I finally gotten the quote I been waiting for

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I posted some quotes from you fellas to Keith so he could get a better idea as well in what is going on here and it will be a while before I get a reply back from him, but he is just another who opinion I trust.

jrgilles, you and the others here are helping me out, I can always get someone else to do this tank for me if James feeling are hurt again, in which im sure they will be, LOL And besides, it is a very long drive from Seattle, WA :) But you are helping now, and still the dream will live on, If James dumps me which he had this chance a while ago before i gotten his quote, and I some how wish that he did drop me.

Im with my grandchildren right now, I will check the qutoes james giving me and go from there, and if you fellas weren`t so ugly I would kiss you all, :D

The name for argi is keith, im sure many of you know of him, but I feel if im to do this, I would also be needing him, this is the message I posted for him in trying to ask him for his help. For he said when you go to lfs, they charge much more, but james is with no store, he works out from his home. Now the message I post foir Keith.

Yes Keith, if I gone to a lfs they cost more, but this guy is not in any store you can go too, he works out from his home. And yes, OK make a few extra dollars, but the item like the HOB refugium his cost is $335 and I fond the link its at and if its the largest one, the cost is $165, he plans to make $170 on that a lone. When I seen the cost to each item I figured that I was going to get top of the line equipment, not taking for a ride for yes, i wouldn`t bother with this and gone for it if he was only trying to earn a few extra dollars by charging $25 more for this or $35 for that. I mean, lord knows what else his going over kill with.

Im trying to run a search on each item listed, I found a link for the return pump for the 240( sweetwater high efficiency 2850 gph)---- =$460.00 I think that its the first one at that link it cost under $300 not unless im making a mistake on my ID. Three links I sent to you in private message.

Keith, you have to admit that working out from ones house and he is charging me $2125.00 for his labor and many say that is too much, but I no issue with that, its in the open and I can identify his asking for more then most, but the cost for the lighting is another thing for the three MH bulbs, is asking $115 each and they can be bought for around $70, thats $45 dollars more from each bulb. I get a total cost for lighting at $2172.90 But im concern its not totally top of the line. Cost wise it would say it is, but you will see that the 3 ballast are $129.95 and he is charging me $215 for each and that another $85 dollars each which totals to $255 more.

The Reef Optix 1 pendant is really you can get for $109.99 each and his cost he wants $219.00 each, that is easy to add up, his profit there is 110 each which totals at another $330, and the HOB I already told you about, Aquafuge Hang on Refuge, the large one is only $164.99, his total profit there is is $170. Now with all that Keith, can you see his trying to make a total killing from me?

If im to have some others do these tanks for me, with your help and a number of others, I would buy the dry goods each month I saved the $1,000 for this project, i figure that this year remaining, i will save $6,000 for the tanks equipment, but I honestly need your help with the few others who I known about and can trust all for you and their only reward from this will see that I become successful in gaining the equipment i most desire to have. I have no wish to buy cheap and go through much extra cost for these tanks. And please don`t forget that i already paid one other to do this and he done everything wrong, and his cost was even more.

Please help me each month im ready to spend $1,000 on aquarium equipment that i will need and the new people I will see about rebuilding these tanks will do the work for me and they can charge $2000, it wouldn't bother me then, but not someone who is making money from me from both ends.
Right after I post this, I send you a PM, and Thanks no matter how you judge this :)

Also on the item his over charing way to much, you say it been discontinued, I noticing that he has suggested many items before today and each one has discontinued as well, I would have to say Keith that james isn`t the one for me for i can not trust him :(

Here are links I found when trying to ID the model and cost>

Return pump to 240( sweetwater hi-efficiency 2850 gph)---- =$460.00
http://www.webbsonline.com/catalog/pumpsext/index.html
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/121/Sweetwater-High-Efficiency-Pumps
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1460/Sweetwater-Centrifugal-Pumps

Galaxy ballasts here for $129.95 ea
http://www.aquacave.com/galaxy-250w-...pply-1186.html

Reef Optix 1 pendant for $109.99 ea
http://www.aquacave.com/reef-optix-1...pply-1140.html

Aquafuge Hang on Refuge, the large one is only $164.99
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...=0790182000000

I hope with that Keith will see that i really need his help as well for up until September i think, every month i can buy equipment for the 240. And then when Jan 2011 comes around, I can recontinue buying again.

