I think I am not meant to be a hobbyist

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Pickles

meow
So...when I started this whole salt water adventure, I was SUPER excited. Sadly, that excitment has been overtaken by one thing after another. First was the brown algea problem. I totally inderstand that its a part of the cycle, I just was not prepared for it. So there is that going on in my tank. Here I thought I would have this beautiful tank to show off and all I have is a tone a brown stuff. Then there is frusteration of conflicting stories/suggestions/methods. I think I am the type who needs structure, black and white. Then there is the biggest issue. I think my fish has ich. You know, white spots all over, started on his tail and are now everywhere. From what I have read, there does not seem to be an easy/practical solution. So here I have spent $1500 and I am ready to quit. Do any other new "hobbyists" go through this? I am feeling as though its a BIG pain in my you know what rather than a hobby. Maybe I am just looking for someone to feel sorry for me, or maybe someone to tell me to tough it out. :( :confused: :cry:

"Education is expensive. If it hasn't been expensive, you haven't been educated."

Often the expense is in time and pain. Few learn this hobby by osmosis and even fewer are incident free. This is a skilled hobby with much more work getting to stability than maintaining it. Stick in there and soon you will be looking at a Heath happy beautiful reef tank

i'll be the one to tell you to tough it out. it is very easy to get caught up in the beauty of a saltwater tank and get a little ahead of yourself. you need to take a step back and think about what you are going to do to save that fishes life.if you live any where close to seattle i will treat your fish for you. or i could help you treat it your self. it is allways pretty easy to find friends near you to help. and in any hobby never look at the money spent because that is allways a downer. i have spent many many thousands on this hobby i also have a 10,000 dollar 67 mustang in a garage that i didn't even drive this summer. some people would say that is stupid but when i sit and look at my tank or my car i feel it is worth every penny.

First off this is not an easy hobby and there are many ups and downs. What your going through is the same for most that are just startinging out. Most of the time its just lack of understanding what the hobby is all about. People jump in with both feet want what someone else has with no knowlege of how they got it. Keeping a reef is not like keeping a dog or gold fish. There is a little bit of science and reasoning involved. You will never have what your seeing in other peoples tanks until you slow down and learn how your tank works. Once you know how it works you will be able to make it you want. It does get alot easier once you know whats going on in your box of water.

Don

As has been mentioned, you're going through what a lot or most of us have gone through. This hobby does entail a large learning curve. It requires a lot of patience. Do A LOT of reading!!! Books and these great forums. Bob Fenner's "A Conscientious Marine Aquarist" is a great book to start with. IMO every SW aquarist should own it. I've read mine more than once.

You will get a lot of conflicting information about what works and doesn't work. This isn't a hobby consisting of black and whites, although there are some black and white fish...lol. There are several methods used that work. However, there are also methods that can lead to more work and hassles. Learning about those methods, the pros and cons of each, can go a long way towards making your experience a lot easier. Here's a simple example...

I started out my first tank with Crushed Coral substrate. Unfortunately, I hadn't researched it enough to read all the CONS against CC. It can cause more algae problems than a soft sand substrate. Hence, I ended up with some algae issues. The CC wasn't the only reason for the algae, as I learned. Took me awhile to figure it all out, and I'm still figuring it out...as are we all. Don't give up just yet!!! You'll get there.

i'll be the one to tell you to tough it out. it is very easy to get caught up in the beauty of a saltwater tank and get a little ahead of yourself. you need to take a step back and think about what you are going to do to save that fishes life.if you live any where close to seattle i will treat your fish for you. or i could help you treat it your self. it is allways pretty easy to find friends near you to help. and in any hobby never look at the money spent because that is allways a downer. i have spent many many thousands on this hobby i also have a 10,000 dollar 67 mustang in a garage that i didn't even drive this summer. some people would say that is stupid but when i sit and look at my tank or my car i feel it is worth every penny.

Sadly, I am not near seattle. The strange thing is, this morning, the white stuff was gone.

The life cycle of Ich will make it appear that it comes and goes. It's NOT gone. As mentioned on your newest thread about sand sticking to fish, it'd be a good idea to keep all your threads together in one thread. That way you're getting all your answers in one place, not missing vital information AND people only have to respond to 1 thread, instead of several. Also, you were provided with LOTS of reading material regarding Ich, have you read it? If you have, you should have read about the life cycle and how the white spots will appear to come and go.

