I need to begin research on which SPS corals and few other species of corals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OldManOfTheSea

Now I would like to get myself a stocking list of corals together prior to two reef aquariums being completed, for which the electrical work was finally done not too long ago. I'm too have mostly SPS corals with clams and two pair of dwarf eels. I am thinking as well that I will have a small number of soft corals as well as few others.

The lights be on these tanks are 250 watts MH which three are on the 180 and four are on the 240. The idea be that I should be able to manage any coral that requires stronger lighting. With all the lights, VHO and so, I not have the complete figures on them, that also I will ask the lfs owner to give me on paper so that I will have what's my total lighting be.

As well, much later on I will ask him too email me each tanks be with equipment and lights, etc>

I have a large number of corals in which im to get back into the research too better decide on what I might have or disregard that coral. I not know a lot with the SPS corals, also I wish to manage on having a variety of colors, that's so the tanks not look green only, LOL

I will ,now be open to suggestions and I will give a list that I was to start some two years ago research on, but was cut short due to the many delays in when these tanks might begin to start stocking with corals>

Montipora Cap Purple
Acropora Millepora Raspberry
Blastomussa wellsi - Fire Red
Blastomussa Merletti
Orange Digitata
Superman Monti
Pink Cotton Pillow
Tortuosa
OrangeRicordia (Ricordia florida)
Purple Acropora Corals (Acropora sp.)
Green Acropora Coral (Acropora sp.)
Turbinaria Ruffled Ridge Coral (Turbinaria sp.)
Stylophora Coral (Stylophora spp.)
Blue Acropora Coral (Acropora sp.)
Brown Acropora Coral (Acropora sp.)
Orange Montipora Encrusting Coral (Montipora nodosus)
Montipora Branched Coral (Montipora digitata) Pink, Purple
Porites Coral Yellow (Porites spp.)
Color Tip Acropora Corals (Acropora spp.) All Colors
Hydnophora Horn Coral (Hydnophora sp.)
Encrusting Horn Coral (Hydnophora exesa) Cream
Pocillopora Cauliflower Coral (Pocillopora damicornis) Pink
Leaf Plate Montipora Coral (Montipora capricornis) Orange, Pink, Purple
Neon Acropora Corals (Acropora spp.) All Colors

I don't wish to paste in this post with all the names that I have in a number of word pads. Also, I need to begin now in this reading and research in the decision to which corals I would give in a printout to my LFS> For as well, I'm more and more with the kids and will not have all the time I once did for this research thing. So anything one can suggest of a type of coral, as well, I would also need to add here that I would love to have some rare type of coral many not have. I do pray that its understood in what im looking to do here

I was told by a few that 400 watts MH would do far great for SPS corals then 250 watts MH> Which has giving many their success on a thriving SPS tanks?

Thanks

Buddy

Hi BUddy, I can promise you that 400w haldies are not absolutely necessary for keeping a thriving sps coral collection. I have 250w halides and have more color than I have ever had in my years of keeping these corals. I am also using the 10k and further the reeflux brand. The colors are intense with this lighting. If your tank is not any deeper than 24" or so you do not need 400w'ers.

It is quite possible to maintain all corals under 250W metal halide lighting. For some of the higher light ones placement will be critical in order to keep the desired color.

On a side note, water clarity, flow, and nutrient control are just as important.

Regards,
Kevin

Sue is it, I know that not everyone do the same things or manages their tanks the same, which is why we all tend to get different results. That water currents are the main kicker with the 250 MH> All of this i would soon enough learn :D

I did know that if I had a 30" deep tank that 400 watts MH would surely been needed>

The tanks if I not mention are a 180 (6x2x2) and 240 (8x2x2)

Of course I know that that coral list most aren`t correct to some, its because I copied those names when I did do research on SPS corals.

Thanks You Sue :)

OOPS! i forgot this> I will be adding phosphate reactors at some later date, what are your thougths on those nitrate reactors, are they any good?

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about any of the phosphate reactors til the systems are up and running. With good water quality and husbandry your water should be fine for keeping sps corals. I do run a bag of phosphate in my sump passively but my system is much older. I would be more concerned with getting my calcium, alk and magnesium in line. Nitrates down.

