I finally gotten the quote I been waiting for

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OldManOfTheSea

OK, I finally gotten myself the quote I been waiting for, this is why I not said anything of this because i had nothing that I could say to what everything would be, but also, due to the cost at this time for both the 240 and a all new 40 gal breeder tank, the total cost for both tanks at this time is $14,062.55. $2,311 is the total for the 40 gal breeder tank and $11,751.55 is the total to rebuild the 240 SPS tank. Last something others knew was that I had a heating unit problem, that has been fixed, that and the lost of one of my cats cost me the $3,000 I saved from Jan thru March, I will not have to raise $6,540.00 for a new AC & heating Unit. Im figuring to have for this project before this year ends, $6,000 and also, the stand & canopy for $2,400 is already paid for.

So now on the lighting, you can see if the T5 lights will hold up the end of not having only three 250 w MH on a eight foot long 240 gal tank, how you feel it would hold up? I am also however at this time, accepting donations for a old mans dream, I am really however young at heart. So here it is, now I only need to wait a year or more and the dream will become a reality and by that time, I would had waited from the first thought in planning this, more then 10 years.
=========================================================
Buddy`s 240 Gallon and 40 Gallon Breeder quote

Ok Buddy, for the 240 gallon reef/eel/fish tank you are looking at:

New stand and canopy ( around 40” inside)-------------- = $2400.00
New sump( 125 gallon aquarium converted) --------------- =$375.00
Pump to skimmer ( provided by Buddy) -----------------------=$0.00
Pump to chiller( external mag drive md40 960 gph) --------- =$119.00
Return pump to 240( sweetwater hi-efficiency 2850 gph)--- =$460.00
400 lbs. of live rock( cured $6.99 per lbs.) --------------- =$2796.00
MH ballasts ( 3- 250 wt. ballasts by Galaxy)--------------- =$215.00 each
Reef Optix 1 pendant and tempered lens (250wt.-3 times)---=$219.00 each
Metal Halide 250 wt. 14000k (3 bulbs)----------------------=$114.00 each
IceCap T5 4’ strips( 8 sets 4 on the front 4 on back) -------=$528.90
Cooling fans (6 - 4” fans)--------------------------------- =$332.00
Live sand ( 100 lbs. soft Fiji live sand)--------------------- =$125.00
3” pvc inserts for eels ------------------------------------- =$65.00
Glass inserts( for top of 240) ------------------------------ =$85.00
Filter media(for 125 sump) --------------------------------- =$92.65
Bulkheads and fittings( for 125 gallon sump) ---------------- =$68.00
R.O. booster pump( aquafx adds 50 psi) ------------------- =$156.00
Pvc pipe work( for return lines and to new pumps) ----------- =$45.00
Hang on refugium( AquaFuge Hang-on Refugium) ----------- =$335.00
Labor for all work ---------------------------------------- =$2125.00

We also have as new technology on the market from IceCap a new light unit that incorporates LED lighting. With this new style of light if you get the entire light set( MH, LED’s, and T5’s --- 2 - 4’ units) cost around $2000.00, but the LED strips (4’) cost around $95.00 each. Also, in the past couple of months a new style of ballast has hit the market that enables us to use one ballast instead of three. They are priced a little more than the Galaxy unit, but you save in the long run.

For the 40 gallon breeder you are looking at:

40 gallon aquarium( doesn’t come with overflows)--------- =$110.00
Hang-on overflow ---------------------------------------- =$90.00
Stand -------------------------------------------------- =$195.00
Canopy (has to be custom made) ------------------------ =$585.00
Glass top ------------------------------------------------ =$38.00
T5 light strip( 4 light unit by AquaticLife with LED‘s) ------- =$335.00
Sump ( use one of Buddy’s) ------------------------------- =$0.00
Return pump( Mag 9.5 around 900gph) ------------------- =$120.00
Heater (300 wt. unit) ------------------------------------ =$40.00
Drain and return lines------------------------------------- =$38.00
Skimmer( use one of Buddy’s) ------------------------------ =$0.00
UV Sterilizer(lifeguard ultraviolet 40 wt.) ------------------ =$225.00
Labor for 40 gallon retrofit -------------------------------- =$535.00

I hope this helps you in calculating your costs. The prices that I gave you also don’t include any structural work we might need to do to shore up the floors, that would be extra. Also, the labor rate quoted above is only for the work mentioned above.

James Mirgoli
President
HydroConcepts, Inc.

=======================================================

Any thoughts would be taking serious, after all, were talking some serious money here, LOL

Buddy

Cooling fans (6 - 4” fans)--------------------------------- =$332.00 WHAT?? too much $$$

UV Sterilizer(lifeguard ultraviolet 40 wt.) ------------------ =$225.00
don't need it

400 lbs. of live rock( cured $6.99 per lbs.) --------------- =$2796.00
buy dry dead Marco rocks and cure your self for less than half the price
better this way so no unwanted hitchikers

Reef Optix 1 pendant and tempered lens (250wt.-3 times)---=$219.00 each
lumen brights are only 120 each

3” pvc inserts for eels ------------------------------------- =$65.00
your kidding me right??
Go to Home depot and buy a chunk of 3" pvc and toss it in the tank

New stand and canopy ( around 40” inside)-------------- = $2400.00
a local can make you a nice one for less than half the price :)

If that is a stores itemized list, I believe you could do a better job of getting some of the stuff yourself, just by doing a little seaching, checking prices, etc.
You are getting hosed.

