good flow spot. That may be my easiest option.

I like them and am happy with the flow and power they put out for my 55g. The fish seem to be loving it, even my clownfish are swimming in the flow, which they never used to do.
Even my mandarin made a happy appearance and is swimming along the back wall, seeming to enjoy himself. I usually never see him unless it is feeding time.

So far, Koralias get an A+.

My Koralias are in my tank and good god they are kicking up crap from all the crevices that my other powerheads did not reach. VERY good flow, almost too much. Since these are multi-directional, as in you can point them in the directions you want, I haven't found that "happy" position yet.
I got the 3 and the 4 and seeing how much flow there is, I may have been able to get away with using a 2,2 or 2 and a 3. I am having trouble finding the spot where my mushroom toadstools and my discoma mushrooms aren't getting kicked around. I may have to re-assign a spot for them rather than find a good flow spot. That may be my easiest option.

I like them and am happy with the flow and power they put out for my 55g. The fish seem to be loving it, even my clownfish are swimming in the flow, which they never used to do.
Even my mandarin made a happy appearance and is swimming along the back wall, seeming to enjoy himself. I usually never see him unless it is feeding time.

So far, Koralias get an A+.
for a 55 gallon tank the 2 would probably have been best, but in my case with a 75 gallon and the 4,2 i wish i would have got the 4,3

All depends. I have a 180 with hundreds of pounds of rock. As long as the SEIO 2600s or Hydor 4s are not pointing directly at he sand, no problem

Are any of you using Deep sand beds? Does the Koralias stir the sand bed to much?
i have deep sand beds but they are in back of my liverock, dosent seem to be stiring much up but if they were in the front. im sure the sand would be everywhere

I just put a 2 in my nano... I'm impressed! I have it skimming the surface, but with the bi-directional flow, I'm getting good movement throughout the tank. I'm thinking about pulling the crappy MJ1200's (crappy because of the mounts, not the pump) out of my 80 and throwing in some koralia 3's.

Back