I got rid of them!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reefgirl78

I just wanted to let everyone know I killed the outbreak of majano anemone's!!! I used someones advice on here and ordered "joe's juice". It has been 2 weeks now and ALL are dead. Killed them instantly. It's like they disolved. I applied directly around my xenia and right next to my giant rose anemone and frogspawn and torch coral and my polyps and right next to my giant green finger leather. All are dead and coraline grew right where it was applied as well which is nice. I assume it is super concentrated calcium that is safe as the coraline grew there overnight.

Just wanted to let everyone know my happy news.

I even had one aptasia and it killed it too. The best stuff ever for 8$ a bottle. I bought 2 bottles for my 120 with a serious outbreak.
I must say I never thought it would live up to what it said, but it truly did!

Thanks,
Ali :)

congrats, joes juice works like a charm. I think the only problem with that stuff is that it requires lots of manual work, but congrats, your hard work paid off.

josh

With mojanos I just smashed them with by tank cleaning toothbrush. They never came back. But with aptasia they just don't let up.

I have a major issue with aiptasia these days, I have been stabbing them with no remorse. I have heard injecting them with various things works, but I don't have any needles... where would you get them?

In Ct. All you have to do is ask pharmasist They gave me 2 for free. I'm not sure but I think it is policy since aids came to be.

Wait your supposed to use a needle and inject them?! I thought you were supposed to use the little syringe and "feed them"....

Knock on wood so far I've never had that problem.I broke off the needle and just used the syringe to target feed my corals. But I have read that some people inject, and others shut off pumps and use syringe to cover the aptaisia or what ever else your getting rid of.

I also have been just using a sewing tweezers, (made of stainless steel and very sharp and pointy) to simply grap and yank them out. But you need to be quick, think "snatch the chocolate from my hand grasshopper".

What works for me:http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=354744

Boil RO/DI water in a cup in the microwave.
Mix in Kalk powder
Stir and then suck into a syringe with a 21 gauge needle.

Inject into aptasia, majano's, etc...

The boiling kalk slush mix usually disolves them in one shot. I'll usually have 10% or so make a valient attempt at survival, so another round 2-3 days later gets them.

Haven't ever seen harm to surrounding, good stuff. (but I'm careful)

I've seen people "feed" something similar, but when I tried it, about 1/2 survived... this seems to have a higher success rate, making sure the paste works on them from the inside out.

~Kurt

Wait your supposed to use a needle and inject them?! I thought you were supposed to use the little syringe and "feed them"....

Ya I used the kalswisser trick all ways and aptasia are a real problem. I have battled them off and on for over 10 years with different tanks off and on. Kalswisser works better on aptasia than the majano's. I used a toothbrush on my rock for the majano and that worked for about a week then I litterally had hundreds all over my rock. I found out that just one cell of a majano left on a rock can spread and create several hundred. I believe that aptasia are similar.
Joes juice works the best I have found. I did not like the way the kalswisser left piles of white stuff all over my rock and then my calcium levels were all over the place, and it still did not work the first or second time;but usually the 3rd or 4th time. That's why I like the Joes juice. You get it all done in one round.

Happy hunting...
-Ali:)

I also have been just using a sewing tweezers, (made of stainless steel and very sharp and pointy) to simply grap and yank them out. But you need to be quick, think "snatch the chocolate from my hand grasshopper".

I thinke the idea is to eliminate the entire anemone polyp and stem. I don't know how well the tweezers will work. I personally like filling a syrenge with boiling water then jam my syrenge into the aiptasia and killing the heck out of it.. :cool:

I must admit it gives me a sick gradification to inject with a needle into those things. They are just such an annoyance.

-ali

You can probably go to your local horse feed/supply store and ask them. They usually have a number of diffrent sizes you can choose from, for a low price. They use them for meds. Good luck

You can also buy a syringe at a hobby shop. They have a curved, pointy tip on them. I cut the tip back a bit to make a larger opening so the kalk does not clog them. They are for glue application.

I got some needles today: I tried the super concentrated salt solution and a super concentrated buffer mix. I think the buffer is working. I don't have kalk so I am trying this first. I am also trying boiling water, but damn those aps just suck into the rock so fast they seem to just dissapear.

Back