I need EVERYONES opinion BADLY!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yeah that was the one. Hell i even called up to ask one of their tech support people if that is what i would use on a 90 SPS and they said yes!! i guess you can't trust anybody over there!

Well ultimately it is up to you. I off the top of my head only know 1 person that just runs a calcium reactor w/ no kalk mixer, and that is DonW. The only reason that he stopped is that he was having some problems w/ calcium build up on his pumps. Also he is just about to start running kalk again due to low ph. So IMO start w/ a kalk mixer, then when your needs go beyond it then look into setting up a calcium reactor. Always keep a eye out for a used one too, they pop up on the boards all the time and you can get them for half or less of what the new price is. It is a good thing you have us to save you from those sites who have no idea of what they are selling. That link reed posted in one of your other threads had a hell of a deal for a regulator and monitor.

I don't remeber if someone answered me on this or not but do i need a constant supply of RODI water to run a Kalk Reactor? or do i just fill it up as needed? Also who selling them the cheapest out there on the net?

Yes you will need a constant supply of rodi to run your kalk mixer. It is a good idea anyway to stabalize your salinity. As to where to get one i don't know where the cheapest is, but they are all over the place. Premium has one for $200 from PM w/ a maxijet mixing pump. Myreefcreations has one w/ a magnetic stir bar for $200. I am sure that you can find one for $100 if you look around enough.

shallowreef said:
I don't remeber if someone answered me on this or not but do i need a constant supply of RODI water to run a Kalk Reactor? or do i just fill it up as needed? Also who selling them the cheapest out there on the net?

Not really just a bucket and ATO is fine. I'm going to glue up a kalk reactor this week-end that is very simple and easy. I'll post you some pics. You will see how simple they really are.

Don

I only run the Ca reactor...no Kalk on my system and it does fine. My PH varies between 7.8 and 8.2 throughout the day. Kalk is only as good as your evap rate. If you don't evap much throughout a day (my case) then you won't see much benefit from Kalk in any for since it is only added with fresh water topoff. Ca Rx on the other hand is running all day and continually adding Ca and Alk to the system. It really depends on your system what you need.

Well i evaporate about 4-5 gallons a week in the summer. Now that winter is here i think it will be a little less. Honestly i never paid attention to exactly how much i evaporate i just fill it up once a week like its second nature.

Yeah, that would be great don but, i still am unsure on the whole DIY method. I would hate build something and have it fall apart because i did something wrong.

shallowreef said:
Yeah, that would be great don but, i still am unsure on the whole DIY method. I would hate build something and have it fall apart because i did something wrong.

I just meant how they function. Personally if I did not already have the tube and stirrer I'd be buying the smaller PM for around $200.

Don

Well i evaporate about 4-5 gallons a week in the summer
If that is all you are evaporating I doubt you will really benefit that much from Kalk. It will work for a while, but if you are going to add corals and clams quickly (which I don't recommend) then IMHO you might as well go to a Ca Rx. You just have to watch your PH to make sure you don't depress it too much.

FWIW I was evaporating about a gallon a day on a 75 gallon tank the the Kalk couldn't keep up with my demands.

Back