i need help aquascaping

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

It's opinion and the type of rock to some extent.

The biggest obstacle is trying to go up in height with small sized rock pieces!

To overcome this try drilling holes in/thru the rocks and zip tie or fill with short pieces of acyrilic rod.

Recently someone made a device where they drilled into a bottom plate a square pattern on a plastic starboard. Hundreds of holes all 1-2" apart in rows and colums. and had the rods standing up every 1-2" and cut them at different lengths and only used the rods where they were needed to support the rock. This way they could not move much but could be removed if needed.

Ultimately take all the rock into the garadge on the floor dry somewhat 6 hours in air won't kill all the life off it !! mask of the area the size of the tank floor and arrange it there also marking the size of the top. to ensure it will fit inside!!

Hope that helps

:)

Paul

i just bought more rock today and it just looks messy

paul i think i will try this thanks for all the help

Try making a stand with PVC and egg crate. I tried it on my last tank and was very happy with it. I have a pic on here somewhere. I will try to find it.

I've spent 8 hours straight trying to get my rockwork right before. I was so mentally exhausted I threw up! :shock: I know your pain man...Best bit of advise I could give is to get a picture of what you want the tank to look like in your mind and try replicate it or maybe look at someone else's setup and do the same :)

I found it easier to have someone with me when I was placing the rock..they can get a birdseye view of it ..it's tough to do it when you get the distortion from the top. and when you are too close.

in my case ..it was my spousal unit that wanted the look so she directed while i placed.

star rider
I think you found the best way to get it done! Now you are both happy with it:D

piece together in 3's

If you try to piece an entire rock structure together,you will feel frustration like never before.I have found that by starting with 3 pieces at a time,you can than focus on makeing three to six seperate clusters[try to make each one shaped like a u or close to it.Than you will find yourself with an easy to stack,and already apropriatly spaced rock structure.I have recently found that rivits made of plastic[for attaching fenders,door panals,etc] work better than concrete]And while your at it it pays to put your base rock on half inch pvc legs. This will help in sandbed longgevity and health for years to come and prevent gobie death.But above all take deep breaths and relize you got all day.

Many many ways. I have some supporting my cave system. Sheets of eggcrate material with small pvc pipes that have holes drilled on one end, lashed on with zip ties. Some use PVC cement to sheet acrylic.

alright i think this is probably what i am going to do and thanks for all the help

Back