I am blamming Oceanic Salt for coral loss.......

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

??????????
WA I wasnt laughing at you my friend, I was laughing at the statement made in the text you quoted. All salt mixes have impurities in them (mostly metals) including the one that this vendor is selling. If you did not have a binder present to chelate them then they would be available to become soluable and kill your tank inhabitants. Having the edta takes away that problem. Also they make the statement that it makes the salt dissolve faster, How does a metals binder make salt dissolve faster?? 9 times out of 10 its the finer grind of the salt that makes it dissolve faster. One other one was the fact they called it a cumulative poison?? If it is we are all in big trouble as it has been used for decades in the food we eat everyday, Ex: Mayonaise, canned vegetables, canned beverages, Salad dressing and so on. It has also been approved by the FDA.

mike

WA98296 Glad you are here. Nobody will make fun of you here. Mike may change your avatar or name, but not make fun of you... LOL The people here are great. I didnt know what edta was, but after reading the article where they said nitrites were deadly in saltwater, I kind of put it in the dont pay attention box. It is not your fault, problem or anything. You were just trying to help, and I appreciate you for bring it up. You are totally welcome here. The only problem with writing stuff on the interntet, is its hard to see the expression on someones face so its hard to tell exactly what they mean. I have and still do often read stuff into things that are not meant by the writer. Steve

Welcome clayswim this is sompthing I very recently became aware of about the seattle sounds water Thursday, January 15, 2004

Sound's salmon carry high PCB levels
But state says health benefits of eating the fish outweigh risks

By ROBERT McCLURE AND LISA STIFFLER
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTERS

Puget Sound's wild chinook salmon carry long-lived industrial chemicals at levels as high as those spotlighted by last week's landmark scientific report on farm-raised salmon, tests show. In a few cases, the local fish were even more polluted.

But state health officials, after studying Puget Sound salmon contamination levels for about a year, say they probably won't issue advice on how often the region's signature fish should be eaten.

The reason: They believe the heart-healthy benefits of eating salmon outweigh the risks posed by PCBs, or polychlorinated biphenyls, stored in the fish.

I also have switched from Oceanic. I am saving it to salt the sidewalks in the winter. I think my preferance is reef crystals.

Thanks for your more than warm welcome. I know nothing at all about water chemistry YET, that's why I really should have done more research before tossing into your conversation. Since my tank has yet to meet saltwater, I'm still trying to figure out the somewhat mysterious world of lighting and how watts per gallon can possibly apply to tanks of all dimensions/depths. Anyway, I'm still just considering taking on this hobby, it is actually somewhat overwhelming at this point, there is so much info out there, often conflicting. I am grateful to find a friendlly (it is friendly here, right?) place to hang out and ask questions (admittedly ignorant ones).

Connie

Connie never worry about entering any conversation here. Its the best way to learn. Thier is only so much you can read and digest before you just need to talk about it.

On your lighting just start up another thread and we can see if we can throw some thoughts your way.

Mike

I adjust salinity/gravity to keep the calcium level at 400 and plan on going to I.O. on my next bucket as well but as I have some I will use it adjusted instead of not using it at all .

Plack,
Puget Sound water quality was a concern of mine as well, which is why I haven't switched before now. After doing research and reading numerous studies on the matter (all of which showed poor quality) I figured what the hell and decided to try it anyway. It's always a concern when you're gathering water that's not only from an area with a large population, but also a body of water with a significant amount of runoff from rivers and streams. Some people swear by it though, and after a few weeks of using it I have to admit that the water stays crystal clear and the anemones and coral seem to respond well to it. The big difference is actually in my nano tank, which is only five gallons. Whether or not it has anything to do with the water who knows, but right after switching my algae levels have dropped. Again, this could be due to a number of factors, but I'm going to stick with it a while and see what happens.

Clayton

O.K. well let us know how it turns out for you I hope it does well long term. I am scared now of using that because the pcb's will never ever get out of a tank it will be in the rock and such forever as far as I understand pcb's . I'm chicken now to do that but on the other side you can change water so cheap so often and should otherwise be ok during the dry months :)

Good point about the dry months, nutrient concentrations (and salinity) in the sound can fluctuate widely depending on the level of the rivers. During the spring and summer months nitrogen and phosphates tend to lessen due to the increased growth of plankton in the water. PCBs are an interesting topic because of where they're found. PCBs tend to settle in the detritus on the bottom of the sound, where bottom fish and other organisms pick them up. I haven't found any data as to how high the levels may be near the surface. Maybe someone else might know.

Most likely this summer I'm going to run sound water in my smaller tanks and see how it goes. I'm setting up a 180 gallon, and was considering using a mixture of IO and Puget Sound. I might use only IO this fall though once the rains begin. I'll test the water to see if nitrates or phosphates start to show up.

Clayton

im going to kill all the weeds in the ditch when i dump a new bucket of Oceanic away in it ,. i cant think of any other thing to do with it . lol

Hi,
Are you guys just dipping buckets in the sound to get your water or getting it pre-filtered from the public aquarium? If from the aquarium how do you get that? I am a 5 minute walk from the sound and suddenly considering moving closer :) Would like to have a supply of free water as sometimes I do daily water changes, like when I am quarantining new fish. Probably is good enough for the FOWLR as well.

One thing I have seen is under the docks are stickelbacks with gigantic nasty looking parasites on them, fish lice I think is what the house boat people said. So aging/quarantining the water would presumably be a necessary step. Anything else you do to prepare it?

Far as Oceanic goes I do a lot of testing so caught most of the damage it did before it got completely out of hand. Unfortunately some other people I know who bought it from the same delivery didn't test much and watched their tanks completely crash and quit the hobby. I have been told that some of my favorite authors use IO and are happy, presently am trying Kent and happy with that as well.

Kate

Hi,
Sell it/give it free to freshwater people on craigs list or through the local freshwater club, they might appreciate it for raising brine shrimp or experiments with DIY cichlid salt... I can probably refer a killifish breeder to you if you want. We don't care if the brine shrimp get too much or too little of this and that, they are not picky.
Kate

coralseas said:
im going to kill all the weeds in the ditch when i dump a new bucket of Oceanic away in it ,. i cant think of any other thing to do with it . lol

I get my sound water from Aquarium Paradise in Lakewood. It comes from the Seattle Public Aquarium originally though. They filter the water pretty good, so you lose not only the nasty junk, but also the natural plankton. I'm still running it in my tanks and still not a single algae problem. I setup another 20 gallon nano with it five weeks ago with all new rock. It's now almost completely through the cycle and it hasn't had any algae outbreak at all. So far I'm happy with it. It costs $5 for five gallons, so the cost isn't bad either. From what I hear it's a lot cheaper at the aquarium itself. I think someone said 25 or 50 cents a gallon.

I can't really recommend collecting water right from the sound itself; that is unless it's from a boat a distance from the shore. The waters around here can get rather murky, and you certainly don't want a load of waste in your tank rotting.

Clayton

My tank has been up and running for about 6 months and I have been using oceanic salt and I have been fighting red slime alge for a month now, it is under control but can't get rid of it. I just bought a new jug of oceanic salt and after doing one water change my flame angel died and my yellow tang is acting weirld. All water test are good. I will change my salt mix and see if that makes a difference. Which salt mix should I try??
Thanks, Jayme

I have been using it since day one and not had a problem at all with it. I am using the new SeaChem salt and so far am VERY Un-Impressed, no level is near what they are saying. :(

AmyPinBellevue said:
Stupid questions from a newbie...what does RTN stand for? Or is there a place I should be looking for definitions on the forum?

Rapid Tissue Necrosis

Back