ID for Weird Purple Algae please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hi Boomer,

I got a friend to take some closeups of my algae. They turned out pretty good and are attached. I hope you can tell me what it is but regardless I really appreciate your help!

Attachments

• unknown algae closeup.jpg
    unknown algae closeup.jpg
    70.7 KB
Jill

It is Jania sp is all we can say. There are many species of Jania. The image is still not good enough for positive ID to exact species. Even if it was a perfect pic we may not be able to ID to exact Jania species and it may be a lab only ID. Color can vary, as can appearance of the same exact species. Then there is the aquarium thing, where some take on a whole different look for some species of algae of aquarium vs wild. We found this out with the "Red Rabbit Ear" algae that Woodstock wanted me to ID. Even the worlds leading expert on red algae could not ID in the lab.

Jania
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&q=Jania

A good close-up up of Jania rubens
http://www.unige.ch/sciences/biologie/biani/msg/teaching/photos liste/Jania rubens.JPG

Tecno

It is Irish moss, Chondrus crispus. But that does not mean that is what you have, need a sharp, clear, detailed close-up pic.

I can tell you NC2WA that I don't want it in my tank! Its pretty but invasive. It climbs all around the bases of my acro's and could smother them if I didn't prune it. It would be great if it was under control.

Boomer! Thank very much for pinning it down to Jania sp. In reviewing more pictures of jania I agree with your conclusion. I just don't know why or how it showed up. Could it have anything to do with the fact that I changed salts? It seemed to appear soon after I switched from Tropic Marin to DD Pro.

My tank (like everyone's I suppose) has evoloved since inception over 2 years ago and had various algae blooms and booms. First it was the hair algae, then I had some huge beautiful scroll alage , then red turf algae and now jania. The previous algaes have all gone away, Do you think the jania might go away on its own after some time?

Anyway, its nice to know roughly what it is.

Thanks again.
Jill

Oh, the other thing Boomer is that I had to minimize the size of the pic I posted because the original has way way more pixels than what is allowed for posting. I gave up trying to figure out how to post one with greater detail.

Jill

OK and thanks

NC

I like the algae is its an articulated "coarlline". However, it or any algae can be an issue if it has run-away growth like Jill has

Boomer,

Can I pester you for another quick ID? Most of my bubble algae and hair algae is fading but these tufts are appearing....

IMG_9397-Copy.jpg

IMG_9396.jpg

Thanks,
Jim

Back