Ichthys 150 Reef Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Everything is looking good coming along great. How is your protien skimmer build going? Have you had time to start that project yet?

hmm so i discovered something valuable this morning. The 150 build doesnt progress much when i sit here browsing RF all morning... damn reef elves were supposed to run new electrical last night while i was alseep, now i have to do it. Should i turn off the main power to the house before installing a new breaker? this should be fun, if you hear a loud bang coming from federal way there will be some reef equipment available cheap once my wife buries me lol.

Unless you do it alot i would cut power no need to take a chance working in the box. Now stop reading and GET IT ON!

Very productive day on the build. So in last week got canopy back from Peppie, have started the Wipe on Poly applications, am shooting for 4 coats sanding between each, got #2 done today. Finished electrical, am very happy with it, I have a dedicated 20 Amp breaker going to a 4 outlet wallplug which will run the tank. Also created my first acrylic project today, built a simple little heater holder, its simple but it was fun and I figured start small to learn how to work with acrylic.
Equipment starts arriving Monday with Hammerhead, OBD Skimmer, and LED's all supposed to arrive by Friday. Its coming together,, pics tomorrow when i have time.

So just a few pics to show some progress, trying to keep up with Lorrie lol.
First few are the stand, we decided seeing as the plumbing went out the rear of the stand into the fish room and the from 3/4 ths of the stand were vacant, why not utilize the space, so we installed a bookcase system. Unfortunately the better half has already cluttered it up with Dr, Pepper. Am hoping it doesn't become a catch all junk shelf.
bedroom016_zps9ac89671.jpg

bedroom020_zpsb6727b9b.jpg

Next up is the canopy. The canopy doors are finished, I just cant find the right hinges to replace the ones i took off. Both the canopy and stand were stripped and sanded down to bare wood and then given 4 coats of MinWax Wipe on Poly, using steel wool between applications. The piece on top is a facade that is intended to cover up the light holes. There are two large rectangles cut in the top piece where the two LED fixtures will go, they will poke out the top an inch, this will allow the lenses to be 12 inches off the water. The facade is meant to cover the fixtures sticking out the top.
bedroom022_zps211f8a44.jpg

bedroom021_zpsc93f3adf.jpg

Last up tonight is a pic of the little heater holder I built. Its simple and primitive, but hey it was my first attempt into working with acrylic.
bedroom025_zpse57047ee.jpg

bedroom026_zpsfede783a.jpg

Man, You have been busy.
It is so nice to see it all come together.
You did a great job on refinishing your stand and canopy. Cant wait to see it with the doors on.
The bookshelf under the tank is much better to look at than just doors.
From the looks of your heater holders it seem you are ready to make a couple of sock holders next.
Keep up the good work.

BTW , Dont hurry just because Lorie has 5 more gals of water in her tank than you do!! LOL

This arrived today, its like Christmas, everyday I come home there are packages. The UPS guy must hate me. I really dont get this pump, it appears brand new, the auction listed it as "New with warranty without original box". It appears to run flawlessly, quiet, strong, looks new, came with second impellar and all for 250! List price is close to 500 i think. Seems to good to be true.
001_zps334f82f3.jpg

Looks like you are getting ready to set up a NANO:) Wish i would of invested in PVC stock when i was younger instead of PCP.......LOL jk
That is a great center piece soft coral you have one of my favs!

Nano

Looks like you are getting ready to set up a NANO:) Wish i would of invested in PVC stock when i was younger instead of PCP.......LOL jk
That is a great center piece soft coral you have one of my favs!

Exactly! The main DT is a Mr. Aqua 11 Gallon and I have a 5 gallon sump. Total flow including return pump, closed loop, and 2 Tunze 6105's will be 15,000 GPH so I will turn over total volume 1,500 times per hour. Think I have enough flow!

Picked up some more goodies! Have to get busy now.
Awesome Skimmer from Oceans By Design. Great quality and incredible customer service. Another A+ Experience.
006_zps9692a9a0.jpg

Back