I need TV advice Please!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

plasma's only support a 720p at this time. the lcd supports a 1080P and new DLP's are starting to support 1080p but most are 1080i.

samsung is the only plasma so far that has 2 screen washer settings to help protect from screen burn. I have a 42 inch samsung plasma and without these features I would have been returning it already. The screen burn is rediculious.

I also bought a 56 inch toshiba DLP widescreen it only supports a 1080i, but most high def TV is broadcasted in 1080i so it if fine with the times. the real debate over 1080i/1080p is the war of high def dvd's. hd dvd vs. blu ray. hd dvd right now is 1080i the only thing right now in 1080p is the blu ray some things will be switching in the future. and for $1000 extra it can wait till you will use it on a more regular basis.

I would ask about screen burn protection, resolution,warrenty-protection plan, inputs (hdmi cables for best picture, and vga if you want to hook it up to your pc) choose something that is best quality with not so bad of a price. I really like the DLP more than than plasma, looking at lcd but too pricey.

Spot on D...and on the Blu-ray front, if I'm not mistaken...the PS3 is about the most cost effective way to watch it...and it looks amazing...even in my "upconverted" 1080p DLP. The new Samsung DLP's over 50" are 1080p FWIW.

Well its going to be awhile till I buy another tv, I have been looking at the DLP front projection models. over 100" of TV . I think I may go that route and turn my spare bedroom to a Viewing room. I was over at a guys house in phoenix and he had one. Man was it sweet, the only drawback I saw was the room had to be dark. But I watch it that way anyway.

Okay i almost had my mind made up but now i'm confused again. I need help!

Okay i am now looking into plasmas over LCDs. I am worried though about burn in. We love to pause videos and what not so is that almost guaranteed that i am going to ruin my plasma by doing this?

I was looking at sams club and costco since they seem to be the cheapest anywhere that i've looked. Here are the TVs i was interested in.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=337469

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11200281&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&N=4001381&Mo=19&pos=0&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=3314&Ns=P_Price|0||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&ec=&topnav=

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11200279&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&N=4001382&Mo=26&pos=1&No=8&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=3316&Ns=P_Price|0||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&ec=&topnav=

What do you guys think?

Thats wierd? The links won't work for Costco?

Well if you go to www.Costco.com and click on electronics and then click on TVs i am looking at bith Plasma and LCD. Both TVs are by Vizio and the LCD is a 32" and the Plasma is a 42". Take a look and let me know.

Unless you spend ALOT of dough on the sets mentioned earlier...burn in is inevitable with a plasma if you consistently watch the same thing.

The Vizio VP42 won PC Magazines Editor's Choice pick.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2096085,00.asp

I also looked at the Philips and thought the Vizio had a much better picture. It's brightness was definitely better.

If you are worried about burn in then LCD is the way to go. Honestly I would not be worried about burn in. If within the first 100 or so hours of use if you keep the levels of phosphorous even then there is nothing to worry about. Also, there is a difference between IR (Image Retention) and actually burn in. Image Retention you can reverse.

Well i am a wuss and i think that the LCD is the way to go for me. Its just safer. Maybe if i knew someone that had one and could basically come over and show me how to do everything i would try a plasma but since i don't know anyone i think i am just going to go LCD i mean i know they aren't as good as a plasma but i also know that htey aren't a POS either.

I guess i still may consider a plasma but no matter what i am going with a Vizio. I liked both of their types of TVs and the price is workable so.......man am i confused.

Thanks to everyone and i'll let you know what i end up doing.

I don't think you can lose going with the 37" LCD Vizio.... sounds like it'd do what you want and within your budget.

A plasma is not that hard of a t.v to take care of. The biggest thing about the plasma is dont leave the thing on pause for hours upon hours at a time. Or keep it on the news channel with the little ticker on the bottom and not change the channel.. But at the end of the day your paying for it so good luck man..

Yeah I mentioned that to him..... so far I don't have any burn in or image retention on mine.

Brady - did you break your plasma in? i've read differeing opinions on that.

Matt

With the brightness levels and stuff... I did for a few days and that was about it :) I dont remember how long it said to do it. What kind is yours??

I went with the Vizio 42" Plasma. My next purchase is trying to get a nice surround sound system put together.

Yeah we looked at the 60" model.... man it's a big TV! It's way too big for the space we are using as our TV room.

I'm really impressed with Vizio thus far that we bought. It's a budget TV that has quite a few features, a good in-home warranty, and an excellent picture. The only negative I've found is the cheap remote they include but then again I'm not using it anyway. On the AVSForum.com there has been a few negatives on the Vizio's but I'm sure we could find that on just about any TV.

What are you using for surround sound?

Back