ID on a mystery 'nem?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

khaosinc

the cyborg reefer
Had this in my tank for over a year now, and its maybe doubled in size, to about the size of a nickel. I'd of never noticed it exept for where I put the rock, so I suspect it was kicking around in my old tank as well.

Never moved, never split so I doubt its a Manjo which people thought it was at first when I tried to ID it a year ago. Dang pretty under actinics but my camera can't do blue pic lights. Floreces with about 4 different colors.

038-1.jpg

037-1.jpg

039-1.jpg

Looks like a flower anemone to me. I've also heard them called flower pot anemonies. I have one....mine has neon green tentacle things...It's pretty cool I think. Mine is about the size of a quarter. I feed it little tidbits when I feed the big anemonies.

I'd say it is a "flower anemone also.
I have some green ones now and I see different colors popping up alot in different tanks.
I had some light gree/blue ones a few years ago.

i use to have about 6 of them i just kept on a small rock away from everything else. if you dont want this guy ill take it =)

LOL... this is why I usually ignore everthiing for at least a year.

Funny though. Still pretty dang small for something that has to have been in my tank for a couple years. Its got at least 4 colors... blue and green on the oral disk and orange,pink and green tips.

This thing grows up like that it may get its own tank..

Last edited:
Little close to a whole mess of Zoas. Have to convince it to move before I do something like that. I'm a compulsive overfeeder, and it gets something a couple times a week.

Prob wouldn't feed it either that close to zoas, never could get mine to move i think once the rock nem is planted thats it...

Most flower nems are brightly colored and prefer to be "rooted" in sand with just the head showing. If it never grows any bigger, it could be a majano. As to the little ones (up to an inch) that reproduce all over ones rocks, they are definately majanos.

Back