On the tanks I had made a number of decisions on most of what I heard from others. And the decision is that, I will proceed to upgrade to stronger MH, 400 watts. Also being that on the 240 gal tank, that the sump on this tank is to be replaced with a more customized sump, that my plans are as well to add the miracle mud to the sump for its sand bed so that I not might need to remove the LR and sand bed in the tank itself to place one inch of the miracle mud under the aragonite sand. And on the 180, its a different story for I will have to have the guy remove everything to place a one inch or more of miracle mud. This idea comes from the thoughts of others who agree that a nitrate reactor is not a good functional able piece of equipment that what its designed for, it not totally helps in reducing nitrates.

So, for now, those be the first steps to go with the 400 watts MH and the miracle mud and one other issue came into thought from one other was that I should get the phosphate reactors at the start prior before stocking with any live stock begins.

Now I been reading up on corals and doing searches that I see that corals with many, their names are somewhat different. That SPS corals I see, many sites which sell these have a somewhat different name to their corals. Its like the fish, in general speaking, the eel. Most all the time for as long as I care to remember, either the shippers or both, the LFS people name the eels they get in as new arrivals a name to what coloration or close look a likes they might appear to look like. But bottom line is that the eels names, scientific and common names are all been becoming confusing for many. And now, im having this same type of difficulties with the coral.

I've never heard of miracle mud being used as a substrate, do you mean in the tank or sump?? I have used the mud on both of my tanks in the past. My 180g and my 120g. It is a great addition and I only started using a skimmer in the last year or so.

Last edited:
In either one, the tank or sump the miracle mud can go for im told by one who is keeping and selling corals for some 27 years and he says to have at least a 4" DSB .

IMO/IME Miracle Mud is not worth the cost for the benefit. I would just go with a 4"-5" DSB myself.

Chaetomorpha in the refugium/sump provides an excellent nitrate sink/reducer.

Regarding coral species names it's not really that important. As my friend Anthony says "form follows function". So if you see a coral with thin branches for example it does not come from a shallow high flow reef environment. The branches would be broken in the first surge. This does not mean it cannot be adapted to higher light/flow but it is not likely to have come from there.

Regards,
Kevin

Kevin, after viewing only a few photos in your gallery, I believe it works for yes, one thing is at a difference from your tanks. So again, I a minor change in those decisions to go with Chaetomorpha in the refugium and this might be that on the 180, that I might have to replace that sump as well so that I can have a refugium/sump.

I know that all kinds of ideas out there work for different people each person needs to find it which will work best for them, I will as well put this question to Rich that advised on this miracle mud and see what his thoughts be.

Kevin, it nothing to do in that I question your opinion for your tanks are thriving rather excellent for years, I only wish to cover all bases here. ;)

I made an error for I forget things at times and remember afterwards, for I did have it listed in my notes in word pad that I will have Chaetomorpha in the refugium, sorry for this note is back some few years ago and I forget any number of things any giving day :( from one day to the next. My LFS has this Chaetomorpha in their store displayed reef tanks>

What about this then, I use both?

Last edited:
I have used Miricale Mud without any problems I just didn't think that it was cost effective. I guess because of the name I was expecting something more :D

Regards,
Kevin

When discussing lighting, you really shouldn't forget about reflectors. If you have the room, I would strongly consider luminarc reflectors. They are the most efficent of all the reflectors at directing the light actually into the tank. If you have a system with a canopy, you will have a difficult time using these because they are HUGE (20X20 inches). If that isn't an option, sunlight supply sells lumenmax reflectors which are based off of the same engineering concepts.

IMO, I would look around at some pictures can give you an idea about stocking your tank. When you place corals into your tank, think about the overall esthetics that you are attempting to create. Don't forget about aquascaping, but think about the placement and growth patterns of the corals you are stocking. If you want a natural looking tank, it will take time, but the fewer the corals the better. Once they grow into the spaces that you create for them the tank will be STUNNING. I think that too many people overcrowd their tanks. I know that we are all guilty of this. After I said NO MORE, I find that I am still trying to find room for that jaw dropping frag that someone offers me. If you just want another tank with coral on top of coral the first year and a half will be great, but once they start to take off, alleopathy becomes a drag. There is always the chance of a coral that you really like dying because it has touched another.

