I keep over flowing...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I use both a manual float valve with pressure shut off and auto top off kit from autotopoff.com. I can run it directly from RO/DI or run it with a reservoir. I put all in a large sump which has no baffles. I have a SWC 300A skimmer adjusted to height of water level that floats keep stable.

i dont use any float switches because they tend to fail and have a risk of flooding etc. I just use a reducer on the 1/2" hose brings the flow down. The TLF kalkreactors have this built in the design. Then i just use a appliance timer that has 1min interval settings and got it to keep my water level perfectly even all the time by simply adding more or less time.

reactor + hose + mj1200 + timer is cheaper than any ATO system out there anyways and i sleep well at night knowing it will never flood. ever

http://www.marinedepot.com/Hamilton...ium_Lighting-Hamilton-HT3111-FILTACTM-vi.html
http://www.marinedepot.com/Two_Litt...tors-Two_Little_Fishies-TL4613-FICRKR-vi.html

im sure you can find these around cheaper elsewhere but they will match the price if u do and thats all you need aside from hose and a bucket/drum/resevoir

Last edited:
i dont use any float switches because they tend to fail and have a risk of flooding etc. I just use a reducer on the 1/2" hose brings the flow down. The TLF kalkreactors have this built in the design. Then i just use a appliance timer that has 1min interval settings and got it to keep my water level perfectly even all the time by simply adding more or less time.

reactor + hose + mj1200 + timer is cheaper than any ATO system out there anyways and i sleep well at night knowing it will never flood. ever

Hamilton 24hr Digital Timer
Two Little Fishies KW Reactor 300 (Kalkwasser Reactor)

im sure you can find these around cheaper elsewhere but they will match the price if u do and thats all you need aside from hose and a bucket/drum/resevoir

I'm sorry but that made absolutely no sense to me at all. How exactly is a kalk reactor on a timer a guarantee of no flooding?
Also I don't know where I can even get a kalk reactor and timer for cheaper than this ATO setup
Top-it-Off Kit Premium

well if you put it on a timer you control the amount of water it puts in daily. it will never fail like a sensor can. when a sensor/float switch fails it will just keep the pump running until your resevoir is empty thus flooding your place. (unless resevoir is smaller than remaing space in your sump/tank) This just runs for one minute or 2 at a time 8 times per day this timer will allow. some other timers have much more. can also program your controller to do this im sure, never had one.

In my situation im dosing kalk at night only. i set it to run 3 times on 2 min cycles and 5 times on one minute cycles to achieve my desired top off rate and it stays exactly where i want it. I went on vacation last month for 7 days and came back to it working perfectly :)

just another option for folks i guess :) do whatever works for you, i just fell in love with this method as soon as i got the reactor. this is the method they recommend using with it anyways.

Last edited:
Back