If that is a stores itemized list, I believe you could do a better job of getting some of the stuff yourself, just by doing a little seaching, checking prices, etc.
You are getting hosed.

+1 Finn

Do lots of reasearch on the items you want, you can definately do bett. Also you can save alot of money by doing the stand and canopy yourself. There is a wealth of info out there in regards to making your own stand and canopy.

These items i will list back to James that I will buy them and have them ship to my house for im just these items a lone, I will save I think better then $1,000. I need help finding other things listed in the quote, mainly dry goods. I will as well when the time look up each item that James listed.

These I will order myself for the total cost is over $14K and still there will be supports to be in place, extra supports.

But mainly as well I would like to know with the exact MH with T5 lights, will it be more then what I will need for the SPS corals that will demand the highest in lighting quality?

MH ballasts ( 3- 250 wt. ballasts by Galaxy)------------- =$215.00 each
Reef Optix 1 pendant and tempered lens (250wt.-3 times)-=$219.00 each
Hang on refugium( AquaFuge Hang-on Refugium) ---------- =$335.00

Later when im the time, I will check out your suggestions and Thanks again :)

Thanks Buddy

With doing a 240, why would you want to use a HOB refugium? Are you going to have a Sump? Tell us more about your 240 like is it already drilled? What equipment do you already have?

The quote calls for a 125 to be converted to a sump. Why the need for a HOB refuge, when you have a 5' sump and you can find a 125 for way cheaper on Craiglist, or from someone selling on here.
+1 on the Macro rock thats what im using and its the best.
Dont get the glass lids that will not be good during the summer, it will be like an oven, and also it doesnt allow gases to exscape.
If your going with a canopy why would you waste your time and money with a pendant, go with a retro kit and it will save you lots of money.
And i would do alot of research as that quote is boguss. look into your local forum and look for the deals.

You don't want a high flow through the sump.
Get a slower flow pump, use part of the sump as a refugium, and get powerheads or whatever for flow in the tank.

I am also however at this time, accepting donations for a old mans dream,

Buddy

Just doing some quick calculations and a few google seaches, I figure I could trim several thousand off that total figure.
All you have to do is a little reseach on your part, maybe a little diy on your part.
hows that for a donation?:rolleyes:

If this is really a quote from a store near you, go somewhere else and see what they say.

+1 what finn said here

Also for a 240gal tank i figure it is 30" deep just a hunch, I would recommend 400w MH lights for that and T12 vhos.

i feel like 250w mh lights would really limit your sweet spots for some "high light required" corals and lack of light in most cases are going to make your corals not the color you are looking for and have seen. I think you would regret it

OK, the whole problem here for me in this hobby is that im disabled and im no longer able to do what I want to setup anymore, so I am with no other choice but to count on other people. I mean, I can do my water changes and so on, and being of the height the tank will be, I will have a great amount of difficulties when it comes time for buying and the placement of the corals.

I called James a short while ago and left him a message that I needed to talk to him on the equipment and I let him know that there is no problem, for as well early on, he said that he wanted to save me some money, so here is his chance.

The tank is a standard 240 8x2x2' for if the tank was 30" tall, then yes, I would need 400w MH.

Later when im the time, I will look for links for all the dry goods listed and it might help some if my search not turn up a link were some one knows that it would be for less.

Buddy

now thats a nice footprint of a tank and if you have any questions just feel free to ask were all here to help one another.

That is good Slim :), I did ask one question twice or more and that is if the lights listed in the quote will do for what I want? Also I will have a DSB of 4" or greater. I only need to know that the lights will do for most any SPS coral I would desire to have.

Buddy

That is good Slim :), I did ask one question twice or more and that is if the lights listed in the quote will do for what I want? Also I will have a DSB of 4" or greater. I only need to know that the lights will do for most any SPS coral I would desire to have.

Buddy

Your question about the lights is yes, those that you have picked out will be great for anything.
BUT almost $2200 is waay to much for lights.

If I were you I would start looking at some online prices, get some models and prices and then tell your guy, this is what you want to do.

Unless of course you have money to burn.

I just email James about the cost, that im no issues about his selections on the equipment that I will order the exact equipment he listed and save at the end of it all more then $3-$4K, im waiting for is answer, and I reminded him that he wanted to save me some money on this. I will be looking for everything that I can buy myself and get it for less, for it would however cut down on the wait by months.

Buddy

I will be looking for everything that I can buy myself and get it for less, for it would however cut down on the wait by months.

I agree if you can save some cash you may not have to wait so long to get going, how exciting.

Back