IMO, I would look around at some pictures can give you an idea about stocking your tank. When you place corals into your tank, think about the overall esthetics that you are attempting to create. Don't forget about aquascaping, but think about the placement and growth patterns of the corals you are stocking. If you want a natural looking tank, it will take time, but the fewer the corals the better. Once they grow into the spaces that you create for them the tank will be STUNNING. I think that too many people overcrowd their tanks. I know that we are all guilty of this. After I said NO MORE, I find that I am still trying to find room for that jaw dropping frag that someone offers me. If you just want another tank with coral on top of coral the first year and a half will be great, but once they start to take off, alleopathy becomes a drag. There is always the chance of a coral that you really like dying because it has touched another.

Excellent Post! My thoughts exactly. Now if only I could drum up the willpower to follow that good advice :D

Regards,
Kevin

I am new here old man of the sea and I want to know why your english sounds strange? You say so many good things. Why are they hard to understand?

For you as many others said the same thing, so if you not understand it, then you not need to post any replies. Its funny however that I post it in the same way, the same question and one person even if his has to manage to understand knows what it is that im more looking for. I have a disability along with a possible serious health/physical problem that about two months ago I gone under surgery for the doctors to try and see it some relief they could give me from it. I this pressure that's surrounds my skull and it causes me thinking problems and more so when im to type.

So hopefully if any others feel this a problem for them to understand, then please don't concern yourselves about what the question(s) be, I will manage this with the few people who's replies are offering me answers to what im looking to do.

But to give it to you this in another way, im to begin in a number of months (fingers are crossed) my 180 and 240 gal tanks that SPS coral will dominate these tanks. I know many names of corals, but I also found that corals are very often misidentified and im being now again, return to my research into the corals that I will most likely have.

Also, I will not begin with these corals until I other live stock to age the tanks 5-6 months>

I'm looking for as well, corals that are far surpass in color(s) or corals which not many have>

My plans from the first thought of these tanks 11-12 years ago besides the SPS corals be that I will have clams with any number of cleaning crew, as well as a pair of dwarf eels in both tanks.

So with the above, if you still not understand anything, say nothing, go assist someone else, I will do OK>

Damsel13, and just so perhaps you would understand this better on my medical condition in question here, this post here took me one hour and 52 minutes to type out> Do have a good day :)

Besides, I heard that enough when I use to answer any and all eel questions, I no longer do and I still not need to hear on my crappy typing, I know of it ;)

Last edited:
Not everyone on this board is educated, free of disabilities, and/or a native english speaker. We're all coming form different backgrounds. I think that we should all try to remember this. Like Old Man of the Sea said, if you are having trouble following posts such as this, then maybe you shouldn't concern yourself with said posts. Damsel13, I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but merely posting this for others to take into consideration.

IM into some serious research for these Tanks SPS coral selections and im also open to any rare corals that I might be able to get later on. Of course, i will not be starting out with any of these SPS corals until after the 5th month.

I just put together in my word pad a number of pads that held a huge number of corals ETC. and had made one list from these and now as I said, im in search mode for these corals and I plenty of time to do it for the tanks aren`t as ready to begin any stocking.

So if any suggestions is to be helpful in my quest for these tanks.

Later im to upgrade certain items on my RO/DI unit. That I will add to it a booster bump that cost $200 and another carbon cartridge that will make my Hi-S a seven stage unit, counting the membrane.

People, I not mean to insult you on how one might comment because if you not understand my question, I do have much typing problems and this I understand for there are other ways if your one who can assist in this area that they ask for me to rather better explain myself on what it is im looking for, and not in the way it was said here>

Thanks, Buddy

Not everyone on this board is educated
that`s a matter of your own opinion, you not know my medical history or why im at a disadvantage due to my way of typing. In which is due to one of my medical problems that I think I explained enough times. The problem I have, I not wish it on any one and about two months ago, I gone under surgery to possibly get some relief from it and the surgery had failed.

Last edited:
Hello Buddy,
One thing I would recommend you consider is to select fewer corals and less rock than usually recommended. These are the most often comments I hear from experienced SPS Keepers "Too much rock and too many corals". Also I would not put in some of the easier to keep faster growing SPS corals such as Montipora digitata. It sounds like your interest lies in rare SPS corals. These are normally slower growing and less forgiving of swings in water parameters. There is no problem starting out with the harder corals if you are patient and maintain the correct environment for them.

Regards,
Kevin
PS:You are welcome to post in my forum. I believe I can understand you well enough :) If not I will ask for clarification.

Back