Buddy

Good job on the research. Those increases are crazy. I agree that the labor can be overlooked if he does a good job, but this item to item jack ups of over 100% on some is just crazy. >.<

The other items I already know about their true cost and amoung them his charging me more then $888.00 and that is from just four of the quotes giving to me, four!

Items I need some help on>

IceCap T5 4’ strips( 8 sets 4 on the front 4 on back) --------- =$528.90
Live sand ( 100 lbs. soft Fiji live sand)------------------------- =$125.00
3” pvc inserts for eels --------------------------------------- =$65.00
Glass inserts( for top of 240) ---------------------------------- =$85.00
Filter media(for 125 sump) ------------------------------------ =$92.65
Bulkheads and fittings( for 125 gallon sump) -------------------- =$68.00
R.O. booster pump( aquafx adds 50 psi) ----------------------- =$156.00
Pvc pipe work( for return lines and to new pumps) ---------- =$45.00
Return pump to 240( sweetwater hi-efficiency 2850 gph)---- =$460.00
400 lbs. of live rock( cured $6.99 per lbs.) ------------------- =$2796.00 New sump( 125 gallon aquarium converted) ------------------- =$375.00
--------------------------------
Cooling fans (6 - 4” fans)--------------------------- =$332.00
I need to see what kind of cooling fans that will be mounted into the canopy that are worth that much for i know of, or heard of cooling fans that do cost around $60 or so, and their not from radio shack
--------------------------------

What is more strange here, his quote not include a chiller, calcium or phosphate reactors and skimmer and yet he is way up high in cost, but yes, he wants to make a killing, i already touch base with a new lfs, and the owner happens to remember me when he was working for Jeff at fish world, he remembers how wrong Jeff done me. Only one kicker to this, he not work with SPS tanks, and I told him that I only need you to help me put the tanks together and he said his solid booked through the next number of months, I told him that this will take a bit longer for me to get most of the equipment I will need, I only not know how much it will cost right not, but it should be far less costly then James price quote.

That is also the reason why I would like to get exact data on the remaining items and once completed, i will print it out and give James a surprise visit. I also have another new lfs to check up about building this tank later on, but it would prove to be far better to buy the equipment myself with the assistance of a very few in just three different forum links, what one can not think of, the others will.

This was quoted to me: SO yes his cost is higher and you can save a lot by purchasing stuff on your own, but some places will not assist you in the set up if you don't buy the supplies from them. This is going to be up to you to either find a place that is willing to work with you on the prices, find a place that will set up everything for you once you have accumulated all the pieces or just go with the place that has the higher prices and let them set everything up for you.

I will call this one other lfs i know and ask them if they will do this later on, and if its because I will buy the equipment myself, i will then speak to the owners and tell them what im looking to have here and how I not wish to have cheap equipment and as well, equipment out of date or has or will become discontinued. It would be worth the shot to try.

Buddy

You need to do WAY more research!!!!! It is worth saving a dime, and in your case, it will be much more than that. I agree that you can get pvc MUCH cheaper and most things on your list. T5s, even 4 of them you don't have to spend that much either. Same thing with the UV (esp considering its not that important or vital). DO SOME SEARCHING.

I need to know what you all think about still using the ballast that was highly recommended so highly. Im looking to go with four Sunlight Supply Lumen Max Elite HQI 250W Fixture at $167.99 each and the question is, do I still go with the two Sunlight Supply Blue Wave 7 250W HQI Dual Metal Halide Ballast , but also i would get an extra two as backup. Im speaking to James that he might complete the work needed for the canopy, even that it wont be for a year at most before I could enjoy it. But the question is all due to the discontinuing product.

I found links to were they charge for two pendants with two bulbs and glass protector with one ballast, but the pendent is under 10" wide and cost a bit more then $650 and i would need to buy two sets running me some $1350 and the one was I believe was recommended, the pendent is some 14.5" wide, much better this is.

I only touched base with James that maybe he would get this cost of the job completed with the canopy as well as with the icecap cooling fans. but also, from james quote on the T5 lighting, being it was suggested with only three 250 w MH and I will have four, what is the thought to you all on this, or would you strongly suggest switching to VHO.

