I need TV advice Please!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

not sure what the budget is...but take a look at Onkyo receivers...I have 6.1 and no complaints...also using Infinity speakers. I like them ALOT...also Polk makes a good speaker.

Well last night i spent almost two hours looking at 3 Vizios. 2 were LCD and One was Plasma. Now the reason i was there for two hours was because the replay the same footage every 20 minutes or so. So i would watch each TV and figure which one i liked best. Now the reason i watched the 2 LCDs was because one was a 32" adn the other was a 37". What i would do is pace my self back from the tv to simulate how far the TV would be away from me if i was sitting in bed watching TV. I have to say that i really didn't see a huge difference between Vizio Plasma and Vizio LCD but i liked the LCD a little more. Plus the smallest VIzio Plasma was a 42" which is too big for the wall we are going to mount it on anyways. So that narrowed my search down to a 37 or a 32.

Now like i said earlier i stood far enough away to simulate being in bed for both TVs and both were just as easy to see so i decided that for the extra two hundred dollars i want the 37". I figured i spend that much on two trips to the LFS so i will just skip going for a while.

I was going to buy it last night but i wanted my Fiance to see and see if she liked it. I know she will but sometimes we don't agree on things. But hopefully today we will get it and have it hooked up by tonight.

Quick question for you Matt did you mount your tv on the wall? if so did you buy the mount from Costco or from the vizio website? I only ask because Costco only offers one mount in the store and the display model doesn't look like it will work? Do you know if those things are universal or anything? It says it mounts TVs from 22"-42" TVs so it should work right? Only downfall i have with Costco is no one is there to help if you have any questions.

No I didn't use the wall mount.... mine is on our entertainment center.

Really your costco doesnt' have anyone to help? Our electronics department has 2 - 3 people every time I go to answer questions.

not sure what the budget is...but take a look at Onkyo receivers...I have 6.1 and no complaints...also using Infinity speakers. I like them ALOT...also Polk makes a good speaker.

Yeah I was reading reviews on the Onkyo receivers. Thanks!

Nobody was even there to ask a question at my Costco. It doesn't really matter because i can just order it off of the Vizio website but i was just curious.

Its official we are getting the 37" and we are picking it up today. I might stop by best buy though and just pick of the wall mount from there.

i thought the mounts were for any of those t.v.s because the husband was thinking about mounting it... but not to sure.

that's awesome you're getting the 37" :D .

Thanks again everybody for everything. I will hopefully be watching TV tonight or tommorow on my brand new LCD!! woohoo!!

Onkyo receivers are very great, I love mine! You can push them hard & won't blow up like all the Sony's I've had LOL!

I thought plasma 50 & beyond you can get true 1080i & the 40's just what they say 1080i but really a compressed version? Panasonic claims 60K hours on their plasmas & burn in is less than any other manufacturer on the market. At 8 hours a day 60k hours would be 20 years, & I don't watch 8 hours a day, even if I watched 4 hours a day & the set lasted 15 good years It would be worth the price of a quality plasma, also by then I will want something new anyways right? I know I've read about them for the last two years running rating very high in comparison to the pioneers.

well i got it and its frickin AWESOME!! The mount though that i bought isn't big enough even though it says up to a 40" TV. Anyways the cable company is coming out Monday to hook up the HD cble box and hopefully all will go smoothly.

One question though about the mount. It says to center the mount over a stud. In order for me to put this TV where it needs to go the studs are not centered to the location at all. They are either to the way left or to the way right. THe TV and the mount only weigh 44lbs so i was thinking of just drilling into the drywall and not worrying about the stud. Do you think that will be a problem? I mean i have these inserts that you drill into the drywall that say they can hold up to 100lbs soi would imagin that four of them should be able to hold up a 44lb TV right?

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT DO THAT MAN. Unless you want your t.v in pieces ya know.. Make sure you find the studs or just get a stand for it...OOOhh do you have direct tv??? If so make sure you get the hd channels they are great!!!!

Well i asked one of the guys at best buy and he said the same thing so we went and chose a bigger mount and it was able to get tied into two studs so the tz is solid as a rock! It looks really awesome too!! Today the cable company comes out and hooks up our HD DVR box!! I can't wait. I was playing PS2 on it over the weekend and it was great!

hey Brady - how is DirecTV with HD? (assuming that is what you have) How many channels are actually in HD? are your locals?

Mattseattle

Yes i have direct t.v hd and im very happy with it. I think we have 13 hd channels give or take :) with the main one being ESPN :). We have NBC,ABC,FOX,CBS, Discovery,Hbo,Show,Espn2,Tnt,Hd movies, and some others...

I was asking Brady unless you have DirecTV and use their HD DVR? :) you are going with cable correct?

I'm just seeing if DirecTV has a better HD offering than Comcast but it doesn't look like they do.

Hey Shallowreef - did you get your new cable yesterday? what cables did you use to hook it up to your new TV?

Nope i dont have the dvr... The only reason i got the direct t.v is for the nfl package, Mlb baseball package, and the college basketball march madness package..Im a sports nut for sure :) I counted the hd channels and we have 15..

Back