I want your majanos

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reedman

Yes you read the title correctly. If you have majanos that you want out of your tank and you can remove them (either take a rock out and I will give it back clean or as "frags") I will take them. My butterfly seems to love them, but I am all out.

Thanks,
-Reed

As Johnny C. said "If the glove don't fit...."

Do majanos "clump" together?
And do they sometimes have phosphorescent tips?

(The pictures I see of majanos usually look like aptasia--w/thin tentacles)

The little guys I have in my tank have fat, stubby tentacles and not much of an oral disc....(but they're still pretty small so maybe I just can't see it.)

I'll try to get a pict of them tonight--If they are majanos--then you can have em! (before they start to spread!!)
I've got 3 clumps of them on 1 small dinner-roll sized rock (right on top--won't even need to fuss with my rockwork...)

If you post a pic I'm sure we can id them for you.

Thanks!

Here's some pics.

(I hope that they're not majones--they do seem to growing directly from the tips of the coral skeleton around them--well at least from the tips not covered in pink coraline...) ;)

(For size reference, the black square in the backgound of the first pic is my 4' mag-float..)

Last edited:
I'm not thinking those are majanos....at least not what I am used to seeing. They look more like coral polyps to me.

I guess that's good for me:) , but bad for your butterfly! :|

I'd offer up my aiptasia as food (lord knows I have few of those!):oops:

But they're all on a single +20# piece of rock--the same rock that houses a HUGE LTA (and my GSM clowns too....)

I've got a brother-in-law with a whole tank full of nuisance anenomes (probably majonos)...
but he's down in Oregon--so not a very viable food source...:doubt:

well, I have a mojano on a rock in my QT you can have! and about 500+ aiptasia in my display...so far the peppermint shrimp are not taking a liking to them. :rolleyes: I am a bit far for you but if you come to Kitsap to go to an LFS or two, you can always stop by and we can harvest some! :D

Here's some pics.

(I hope that they're not majones--they do seem to growing directly from the tips of the coral skeleton around them--well at least from the tips not covered in pink coraline...) ;)

(For size reference, the black square in the backgound of the first pic is my 4' mag-float..)

Is that maybe a galaxea coral?

hmmm hydroids??
Here's some pics.

Is that maybe a galaxea coral?

If galaxea build skeletons, then I think thekingfish hit it on the head!

(I bought the whole reef used, after many of the corals had crashed, so sometimes I feel like an archelogist/CSI when looking through the tank....)

But based on the WTT/FS posts i saw for galaxia--it looks like the last remamnents of a mother colony--what was once probably a great base-ball-sized globe (but now just the 3 polyps left...)

Hopefully I can return it to it's former glory!
(anybody have any good advice/threads on galaxia/galaxea....)

Hey Reed

I know a couple with an entire tank covered in them but they live in Anacortes. Probably would have to go up there and get the rocks.

best

you still on the hunt? I have some that I do not want to introduce into my new 180. There are some corals that would have to go to. I will try to get a pic posted for you. mostly softies and about 15-25 lbs of rock. we can work something out I do not want to deal with these little buggers in my new system.

I do still want majanos, but i have no interest in corals at this point. I simply don't have the equipment to keep them alive. I appreciate the thought, but if you are offering to sell LR with majanos/corals on it to me I would have to decline, but thanks.

Back