I jumped the gun, questions on best path from here

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ok, coming up on 3 weeks now and just noticed these little spots growing on the back wall, thought I'd ask what they might be before I just clean them off.

Thanks!

WhiteSpots.jpg

yes in the long run they need pods..but they also chomp on algae to..but they do need pods in the long hall.

You are thinking of there relatives the Mandarins...they are only pod eaters. OMG i Just noticed.

This tanks a baby....just born! WoW get scooty to the shop...save his life... Your tank MUST be established before you put this guy in there. IF the same store sold it to you knowing your tank is new...I personally would change stores.

Scooter Blennies(Dragonets) do not eat algae:) They will pick through it looking for tiny arthropods and other small crustaceans but they are not eating the algae itself. Many articles suggest cultivating small patches of algae, which are suitable sites for pod reproduction/habitat, when keeping this fish. If you still have this fish look into Essential Live Feeds living pod products to get your pod population kick started. We have had some success getting most dragonet species converted over to frozen prawn roe as well. Good Luck!

As for your pic I would guess baby barnacles or snail egg clusters but its too blurry to tell for sure.

Last edited:
I scraped off the specks because I was afraid they were bad, if they come back I'll leave them alone and see what they turn into.

Everything is still alive. Between the live rock and adding the nitrifying bacteria I somehow avoided an ammonia spike, nitrites are .5 ppm. I have the Seachem AmmoniaAlert and was afraid is was not working because it had been yellow (<.02ppm) since I got it 3 weeks ago. I took it out yesterday and sprayed it with Windex to make sure it was working, turned bright blue (>.5ppm) on the first spray.

I purchased a cleanup crew and all of the brown algae is gone, waiting for the green stuff to show up.

Thanks for all the help!

wow the sponges were good dude... slow down... your all ready freaking out..

I think the best thing to do would be to replace the rock with real Reef Rock.
cylce the tank correctly, and start over... return the fish or set them in a stable tank at a friends house....
do you have equipment... Refractometer. RODI, test kits... anything...
also its a really really really and i MEAN REALLY bad idea to have windex anywhere around a tank... Im crazy with that even being sprayed in the same room...

maybe you will make it by with out death... (and i hope so) but.. your tank is young and you need to remember that, its gonna be some time b4 things really become stable and able,

slow....... remember slow...
if you think your going to slow... that means your going to fast, and you need to go slower then your thinking slow is.

wow the sponges were good dude... slow down... your all ready freaking out..

I think the best thing to do would be to replace the rock with real Reef Rock.
cylce the tank correctly, and start over... return the fish or set them in a stable tank at a friends house....
do you have equipment... Refractometer. RODI, test kits... anything...
also its a really really really and i MEAN REALLY bad idea to have windex anywhere around a tank... Im crazy with that even being sprayed in the same room...

maybe you will make it by with out death... (and i hope so) but.. your tank is young and you need to remember that, its gonna be some time b4 things really become stable and able,

slow....... remember slow...
if you think your going to slow... that means your going to fast, and you need to go slower then your thinking slow is.

I agree. The windex was not in the same room :)

We are actually starting over, we have purchased a larger setup and will be taking our time getting it up and running http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37318

The only thing that has died was a chromis that never recovered from the trip home from Petco.

The new tank will have all live rock or deep water rock with a live sand bed and will be cycled properly before anything is introduced.

Current tank shot (I need to read up on how to take pictures of tanks):
Small1.jpg

Back