Ick....any suggestions?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tatert5

Having some ick problems....newest additions the powder brown and regal are the ones that stressed and got it. Brown got it really bad and hasn't been seen for a few days...most likely dead.

I have been feeding them food I made with garlic as well as dosing with Marine Max...probiotic/antioxidant. Others seem to be improving, but just wondered if anyone had some thoughts they could share.

Thanks, Kevin

You know, believe it or not, I have only had one fish that had ich...A little blue tang I caught. It seems as though tangs are famous for it. What I did with him was just removed him from my tank and put him back into the ocean. I'm not too much for chemicals and figured he'd recover better there. I don't know if maybe some stress coat may help or some blue holdex. In addition, what I normally do when adding fish, is leave the lights off for the most part of the day and try not to approach the tank too much and frighten them. This may not be an option for you though as you may have some corals etc. in your tank that will need the light. I've also heard or read somewhere (if I remeber correctly)that if you lower your salinity when introducing new fish ( to about 1.020) helps with the transition (but don't quote me on that as it may be wrong). That too may not be an option for you anyway if your tank is already established and lowering the salinity may affect your other inhabitants. I've done it though because I've never had anything more than just a few small fish and some LR. Nevertheless, I've never had ich in my tank except for that one tang. I hope you get them cured Kevin and none of your other fish catch it. Good luck.

Back