There are probably very if nay one out there who hasn't spent thousands on this adventure. And will probably spend more in the future. There is a HUGE learning curve to this hobby. And yes you will have a gorgeous piece of the ocean to stare at some day, maybe it will 6 months, a year maybe 2 years. I spent more money that I want to think about when I started, and then had to spend more because I really didn't know what I was doing and was in a hurry to see my rewards of my hard work and money spent. It is now 2.5 years later and except for water changes my tank pretty much is self efficient Clean the glass every day and weekly water changes is about it. My reef is a very mixed 75. I have even built my own sump, water chance system so I do not have to lug any water. When I started those projects were so far down the road that I didn't even know they existed. But as your tank matures and understand it's workings, you have more time to tweak and improve it. Tackle you problems one at a time, starting with you ick issue, do it before your tank is full of corals. The brown bloom should go away on its own. Start by telling us everything you can about your set up and what you have and how and what you have added.

Like others have stated, we have all been there! I got ich in my tank after I had stocked it with several big fish and had to scramble to find a big enough QT to treat. I still haven't forgiven myself as I lost my Copperband Butterfly in the ich outbreak and I had spent a lot of time training it to eat!

I second "Bob Fenner's "A Conscientious Marine Aquarist" is a great book to start with" I did not get this until 2 years into the hobby and it made so many things click. I kept thinking "Boy I wish I would have read this sooner" The hardback is pretty expensive, the paperback not so bad, but worth it's weight in gold!

Hang in there, those beautiful tanks you see were not easy.

Hang in there

Try to hang in there.. Im new too and going through the normal brown in the tank as well and the typical newbie
things. Im sure my LFS thinks Im a lunatic asking so much!
Had a bad fish day today, lost my gobie. Found it on the floor all dried up. Its been so cute and happy seeming..
coming out to gobble up shrimp... its hard, my tank has a tight lid.. you think your doing everything okay.. set backs happen.
A better day will come. :)

I have enjoyed seeing other members tanks and comparing notes. I have visited as many clubs as possible in Washington.

I ask you to hang in there, ask a lot of questions. We love this hobby too much to sit back and watch you fall.

Hang in There!!
Ed:)
Kennewick, Wa.

Just take a deep breath, we have all gone threw it. It just takes time and you have to give it time. Don’t do anything to extremes and only do one thing at a time so you know what difference it made, good or bad. When you start seeing all the life developing in the tank that you did not even know was there to grow you will stop trying to compare your tank with someone that has one “better”. There is no black and white, only lots of gray areas and rules of thumb. What’s best for your tank is not best for the other person’s tank. New tanks will just take time that there is no way around it… Stick with it you will be reworded.

there are lots of spokane area reefers on here. i think there is even a spokane area club. im sure someone will offer help

Loohunter's absolutely right!! There's lots of us here in Spokane area who have been exactly where you are and are more than willing to help you out!! We also have the Spokane Reef Society. There's also a couple great LFS in the area who have a lot of experience in Salt Water tanks and are very helpful!! Just don't give up. You'll get there, just as the rest of us do.

Pickles,
You are 150 miles away from Tri-Cities. Spokane has a really good club. I think I have talked to you before. Email me if we have. If not you can yahoo me at thirty3nthird on messenger. I will do my best to prevent you from making mistakes. I am busy until about 7pm Tuesdays and Thursdays. But if you are patient I will do my best to help you.

Ed

Just take a deep breath, we have all gone threw it. It just takes time and you have to give it time. Don’t do anything to extremes and only do one thing at a time so you know what difference it made, good or bad. When you start seeing all the life developing in the tank that you did not even know was there to grow you will stop trying to compare your tank with someone that has one “better”. There is no black and white, only lots of gray areas and rules of thumb. What’s best for your tank is not best for the other person’s tank. New tanks will just take time that there is no way around it… Stick with it you will be reworded.

Thanks, its just so frustrating.

I would like to join in with the others... /stands on soap box

"I am a marine aquarium addict".../crys

ok seriously ... I feel your pain... I too have gone through the marine tank blues ... really its a matter of sticking to your tank maintenance schedule.. and waiting.

Seriously you have come too far to turn back now. The rewards (Like above said) will come ...

There is a lot of great resources here on reef frontiers... I use this site like a learning tool...and its helped me come very far...

Dont worry also... you could have gone through what I did... Blankets of Cyano all over my sand bed, refugeium, and rocks... talk about a nightmare...=) (my fault to).

anyway... stick with reef frontiers and these guys will help you through this.

Do pickup the book: Water Chemistry for marine aquariums ... www.barronseduc.com has it. Good book for newbies to chemistry.

Helped me out.

Back