Ich? or zapped by anemone?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

muss60

Grumpy (our bangai cardinal) always hangs around way too close to the anemone (he's jealous of the nemo's, ha ha);
anyway, he has a whitish spot just below his lip and I'm not sure if it's ich or damage from getting too close to the anemone (you should see what it did to our starfish that fell into it, poor thing). Anyway, I attached two pics of it (I apologize for the poor qualify, haven't purchased my new digital camera yet); appreciate any help....

I should add that our water is testing fine for Ph, Alk, salinity; nitrates and nitrites are good too.

I'm no "ich" expert by far, but I wouldn't think the lip would be the first place "ich" would pop up first, but I could be wrong. SteveS would be the best person to talk to in any event and I'll see if I can get him to chime in here:)

Good luck!

Doesn't look like ich. Ich looks more like some took a slat shaker to the fish. This looks more like some sort of fungus infection. Not sure what kind of what the treatment would be. From the pictures it sort of looks like a small cotton ball on the lower lip. Is this correct and is that what it looks like in person?

Thank you for the quick response. It does look somewhat like a piece of fuzz or cotton ball; is it possible that the anemone caused this? Like I said earlier, he's always hanging around that thing so close; we thought it was funny up to until now!

Thanks again for your help

The chances of the anenome causing this it unlikely. Have you added any new items to the tank recently? Fungus from what I understand can also be caused by poor water quality etc.

You say your water params are good. But I have to ask what test kits are you using along with what are the current values.

But since this looks like it's a fungus of some sort the treatment is going to be removing the fish from the display and placing it in QT for treatment with a funguscide (SP?). Which one I'm not sure so hopefully Steve-s will chime in here.

I'm using the seachem test kit for nitrates (20) and nitrite (.1); the ph is at 8.2 and alkalinity is at 2.2 which is normal right? Calcium is 450.

I use the Red Sea for the calcium and PH/alk tests.

We also bring in our water at Peter's Reef Pond in Sudbury and their tests are showing same results.

oh, and most recent new item was a pulsating xenia (about a month ago)

I'm using the seachem test kit for nitrates (20) and nitrite (.1); the ph is at 8.2 and alkalinity is at 2.2 which is normal right? Calcium is 450.

I use the Red Sea for the calcium and PH/alk tests.

We also bring in our water at Peter's Reef Pond in Sudbury and their tests are showing same results.

How old is the tank? You're Nitrites and Nitrates should be 0. AlK seems a little low also, it should be between 3-4. your Calc looks fine but it out of balance compared to you Alk. Not sure about the SeaChem test kits, never used them but the Red Sea/Tetra/Fasttest are usually not all that accurate. I'd recommend getting a higher quality test kit form them. Most, Like myslef will recommend Slaifert test kits.

Also what does your filteration look like? Do you have Live Rock? Sand bed/Bare Bottom, Skimmer/No Skimmer. Just trying to understand your setup.

Do some water changes and get the nitrates down.

i agree with James..it is hard to tell, but it looks like a fungal infection....did you qt your new coral????

The tank is a year old now; will pick up a Slaifert test kit next week, thanks for the suggestion. I forget the name of the filters but we have the two that are in the tank; and have a skimmer; it's a sand bed and yes, we have live rock. We do regular water changes every 2 weeks but we'll do them every week and get those nitrates down.

We don't have a qt for new things we add to the tank; I know that's a huge risk but we just have the one tank at this time; this whole hobby is a huge risk; but we're so hooked how, it's like a drug, we can't stop! Need to invest more into it and get a QT; all good things in time right?

Thanks again for your help folks! This site is awesome for that.

Have a good rest of the weekend.

Bacterial infections often "appear" as fungal problems but rarely are. Given this fish's penchant for fighting and the very reflective angle it's hovering in, it's probably an infection from running up against the glass too often.

Try to put a book or something that will prevent a reflection in that area. I would then begin a series of large water changes with well aged SW. The infection will only get worse with nitrates at that level. The low alkalinity will get a needed boost as well unless your using a salt like Kent or Oceanic. While your doing that, get a QT set up and ready to go. Chances are pretty good you may need to treat the fish with an antibiotic. There a reasonable chance the reduced DOC level (through repeated water changes) may be enough for the infection to abate on it's own but given it's around the mouth I would err on the side of caution and not wait on it.

Thanks again all - grumpy definitely bumps himself into the glass constantly and especially in one specific area; will try your idea. We'll try to get him help... can't thank you enough for the suggestions.

:badgrin: now you will have to rename him bumpy grumpy :lol: cracked myself up.
Seriously I hope Grumpy's lip clears up in a hurry.

Deb

My girls beat you to it; bumpy grumpy is his new name. covered the glass area where he'd constantly bump himself into and he seems to have stopped; might do the trick (along with everything else); remain hopeful.

Males are extremely territorial and will fight with their own reflection constantly. Wrasses and tangs will do it occasionally as well but nothing severe. Bangaii's are the main ones that will actually kill themselves in the process.

Our nitrates are down to 10!!!!! Water changes are helping. I was told to put our bangai cardinal in fresh water (same temp) for no longer than 5 minutes; that the fresh water would kill the infection - not recommended for all fish; but bangai's apparently do well this this treatment.

I've never heard of this........ has anyone else?

Back