I would need to know exactly which, what and type of bulbs, Thanks

Buddy

Please Fellas, I need some word before James calls me either Monday or which ever day he will call me about this that I sent him word that I will go back to the idea on having 4x 250 w MH and I not just want to have his word to what the lighting will or should be.

His thoughts to the T5 with three 250 w MH was with IceCap T5 4' strips( 8 sets 4 on the front 4 on back) --------$528.90

Im afraid that I not understand that quote for it sounds to me like a whole lot of T5 lights. Is it it for four sets of four T5 bulbs, two in the front and back?

I honestly need to hear your thoughts on this in what i would want is best to go with the 4x250 watt MH with four Sunlight Supply Lumen Max Elite HQI 250W Fixture each at $167.99.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Sunlight...nlight_Supply_Inc-SL1543-FILTFIMHPDDE-vi.html

And the biggest question is, do i still go with this ballast that was highly suggested to me a year ago Sunlight Supply Blue Wave 7 250W HQI Dual Metal Halide Ballast that one can still buy, but has been discontinued.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Sunlight...ight_Supply_Inc-SL1173-FILTACBAMHTFMB-vi.html

Thanks, Buddy

Shipmate, Buddy, OldManOfTheSea:

My advise to you. Go to the BBB and report this guy. This guy sounds like a scam artist. If he was the real deal he would recommend items to you, not demand that you use them.

Second thing. You have 6 SW tanks and must have a lfs that you trust and do business with. I would take a list of items to the owner or MGR and see what kind of deal s/he can swing for you. I'm sure you could probably pay some of the employees to swing by on their day off for cash to set it up. I don't know if you guys have tank cleaners over there, but a couple of the LFS in the Seattle area will maintain and set up your tanks for a fee.

In a 240 that's 8' long you have plenty of room under your tank.

I would run something small, like a 20 or 30 gallon for a sump, and keep your skimmer, calc reactor, heater, ATO, and whatever else in there. I would then get another large tank and set that up as your fuge.

As far as lighting goes, I like the blue from T12 VHO's better than the blue you get out of T5's. If you go with a canopy, get retro fit stuff. If not aquatic life makes a wicked light set up with really tiny halides in them. They are 150W bulbs that are supposed to be brighter than 250W DE Halides (From what the LFS told me). The hood has built in timers in it.

If you can get items (i.e. pumps, lights, etc for hundreds less than your LFS, I would purchase online.) On a purchase this size, I would think your LFS would cut you quite a large break. If they have Anniversary sales, they may tell you to buy your stand and tank then, as they are often sold at cost or slightly over cost.

I don't think there is a HOB fuge large enough that would benifit you in a 240gallon system.

I would also put some sort of reef keeper or other moniter/timer on your set up as well.

An automatic top off system would also be a must have in my book.

v/r

Ryan

well buying from a LFS I can see the prices being that high equipment from any LFS is not the cheapest I am not by no means trying to bash any store here or there but calling a spade a spade. mark up on equipment is sometimes outragous I look at things on line then go to a LFS even if I pay Higher I still look at adding shipping. but adding shipping still doesn't add up to uncle sam wanting his cut. As the reason I buy most equipment online live stock well thats a different story but I could see the price of the tank set up being so High. I watched a LFS in las vegas they are now closed another story charge a set up for a tank 10g's for a 125 and thats tank sump stand and canopy with plumbing and deliever. sad thing was it was a 275.00 cheap tank shop drilled and had a local vegas guy build the over flow box stand and canopy was nice and that cost a total of 1g just for the stand and canopy. no no live rock no water no sand lighting or live stock. I was like ouch people have money some people will see you coming a mile away and if you do not know any better thats even worse. research and see what you can do better as for the BBB thats not alot they will do as this is not a complaint more of grand larcney lol if he would of paid for it I know most all of the sponsors on this site would probly beat that price with shipping included that sucks but I know their are alot of reefers in your state I know 3reef has some even thought I stated to a local member in las vegas I will never go back there as she was busted robbing aka (cutting frags of corals people bought in a group buy) people in las vegas site so I let her do her thing and just warned the admin but since noone on the west coast reaaly frequents that site it should not be a big issue. her loss not mine. be honest with people is what I go by and not rob them for good corals and or equipment.

Only reason I brought up the BBB is just so there would be a complaint or warning on file for the next consumer this guys runs into (That is if anyone even checks this guy out at all.)

Back