I think this will be my new sump/refugium.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

All I am doing is going from a surface skimmer to a sump and back up. You also have a 600 GPH pump so that might be the best for me. I just won't restrict it but restrict the down flow from the surface skimmer to compensate for the lack of flow back up. That is what I am shooting for. Now I am sounding better. Lol... It's been a long day.

3 90's so I will come up from the pump with a black rubber hose into PVC. My first 90 will be going over the lip and then the second down into the tank. Last but not least the third 90 will be 1 to 2 inches into the tank to direct flow.

Gen-X 4100 Pump 1085 GPH I would put a valve to control flow that way it wouldn't have to work so hard. Seems like a good one.

Wow that way more pump than you need.
You were talking about a overflow that was rated for 600gph. You really need to look at something that will give the flow of about 400 or less.
Why spend money than needed ?

Maybe I am confused. The surface skimmer that I have chosen flows 600. I am guessing that I would turn down the flow from the surface skimmer?

I would flow the 600 GPH through the tank easily. I love flow. Lol

I am actually dealing with the same situation as at the moment. I am using a 20g high tank (which i already had) for the sump. I do also already have the skimmer and a light.

I have had to purchase:

- $13 for a 28" by 30" sheet of acrylic for baffles (lowes) (i used a saw that is hand held and holds a hack saw blade)
- $4 aquarium silicone (im sure there is something else i could have used but that was a safe bet) (lowes)
- $50 for 700gph return pump (my lfs the shark reef)
- $15-20 I am figuring about for misc. plumbing pieces (lowes)
- $64 (after shipping) for eshopps 800gph rated hob overflow (amazon.com believe it or not..)

I've spent roughly $150 on everything. Honestly it hasn't been to tough either, the hardest part was installing the baffles as it was my first real attempt at using silicone. (yea yea yea, silicone virgin....)

Last edited:
Maybe I am confused. The surface skimmer that I have chosen flows 600. I am guessing that I would turn down the flow from the surface skimmer?

I would flow the 600 GPH through the tank easily. I love flow. Lol

If I'm understanding what you are saying correctly is that the overflow you bought is rated for 600 gph? If so, once your pump doesn't exceed the 600 gph, you will be fine. If it does, then you will have to put a ball valve on the output (not suction) of the pump and control the flow there. If the pump is less than the 600 gph, then you are fine and don't have to adjust anything as the over will only drain water at the rate the return pump pumps water into the tank so if your return pump pushes say 400 gph of flow at the tank, then your 600 gph overflow will only drain water at 400gph eventhough it is rated for more. Hope that answered your question :p

You don't want to push the limits of a overflow. You want to have a little safety margine.
If you are at the max capascity and a little algae, uneaten food, air build up, etc. builds up you can have a overflow.

Don't try and get tank flow, with a return pump. There are several other options that are much better.

I want flow from the sump just mainly for the turn over. Isn't it better to have more turnover in a tank? I know powerheads create the flow needed to keep debris from settling but don't you want total water volume circulating through the sump fairly high?

Yea, to an extent you want a good turnover rate. Some debate too fast a turnover rate, the more waste will pass right by your skimmer and back into the tank, but who knows. (LOL). I think you will be fine man as is. :)

Tre like you said maybe u like to have one that a lil more, u can adjust if need to. From sump to you tank you will loose h.p. Like a 900 gph it might be fine.

i think you could do better for less...

a 20g tank an overflow.. some cheap lights...

that setup looks cool... very clean and cut nice black design...
but i think you can get better for about half that price.

craigslist is a good place to look. sometimes the tanks are garbage, but there are a lot of gems there. That setup looks good to go though, how is your current filtration going?

Back