I think this will be my new sump/refugium.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

it is definatly cheap i'll give them that, but it is also very entry level equipment. the skimmer is prob just a toy. would prob work on a 55 gallon....

Sorry for the lack of details. My tank is a 29 gallon tall. I have posted here so much over the last few weeks that I forget not everyone knows the details of my tank. Lol... Sorry about that.

I agree the skimmer is not really much, overall very small volume.
You could do better with a little diy.
How big is the system you plan to use it on?

I was going to use a DIY 10 gallon but this seems like more volume if not the same. Any thoughts?

If you swapped out the skimmer (because I kinda agree with Matt and Martin), then it looks like a pretty good setup for a 29 gal. The sump itself will hold about 18 gals of water going by the dimensions. JMO :)

I was think even more diy.
Like picking up another tank like a 20 or even a 29. I picked up a new 29 for $50.
There are a few needlewheel skimmers for small tanks (better than the coralife ss) that are suppose to be pretty good.
You can always find overflows for cheap.
A few glass baffles, a clamp on light and Home Depot bulb and you'd have alot better sump/refugium.
But it takes a little work.

I am limited on space underneath my stand. I will do some measuring and some investigating. Anyone know the dimensions of a 10/15 gallon?

A standard 10gal should be 20 long by 10 wide by 12 high. A standard 15gal should be about 24 long by 12 wide by 12 high :)

So in theory a 15 gallon and this sump are identical?

Pretty much. Maybe try pricing the overflow, a better skimmer that will fit, a return pump and a small light fixture (if you want to go with a fuge) and see which one is a better choice. The most work you will have to do is either have someone cut and silicone in the baffles for you or you can just do it yourself. If your not up to that, then just buy the package in the link and see how it goes. If the skimmer really sucks, then swap it out when you can. :)

I am torn on what I am going to do

Guess I will edit too :p I bought my first sump (all in one) then after that had all of mine custom built to my specs. I preferred the custom ones, but not always as easy for others. Think about it a bit more and try not to rush things as you will probably regret it :)

Last edited:
My biggest thing with a DIY system is that the pump alone will cost me 130 and this has a skimmer. I know the skimmer will most likely be near junk but it may not. I have figured a DIY system will cost;

40 - tank
20 - misc seperators and silicone
50 - fuge light
130 - return pump
45 - surface skimmer/overflow box
125 - (what i have already paid for) skimmer

I was making a DIY sump "worksheet" of all the parts I wanted to use and that is what the result was. It was several different websites and my local LFS. So close to best price possible.

Back