I caught the snail killer!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LarryB

It was one of therr own. I have had a 29 gallon up and running for about a year and 1/2 and everything is going well. The only problem is I could not keep snails. The mexcian turbo was fine but all the smaller ones just kept disapearing. Then one time I saw a large hitchhiker snail looking like it was sucking the meat out of a smaller snail. I was on my way to work and did not have time to stick my hand in the tank and when I came back they were both gone. The snail in question looks like a Nassarius, with that one antena like thing sticking up from his head. He is big though, and an inch and 1/2 with stripes like a zebra. Fast too, he can cruise.
I suspected him in my snail losses so I tossed him in the hang on the back refugium. With in a day he was back in the tank, crawled back in via the outlet tube. So he is big, fast and smart. Now he is living alone in a 3 gallon tank and all snails are accounted for in the 29. Nasty little critter, I'd love to see one of my hermits in that striped shell. I just can't bring myself to give him the freezer bath. Anybody want him?

JSM....if when you say bumble bees you mean bumble bee snails he eats those too.

Larry - does it look like this shell on the top? Trapezium Horse Conch If not, does the shape of the shell look similar or does the shell look substantially different. Can you post a pic of it?

Back